The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks All,
    Heres the scoop.
    Remember when you read ads, see pictures and talk to the owners on the phone- What you expect may not be what you get.
    Diva, Is here to stay, so no worries there.
    She is about 50/75# under weight
    Bad muck itch as high as fetlocks all 4
    Not sound-Will get new shoes tomorrow
    Not current on Vaccinations
    Teeth were done 18 months ago
    Extremely swaybacked
    Drags right hind
    Urine dark and foul smelling
    Ignorant and pushy on the ground

But-Put all that aside
    We've been working on the barn rules and although extremely unhappy she is giving in.
    Bathed and body clipped, she looks more swaybacked but cleaner and happier.

Tried riding-Completely inverted and would not come down,turn,stop. Well really anything except have her head as high as possible, lock her jaw and go where she wanted.

Dismounted try again- With Drawreins
    Never even offered to get heavy W/T/C. Canters disunited.
    The training is in there, just need to find it.

Starting with;
    New shoes/ different angles [well matching angles]
    Blood work- to check everything especially Kidneys
    Teeth being done early next week
    May 6 appointment with Chiro/Accu Vet

If theres an interest, I will update in Off Topic.

I originally contacted just to keep her from auction, so regardless if she can be brought back to ride or not, all of my horses live with me for life and get Euthanized and buried here.
    She is safe.

Looks like Diva got very lucky when she stepped off the trailer to your place. It's a shame that she was so misrepresented. Best of luck with her.
    Last edited by datdog; Apr. 15, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Thank you for taking care of her. It's much more work, but it's more rewarding to bring back one that REALLY really needs some help... Do keep us updated.

You have GOT to be kidding me??? What a bunch of liars!

But I must say that Diva really did luck out and I hope she comes around for a useful purpose for such a wonderful rescuer. I wll be looking for updates in Off Topic and will try to find that email that made those wonderful phony claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltc4h View Post
    Thanks All,
    Heres the scoop.
    Remember when you read ads, see pictures and talk to the owners on the phone- What you expect may not be what you get.
    Diva, Is here to stay, so no worries there.
    She is about 50/75# under weight
    Bad muck itch as high as fetlocks all 4
    Not sound-Will get new shoes tomorrow
    Not current on Vaccinations
    Extremely swaybacked
    Drags right hind
    Ignorant and pushy on the ground

But-Put all that aside
    We've been working on the barn rules and although extremely unhappy she is giving in.
    Bathed and body clipped, she looks more swaybacked but cleaner and happier.

Tried riding-Completely inverted and would not come down,turn,stop. Well really anything except have her head as high as possible, lock her jaw and go where she wanted.

Dismounted try again- With Drawreins
    Never even offered to get heavy W/T/C. Canters disunited.
    The training is in there, just need to find it.

Starting with;
    New shoes/ different angles [well matching angles]
    Blood work- to check everything especially Kidneys
    Teeth being done early next week
    May 6 appointment with Chiro/Accu Vet

If theres an interest, I will update in Off Topic.

I originally contacted just to keep her from auction, so regardless if she can be brought back to ride or not, all of my horses live with me for life and get Euthanized and buried here.
    She is safe.
    No offense but what the hell are you doing trying to ride her if she is in that bad of shape? Not sound, dragging a leg but you put her in draw reins and wonder why she is having trouble cantering? Freaking disgusting if you ask me. She would have been better off dead.

:/

she must be menapausal! its so easy to say be dead..i guess when your in the tb raceing business like she is, its easy to do that..being judgemental to some one who is trying to save this life, we may ask why do you run babys on the track only to break them down because there bones arent knitted yet, why when they have run there hearts out and made lots of money when there done are they thrown away? why do you run a horse even if it doesent feel like it,,why do you bring more babys into the world when have to many? for you its money,for some of us its to save what you throw away...get off her back and take a look in the mirror before you jump on this lady..you need to opoligize to her that was totally uncalled for...what she was doing was evaluating this horse.

walk softly and be one with your horse

I don't have to apologize to anyone. What she did is WRONG. My track record speaks for itself. I have truly saved more horses this year than most people will ever lay eyes on in a lifetime. Evaluation can wait.

