The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Score Expectations? First show doing T2 & T4, first "A" show, 3 months training

After competing in our first "A" dressage show last weekend, my 5 y/o's first time(s) out in Training Level (Test 2 and Test 4), I'm curious about what other folks' expectations would be for those performances at that show.

I know that I am really, really pleased with how well he did - he really stepped up to the plate and went to work like an adult after a rough first 24 hours on the show grounds. My trainer was pleased and our barnmates were excited.

But....I can't help being curious about what others might expect from a horse who has had 3 months training at his first show in Training Level. We did intro a half dozen or so times last year, with me riding him about once every other week. He's a good egg

So if he were yours....what would YOU expect?

I would be happy to be going home with all body parts intact !
    (I have lively animals)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I'd be delighted with mid to high 60's!

We took my rising 5yo to her first little schooling show on the weekend, and she got a 62% on her first test of her life (T3 - circles are our friend ), which I was super excited about. I know we're both capable of better (i.e. she was tense, concerned about the little white fence etc), so I couldn't be happier!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

If my test didnt consist of halting every time we faced the tent and scooting away from it when facing the other way, Id be happy lol.

If you stayed on thru the whole test and stayed in the arena, then you hit a homerun. If you had any score over 60% with only 3 months training (at an A show), then that would be icing on the cake.

good job sounds like you had a good first show.
    arabsrock

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    If you stayed on thru the whole test and stayed in the arena, then you hit a homerun. If you had any score over 60% with only 3 months training (at an A show), then that would be icing on the cake.

arabsrock
    Yep!

Assuming good behavior (which is the main concern that early in the game) I would hope for a low to mid-60's score in a typical arab if that horse had taken well to transitions, etc. It would, of course, vary based upon the horse's personality, how well it was learning, etc. I would expect a lower score for a heavier breed, as they seem to take longer to develop the kind of gaits that will get them better scores as greenies. But again... totally varies based on the horse, and I agree with everyone that regardless of score, your description of behavior means it was successful!

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post

arabsrock
    Thanks! I was so proud of him. Our high score of the weekend was a 59.3%, in T2...so not far off 60% This facility really bugged him, unlike anywhere I've taken him before. He strongly disliked the CoverAll arena that was RightNextTo the very busy train tracks. I'll tell you what, how the sounds of the trains bounced around in the CoverAll, it sounded like the gates of hell were yawning It made me nervous!

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    If my test didnt consist of halting every time we faced the tent and scooting away from it when facing the other way, Id be happy lol.
    Oh gawd. I am just starting dressage lessons and I already KNOW this is going to be an issue with the pony. Glad to know I am not the only one! Maybe we can go into together on a tent and ship it back and forth to one another to "practice" with.
    Pamela Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    Thanks! I was so proud of him. Our high score of the weekend was a 59.3%, in T2...so not far off 60% This facility really bugged him, unlike anywhere I've taken him before. He strongly disliked the CoverAll arena that was RightNextTo the very busy train tracks. I'll tell you what, how the sounds of the trains bounced around in the CoverAll, it sounded like the gates of hell were yawning It made me nervous!
    Sounds like he did frantastic in a very scary place. I hope that mine can decide to hold it together once I get brave enough to get out there. I say Great Job! You have any pictures?
    Pamela Ellis

I don't "expect" any particular "score" when I take a horse out, whether it be a greenie or an experienced horse. What I "expect" is to try and keep my horses attention, on the aids and doing their job. With a green horse that sometimes has moments where they lapse and get off the aids, but I ride thru it and encourage them. Scores really don't tell me anything. I ahve had super rides where I knew the horse was really working to the best of their ability at the time and had mediocre scores. Likewise have had rides where I felt the horse wasn't working, sucking back etc, yet the score was reasonably high. So I don't really look at it from a "Score" aspect. Now WITHIN the test you can compare one mark on one movement against another pretty well and tell if you did better or worse as the test progressed (for the large part, and in the judges eyes) and then compare that to what YOU were feeling at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    That's EXACTLY what my horse did his first show! The judge was sitting in a horse trailer and he would balk, stop, break gait going towards it, and hightail-it going away from it. We had some LOVELY extended trots going towards A! I scored in the low 50's, it was bad, but hey, I stayed on!!

