The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Those who purchased a GPA overseas...

I'm planning on ordering the speed air from Amira as soon as I can get to Dover and figure out my size. My question is, doesn't GPA have a replacement policy? Like if you have a fall you can ship it back to them and for $100 you get a brand new helmet. Or did I just dream this? I checked their website and didn't see anything about it. I'm curious to know if it is true, would this still apply assuming I purchased it in the UK but like in the US? Probably a duh question but just want to make sure before I decide to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Yes GPA has a US replacement policy. No it is not valid for a helmet purchased overseas. You must return it to the tack shop you purchased it from with the original sales receipt. I do not know whether they have an overseas replacement policy or not. The certifications are different for each country

Replacement policy is good for half the price of a replacement in the first year I believe.

If it's anything like CO's policy the amount they cover for replacement decreases as the helmet ages and they don't pay at all after 3 years.

Just make sure the helmet you purchase is certified for use over here in the US - sometimes the helmets aren't.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    Just make sure the helmet you purchase is certified for use over here in the US - sometimes the helmets aren't.
    This has been discussed numerous times. The likely hood that a steward will ask you to remove your helmet is very slim. I highly doubt international riders that come here to show pick up an American certified helmet to show in.

Yup, the absolute LAST thing I would be worried about would be getting "busted" for wearing a European GPA. I would like to hear from ONE person wearing an identifiable GPA who had to doff his or her cap for a steward at a show.

Me, I'm not sold on the importance of the replacement, personally. I mean, if you meet the special set of circumstances and can get the swap done it's totally worth it, of course. But the time window for replacement is quite limited and the money you save decreases pretty rapidly as time passes...

I mean, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a replacement, and if I bought a US GPA and was able to replace it I certainly would. But I don't think I'd let it make my decision to not get one from overseas at a deep discount.

But your mileage may vary!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Yup, the absolute LAST thing I would be worried about would be getting "busted" for wearing a European GPA. I would like to hear from ONE person wearing an identifiable GPA who had to doff his or her cap for a steward at a show.

Me, I'm not sold on the importance of the replacement, personally. I mean, if you meet the special set of circumstances and can get the swap done it's totally worth it, of course. But the time window for replacement is quite limited and the money you save decreases pretty rapidly as time passes...

I mean, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a replacement, and if I bought a US GPA and was able to replace it I certainly would. But I don't think I'd let it make my decision to not get one from overseas at a deep discount.

But your mileage may vary!
    Thanks for your post. I've been weighing the pros and cons. Pro-save $200 ordering from Amira rather than Dover. Con: Not being able to replace it at a discounted rate. But if the window for replacing it is rather small, I guess the pros out weigh the cons. Yippee!! Maybe I should order some sticky goo along with the helmet just to hold my butt in place so I don't mess the helmet up!

I just ordered from Amira two days ago - I have my fingers crossed that something actually shows up. I haven't gotten any word from them since to indicate that they were processing the order, but I heard from some people here that they were fast on shipping, so hopefully early next week......

BTW, for anyone who ordered a GPA from Amira - do you happen to remember how they shipped it? Fedex, UPS?? I ask because I had to put my work address on there, since they require a signature, and sometimes getting things here can get a bit complicated, since everybody uses a different address for our building. Just wanted to know what to be on the lookout for.

Also, did anybody get any kind of confirmation on their order, or email when it shipped, or any kind of communication at all? I'm just trying to figure out if I should see it soon, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post

I recently had to replace a GPA, I had bought it in December at Dover. The only thing that I had to meet that would be considered a special circumstance would be that the helmet had to be under a year old. I only paid $175 for the replacement. All I did was walk in, they looked up the purchase, I had to write a short blurb on a sheet about the accident, and that was it. I was expecting a fiasco and lots of questioning but it was all very straight forward. My blurb literally said "Horse spooked, went up, took off and I ended up on the ground head hitting first" ta da. New helmet. Didn't even ask me when the accident happened.
    So I think the replacement policy is VERY important as I can't afford to cough up $500 for a helmet every time I fall...I had looked into buying a new helmet from Amira but the fact that a replacement would be a hassle turned me off from it.

mbmarsh: I ordered my GPA speed air on the 19th, and it was shipped UPS. It got here on the 22nd. I did need to sign for it. If you send them an email asking the status of your order they will email you right back telling you if its in stock and how soon it should be on it's way

Quote Originally Posted by mbmarsh View Post
    BTW, for anyone who ordered a GPA from Amira - do you happen to remember how they shipped it? Fedex, UPS?? I ask because I had to put my work address on there, since they require a signature, and sometimes getting things here can get a bit complicated, since everybody uses a different address for our building. Just wanted to know what to be on the lookout for.

Also, did anybody get any kind of confirmation on their order, or email when it shipped, or any kind of communication at all? I'm just trying to figure out if I should see it soon, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TryMyRules View Post
    I recently had to replace a GPA, I had bought it in December at Dover. The only thing that I had to meet that would be considered a special circumstance would be that the helmet had to be under a year old. I only paid $175 for the replacement. All I did was walk in, they looked up the purchase, I had to write a short blurb on a sheet about the accident, and that was it. I was expecting a fiasco and lots of questioning but it was all very straight forward. My blurb literally said "Horse spooked, went up, took off and I ended up on the ground head hitting first" ta da. New helmet. Didn't even ask me when the accident happened.
    So I think the replacement policy is VERY important as I can't afford to cough up $500 for a helmet every time I fall...I had looked into buying a new helmet from Amira but the fact that a replacement would be a hassle turned me off from it.
    I certainly agree that in your case it worked out great!

But if you look at the two paragraph in my post that come after the paragraph you quoted, you'll see my own PERSONAL reasoning, and you'll see that I acknowledge that it may be a more important consideration for others than it is for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Interesting, I emailed Amira Thursday night to try to get a status on my order - I haven't received any response yet. Starting to get nervous..........

Holy batman! I sent them an email Thursday to get a status, didn't hear anything back, was starting to get worried - it showed up today! I'm speechless to say the least. They even included a free storage case, which is amazingly cool.

Now, I will say - I see no evidence of an ASTM sticker anywhere inside it, but I can't imagine anyone asking to see the inside of it.

So, not so great customer service, but boy do they ship fast and deliver the product! Wow!

Wow, that really is quite a deal! This is the first I've seen of this site. Do the helmets look exactly the same as those purchased in the US? Anyone know what accounts for the price difference?

BTW, The carrying case is 54 dollars. They make you uncheck a box to not get it, which is kind of lame because it's easy to not notice.

The price difference is the fact they (Amira) does not have to pay US/ North American customs on them. The second is they are NOT approved in the US or Canada. If they were they would have the sticker and label like the Charles Owens helmets that have all the approvals they pass on the inside of the helmet. Hueme Industries/ GPA does make helmets specific for each country. Amira is falsely advertising they meet the standards here or are approved here. Its very simple the helmet doesn't carry the approvals. But it is an individuals choice as to where they purchase their helmet.

A stewart can ask to check your helmet though it is not very likely.