I agree with Laurie. If the horse is lame, underweight, and she likely hasn't been ridden in a while, riding w/t/c in draw reins is NOT a good idea. How awful.

I'm glad you took her, but please, use your head next time.

Rule #1...never ride a lame horse.
    Rule #2...fix horse before you ride.
    INFO FOR YOU:
    A sway back horse will ride inverted, that's how they got that way...draw reins do NOTHING to help a sway back-working the hind end will.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by fawn View Post
    she must be menapausal! its so easy to say be dead..i guess when your in the tb raceing business like she is, its easy to do that..being judgemental to some one who is trying to save this life, we may ask why do you run babys on the track only to break them down because there bones arent knitted yet, why when they have run there hearts out and made lots of money when there done are they thrown away? why do you run a horse even if it doesent feel like it,,why do you bring more babys into the world when have to many? for you its money,for some of us its to save what you throw away...get off her back and take a look in the mirror before you jump on this lady..you need to opoligize to her that was totally uncalled for...what she was doing was evaluating this horse.
    Pot meet kettle. You are the one being judgmental as you have no idea what Laurie's program is, however the mare's rescuer has given us insight into hers. Laurie is right on-- why the hell are they trying to ride a LAME horse? Really? They cannot wait until she has least had her feet done and been evaluated by a vet? Give me a break.

(And the word is APOLOGIZE.)

Ummmmm-why are you riding a lame, underweight horse?

Quote Originally Posted by altershmalter View Post
    Let alone one with dark urine--that would be the #1 priority for me as if there's something going on in the kidneys.....also, dragging a leg/foot?

Seroiusly, if she's in that bad a shape take the freakin' draw reins off and don't put a saddle on until she's fully vetted.

She really needs to be evaluated by a vet before she is valuated U/S honestly. Her feet need done, she's dragging a foot, she's under weight and built upside down. Draw reins wont correct that, you get a false frame, you force the neck down but the back is still a U.

Please, let the vet see her, get her feet done, put some weight on her a ler her be a horse and let her HEAL.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Extremely swaybacked
    Drags right hind
    If my mare had ONE of those things wrong, I'd be on the phone to the vet, not climbing on to see what she's like to ride, much less trying to pull her head down using the bars of her mouth as leverage.

Don't care if you "rescued" her or paid a million bucks. You're still wrong in so many ways.

Who was it said they had a stall ready for foster? I'm in for $50.00, and I NEVER donate to these things.
    NJR

Quote Originally Posted by altershmalter View Post
    Because apparently she missed Lesson One of Basic Horse Care & Common Sense!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Agreed.

Teeth maybe need done - maybe head way high up because bit hitting against something in her mouth and causing pain
    Swayback - maybe pain in her spine causing her to put her head way up
    Dragging leg - maybe pain when moving causing her to put her head way up

Great idea to put draw reins on to drag back down though - not!

Get her evaluated before getting onto her. Poor thing.

Yeah, dragging a back leg and sway backed, ten to one she's got some upper body/sping issues, and draw reins would seriously injure a horse like that, forcing her to carry herself in a way she doesn't have the strength to do.

You don't take a sick horse and work it, you sort its health issues and let it rest and take a look at it over several months, or a year. Bad move. I thought the same when I read the new owner cavalierly ticking off what she put the mare through, after observing she was thin, dark urine, sway back and dragging a back leg. Christ, what if there is a kidney or liver problem with that urine, and she rode it.

Augh, I gotta get off this thread.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Christ, what if there is a kidney or liver problem with that urine, and she rode it.
    I had the same thought. Geez, I've passed 15 kidney stones in the last 2 years, anything kidney related is painful. I can't imagine someone putting me in draw reins & banging on my back when I was down and out.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

in the tiny cottage behind three maple trees

Sounds like this poor mare went from the frying pan into the fire. WTF do you think you're doing, riding a mare you know is not sound and may well have other serious health issues?!?

Christ almighty. At least figure out what's wrong with her and give her body a chance to heal before you slap the draw reins on and go to town.
    Full-time bargain hunter.