I'd be really happy if I could get into the 60's this year. We're going to start showing in May or June. He's in full training for this month.

An "almost" 60% is a respectable score for a youngster with only three months' training, especially in a noisy Coverall with trains going by!

Good on you. It'll only get better as he gains experience!

Sounds like he did well. But he has more than 3 months training, doesn't he? If you also showed him Intro last year? I don't go in with score expectations to the first few shows, I go in hoping for a positive experience. I do look at the scores and comments in the collectives - especially curious to see how different judges score gaits and rider score, but overall, no score goals, just happy to keep the horse in the ring, concentrating on his rider, and hopefully comfortable in all three gaits.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Two goals, when showing a baby in dressage.

1. Stay on.
    2. Stay in the arena.

Note that these two goals apply to not only the first dressage show, but to the first several dressage shows. If you get 75% of your "at home" performance within the first few shows, you're golden.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    Thanks! He strongly disliked the CoverAll arena that was RightNextTo the very busy train tracks. I'll tell you what, how the sounds of the trains bounced around in the CoverAll, it sounded like the gates of hell were yawning It made me nervous!
    never mind the score! Are you serious about a USDF show with a ring RIGHT NEXT TO active train tracks?!?!?!?!

Yeah, there's a lot of old hands who'd have trouble with that scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Yeah, there's a lot of old hands who'd have trouble with that scenario!
    ...And a lot of old hands who would NOT.

Congrats, ASB_Own_Me!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumChrome View Post
    Sounds like he did well. But he has more than 3 months training, doesn't he? If you also showed him Intro last year?
    I showed him Intro last year and rode him once every two weeks....he was at home with me, and between work (travel) and weather (no indoor), our twice-monthy lessons were all he did. Three months training = in training with a dressage trainer.

I was re-reading and realized there was an assumption made about the arena/show rings/CoverAll. The CoverAll was the warm up arena. The two show rings were in Hale Arena. The only place to warm up was in the CoverAll, there was just a small holding area in Hale next to the show rings. We realized the first day that warming up in the CoverAll was doing more harm than good, so we had limited warming up all weekend. The show rings were lovely and the sound from the trains wasn't too bad in there. Some longer relaxed warmups were certainly needed, but just not possible. Adding stress to the train noise was a gorgeous and very opinionated Freisian stallion who apparently liked blondes....regardless of sex Poor Atlas was not thrilled about the unwanted attention.

All in all, it was a good weekend. He went to work despite many new distractions and we had some really fabulous judges' comments. One judge came up to DH and me at the photographer's table while we were looking at our pictures, and said that she had very much enjoyed Atlas over the weekend and that she thought he was gorgeous and elegant :wub:

Just got home from another week/weekend gone, and will try to get video downloaded before leaving for the dog obedience trials this weekend. You can see photos here, click on Client Proofs/2010 Horse Shows/KCDS Kickoff/Kimberly Moore. I can't provide links because of how the site is set up, but my favorites are XW1L5486, XW1L5495, XW1L5515, and XW1L7679.
    Last edited by asb_own_me; Apr. 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Default enjoyed your pictures!

what a handsome fellow your Atlas is! Congrats on a successful outing!

Katja

Thanks tbmorgan!

Here are videos. He was T-E-N-S-E but he went to work and had quite the fan club at the show. We had a lot of admirers come watch each test and there was also a group of little girls enamored with his blonde-ness!

Training 2, Saturday

Training 4, Saturday

Training 2, Sunday

Training 4, Sunday

All scores and comments are posted in the video details.