The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stolen Mounting Block Stolen and others riding in our soaked ring

Ugggh! I am at a self care barn and between that has 12 people that are in and out at all times of the day but, someone has managed to steal our mounting block in the friggin rain!
    We have been waiting for our grass ring to dry so we don't tear it up and make ruts, but someone, who does not belong in our barn, has been riding in it, moving jumps and tearing it up! We have another barn up the street and if someone is coming from there, they apparently know when the best time is, maybe stalkers?? LOL! We have locking tack boxes but I have been there 7 years w/o a thing going missing or any other problems, my tack is at home, will carry to barn even if i have locking box! Took the block, can probably carry my tack box out! This is a rant, of course! I just hate people who STEAL!

OMG lol. That's just .... absurd...

The other day I realized my old, ratty Big D halter that I used as emergency backup for bathing had been stolen. I mean, it was puke green and mud colored with three frayed holes and while 1" web it was Arabian sized so kind of odd all together.

They left the triple stitched solid brass hardware leather stallion halters I ordered from Kentucky Horse but stole my POS 15 year old nylon one lol.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Twice in 27 years, we have had our mounting block stolen. It happened to be "kind of" near the trash cans. WHY do they think a large wooden set of steps is trash? Now we keep it way away from there so it is not mistaken. There are many things I TRY to get them to take, and they leave them week after week.

Oh that stinks!

I'm at a self-care barn too, but fortunately we're behind 3 houses, so not visible from the street. Hehehe, even if someone wanted to, they would have a hard time stealing my mounting platform. That sucker is HEAVY! http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564194878ccerQq

Regardless, me and the other two borders keep our things locked up in tack closets just in case someone comes snooping.

Perhaps it's time to start pulling your jumps to the side rail and running a long bike chain around it with a padlock...like last person out does it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I'd be more upset about the ruts in the arena....

Not to mention you might find somebody as lawn dart one day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Appypatches View Post
    I just hate people who STEAL!

I hate people who steal too!

I would recommend speaking to the owner of the barn and getting permission to do the following:

• Put up no trespassing signs at the entrance to the property and at the arena, along with a sign that says only those boarding on the property are allowed to use the arena
    • Put a chain and padlock on the entrance to the arena and have 12 keys made for the boarders and barn owner.
    • If a stranger uses the arena after the signs are posted, file a report regarding the trespasser with the police.

I would call the police and file a report about the missing mounting block. There may be other things that come up missing in the future and you should put the police on alert you are having a problem. Also, spray paint your name on your new mounting block.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I'd be more upset about the ruts in the arena....

Not to mention you might find somebody as lawn dart one day...

I'm betting it's an inside job and that person is cracking up that the other people think it's some random person from some other barn.

Default PITA

Sorry about the mounting block what a PITA ! People can be so RUDE ! That's why I stick with animals ~ thinking like tidy rabbit it is an inside job. Does anyone there have horses elsewhere?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Default omg

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Oh that stinks!

I'm at a self-care barn too, but fortunately we're behind 3 houses, so not visible from the street. Hehehe, even if someone wanted to, they would have a hard time stealing my mounting platform. That sucker is HEAVY! http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564194878ccerQq
    We have a "platform" at my barn too, only I call it the "dock" ... My horse is around 16.1, and I feel like I am lowering myself onto him from the giant thing instead of initially using any upward motion! It's kinda trippy! And yes, would be very difficult to walk off with.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I like the idea about locking the ring, we could actually do that with a combo lock and I am sure the owner would not mind. We asked everyone at both barns so we know it's not an inside job. I would like to go to the barn up the street to snoop around for it, but I don't know anyone who boards there anymore so there is no reason to go there. I think I will have my hubby and his friend build us one out of wood, drill a hole in it for a chain and lock too. Keeping my tack at home for now, I need to get a better one anyway!

Sadly, both of the ones we have had taken have been wood, made of the precut stair risers with wood on each step. It is pretty heavy, and bulky.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

want to be a detective?

Go to the other barn posing as a potential boarder. Tell them you have a really tall horse and need a tall mounting block. They might happily show you to their super sized mounting block, just acquired. And ask where you are allowed to ride off property in the area. They might joyfully confess!

Then you can have the vice squad come screaming into their barnyard with a camera crew and everything! and you can have that guy who does that show, "To Catch a Predator" tell them that they have been caught red handed. and then you can post the film on COTH with their face all blacked out and stuff!!!

seriously, I need to not watch so much tv.

I vote for locking the gate on the arena
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    I vote for locking the gate on the arena
    That may work if your mounting block is really heavy. Most people can climb a fence though.

A mounting "block" in the arena is really easy to protect though. We built a 12' long wall. It is 2' wide, has 2' colums on each end, with an 8' x 2' center wall for jumping. That makes the best mounting block, and spectator seat I know.

We have to take a few people to roll it over, and pick it up with the tractor bucket to move it. I don't think it will go any place soon.

Put up a very visible sign that says "DANGER!!! Arena closed due to nails in footing"

That should keep the trespassers out.