The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Red face How to catch mare's urine?

So I got one of the home pregnancy test kits. MARE pregnancy test kits, just to be clear... My schedule is too nuts right now to trailer in for a palp. And I'm only suspicious, not worried...

I wanted to try the Wee Foal kit just to have an idea for myself and a breeder friend... it seems like it would be super for the late winter worries we all get sometimes. Fairly cheap (vs. $85 farm call and $65 for the 120 + day blood test from the vet) non-invasive... Simple, right? Right?

Kit arrived promptly, directions are clear and simple... EXCEPT...

How do you get a mare to pee in a cup??

I had a brilliant setup--or so I thought--I used an old pair of nylons, put the gauze in the panty part, tied that off, and then tied the legs to the back of an old anti-sweat scrim sheet. LOOKED perfect.

But she never peed. Or I placed it wrong... All evening=nothing. Left it on when I left for work, got home this morning, there was a wet spot where she slept in the mud, but no urine.

During the day when I slept, she managed to trash the scrim (it was old and ripped anyway) and get it off. The MINUTE I opened the door this afternoon to go out... she stretched out and went. I RAN in my pj's and was not fast enough.

So I washed out the nylons and plan to put a more substantial sheet on her tomorrow morning when I get home from work and let her wear that while I sleep...

Does anyone have any other ideas for collecting urine? I don't have stalls set up at the moment... (I have 'convertible' barns, they're set as run-ins unless we've got foals coming...) she's not one to pee in clean shavings anyway.

Last night when I fed grain (and fed the boys first and streeeeetched out the putting up of the girls' feed) the other two mares both peed. Not Tate.

I really think the $25 blood test (BioPRYNes) would've been easier, but I stuck the poor thing FIVE times without ever hitting the vein. I've NEVER had that much trouble. That's when I ordered the pee test.

How on EARTH do you get a mare to pee in a cup?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I rode a mare one time that had mult bladder stones - in order to PROVE this to the vet that she had blood in her urine we had to catch urine. We knew that the mare ALWAYS peed after being ridden (just one of her things and I'm sure the bladder stones didn't help). The owner took a long stick, duck taped a cup on the end of it and I rode her for 20 mins. Got off her, untacked, put her in the stall and VOILA she started to pee. Owner stuck the cup back under the stream and caught some...
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Well, she's only been ridden a handful of times... and I've not observed that behaviour... so that one's out...

But you can use the cup on the stick to catch it... you just have to know when she pees...

some mares will peen when they eat (I have one filly that ALWAYS pees when I toss hay - I think she is marking her hay/territory so the others don't eat it)...
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

My mare always pees when she comes in after being out for more than a couple of hours, 1st thing she does. I had to catch her pee once, got a cup from my vet, brought mare in after being out all night and just stuck the cup in her stream as she peed. Like others said, knowing the horse's tendencies/habits are very helpful in this case.

I was going to say, being helpful of course, to just lead her up to the stallion and catch her pee. We do that on the farm.

BUT......LOL.......shes pregnant (hopefully), so scratch that great idea.

Some of my mares pee the minute they come into the stall from being out all day ( "Thank God they let me in, I have had to pee all day" they say. Humm......do u have one of those types?

Guess I have nothing helpful to say. But I was thinking about it.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Sugarbrook--I actually thought the same thing for a minute this afternoon--she was making muzzles with the boys (a colt, a stallion & the gelding) over the fence, and I thought **ah, NOW I'll get her**...

And then realized if she did, I wouldn't need it.

So, you're not alone!

I don't think she'll have any problem with me actually getting it should I *catch* her peeing... The one time I've seen her do it though, was when she first saw me this afternoon (my morning) Which could well be her *thing* since I put the dogs out and very shortly after go out to feed 'breakfast.'

The question is, can I GET to her fast enough t'mow if she repeats the behaviour??

Well, my mare is such a hussy, I collected her urine as she peed saying Hi to a new gelding....Yes, I used the Wee foal, and it said she is in foal. Nobody thought I could "get her to pee in the cup" but, a fresh pile of shavings and saying Hi to a new guy was all it took....and an old soup ladle....

If she was trained for the track, whistle and she should obligue.
    You may try whistling anyway, or running water from a hose where she can hear it.

Is it really easier to try all this nonsense than to have the vet out to do a 2 minute, $30 ultrasound?

No, not easier on the one hand, but there is no such thing as:
    a) having the vet out, (it's a trailer IN for anything non-emergent, and even for lots of emergent issues)
    Or
    b) $30 U/S, it's $35 "office fee" now to trailer in, plus gas, 90 mi one way, plus $35 palp. Not to mention it's an entire afternoon that I just don't have right now.

The $25 BioPRYNes blood test really seemed perfect, until I couldn't find a vein on this horse. I can push on it, see it bulge, put the needle in, and Just Can Not Get Blood. Of course, the nurse could not get MY blood the other day, and showed me a trick to use a smaller needle, tube & syringe rather than the vacutainer. She said with some veins the vacutainer 'sucks' them closed too quickly and you don't get any blood. <shrugs>

Too late now, spent the $$ for the pee test, now need pee!

Besides, I can't watch Mare Stare on my computer... I need SOME kind of entertainment in this unusually early Spring up he'ah!

Can't watch marestare???? I think I would die....

BTW, which mare is this that you are endevoring to get a sample from?? who is she bred to?
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Smile

Do you think if you add extra salt to her next meal that she would drink more water, therefore giving you more opportunities in which to catch this elusive sample?
    Good Luck!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Default Clean shavings

Put a nice fluffy bag of shaving down in a nice bed for her to pee on. Bring the mares in. One will pee, then they will all pee. Do NOT run down the barn aisle waving your stick and cup...be cool...it helps if she has seen you waving the cup stick about her before you need to catch the pee...and the stick and cup are for wusses...just a clean container...reach out...catch some...test some...go wash hands...be a she woman. Clean fluffy shavings...they can't resist. PatO

Rhy, the mare is my orphan SillyFilly, aka Inncantation, daughter of my stallion, and the granddaughter of my Big Bay Broodmare Extraordinaire(tm) InnisFaeth,(who she resembles incredibly ) Tate came into raging heat the same day I bred said BBBE(tm) to Sempatico last summer. I was pretty sure I missed the BBBE(tm), I knew she absolutely wouldn't make it to use the second dose... and Liz graciously agreed to let me use it on Tate.

She was a maiden, and had a persistant hymen. There was some blood... so I wasn't horribly surprized when she came into heat again at 19 days, right alongside Gramma.

However, I've been suspicious since about late January. I'm not all that hopeful... just... mildly suspicious.

PatO--no stalls at the moment. Perhaps I'll actually get the barns changed around for summer before I catch her though...

I have caught urine with a cup on a stick several times, just try to learn when she normally pees as others have said. I would go with the blood test-would think it would be more reliable. Is there someone near you, or a vet tech who can help you draw blood?

bittersweet....

I'll say some prayers that you get the answer you want.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

If you lock her up with plenty of clean shavings (since she doesn't like to soil them) and then bring her out right before you feed, or before you let the dogs out, maybe she will let loose when you are there.

Try to act casual.

Mine will always do a nervous pee when I start to tease them with the stallion, even if they are not in heat. My stallion always says "They're tied up? They must be ready!!!!"

Try to act casual.

Sorry, slight OT, but this brought back memories of my chasing my male Basset/Lab mix around trying to catch his pee in an aluminum pie plate as my vet had instructed... gave my then young kids some great entertainment, and practically broke my back.