The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which saddle

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albion Legend 5000 (has short flap) cheapest of all.

4 25.00%
  • Prestige Top

8 50.00%
  • Hulsebos Dressage -this one might get bid too high for me priced same as Prestige at the moment

4 25.00%

Default Need help deciding!!

I need help deciding between these saddles...I can't sit or try any of them before buying so its all on brand name and price.

Not sure how much the Albio short flap will affect me, as far as I researched its 15" think my current is about 17-18" but I ride a 15.3 arab so maybe a shorter flap would be ok? 30" inseam on me.

Thanks all - I'm horrible at deciding this stuff.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Have you ever had a chance to sit in an Albion? Among the people I know they're a love them or hate them brand. Personally, I LOVE them. I'm buying a non-Albion because I found a saddle which fits my horse perfectly, but Albions are the only type of saddle where I've gotten on and sighed "ahhhh" from the comfort. So to me, that'd be the best choice.

A few years ago I sat in every Albion they had at Devon. All had a twist too wide. I ultimately got 2 Albion Original Comfort saddles that have a wide twist but they don't make 'em anymore. The Albions fit my flat-backed Friesians. Someone at my barn had an Albion SLK that also fit one of my friesians well. I hated her saddle because of the narrow twist and she hated mine because of the wide twist. I don't know where the Legend fits in, twist wise.

I once had a Lauriche that was a 17" seat w/14" flap. I am 5'4, 31" inseam and the flap was fine. As long as it doesn't catch the top of your boot you're OK.

I have had 2 Prestige saddles in the past. Don't remember the models. They were lovely for me but did not fit my horses well. One of the Prestiges I had was looked at by a saddle fitter who said it couldn't be made to fit my flat-backed Friesian. The tree was sort of "banana" shaped and unsuitable.

Can't comment on the Hulsebos.

Thanks guys
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

To not be able to sit on that saddle while it is on your horse is an invitation to spending a lot of money without getting what you need. I would not do it. You will be buying a pig in a poke.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Know nothing about Hulsebos.

Albion can be widened, and the tree can actually be changed out. Back when I looked, was $400, I imagine it's gone up some since.

Agree completely they are a love/hate.

Prestige does curve up in the back. For some super-short backs, this is needed, and a good thing. Prestige trees can be adjusted very cheaply by Dover Saddlery and several other places, if you don't have a saddler available. (which the question indicates )

Prestige fit my mare, who was the same width as my stallion, 37cm, but she was slightly pear shaped--not a flat-flat back. I think the angle of the bars is the issue for the flat-flat back. OTOH, they are fabulous for long scapulars.

It SUCKS having to shop via mail.

My condolences.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I need help deciding between these saddles...I can't sit or try any of them before buying so its all on brand name and price.
    What a great way to waste your money!

well, in JS's defense, sometimes its opportune to pounce on a sight-unseen bargain. If the saddle doesn't work out, it can be resold, sometimes at a profit, and now you've gained experience with that model/brand to boot and can save yourself or help someone else in the future.

JS, they're all good brands, it really depends on your hunch on suitability. I had a Top that was wonderful and a Legend GP that was wonderful two. Both had a mediumish twist iirc, the albion being wide but not overly so. Both well made. The albion fit flat flat flat, the prestige more curvy. Both had very wide channels which is great, the prestige shorter panels, the albion more support out back. Both saddles I picked up for very good prices and ended up passing along to friends for what I paid. Neither saddle fit my beast, both fit my friends horses brilliantly.

see through my misfortune I helped others
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Found this thread here on Hulsebos:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148563

I voted for the prestige. From what I've heard they're easy to have work done on and have less of the love/hate thing. You may not love it, but you're not likely to hate it either. We have one trainer in our area that is an albion freak. She tries to get all her students in them. Of the 6 I know, none could find one they liked, so I'm thinking they might not be a good bet in your situation.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Not only does it need to fit you, it needs to fit y our horse too!! or there will be problems down the road, never heard of not being able to check out the saddle first.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

What a great way to waste your money!
    Like Buck22 said, not always. I'm doing my research AND i'm having a hard time finding a Prestige under 1k in this country so to spend $600 and turn around and sell it here if it doesn't fit means I may even make money, at the least I'll break even.

I've done this before on my KB saddle, imported it didn't like it, easily broke even on it.

LOL had another saddle thrown in the works now too is a Martin Wilkinson which is tempting me.

Another who loves her albion (found a medium so now have a wide tree for sale!) - and HATES the prestige.

Its a very personal choice - BUT I found the seat of the Prestige to be hard (this is a 2000D model if I recall correctly - about 5 years old).

The Prestige belongs to a friend - I use that when I ride her horse. Fits the horse great (short-backed mare) but I always feel like I have a bruised butt after riding in it (same seat size as my albion fwiw). I did not find it to have a more comfortable twist (my albion is a medium but rides more like a narrow).

All very personal choices.

Heck - IF I had the money, I'd have a Hennig and never need another saddle again!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

jacksprat, if you don't mind me asking, how many saddles have you bought untried just hoping they will work? I recall an awful lot of previous threads like this one.

Many of us have been on the saddle search and have found that the scattergun approach is not actually in the end all that economical.

I can't sit or try any of them before buying so its all on brand name and price.

Iif you have money to blow, go for it otherwise, if I'm allowed to say so it's a dumb idea.

Do they all have tree size, panel shape, etc. your horse needs? Do you have a saddle fitter to tweak the fit if needed?

As a saddle-aholic, the perfect saddle search can send you in a dizzying tizzy. My horse and I have a princess and the pea issue or so I thought. I had a saddle fitter check him and come to find out he is asymmetrical. This explains so much. He will need to have a saddle flocked to fit his back so whatever saddle I get I personally need to love. Unless it is an unbelievable deal, see if the seller will do a trial or maybe find a place that will. Never hurts to ask.

Anyway, can you send tracings to the saddle owners to see if your horse matches up to the tree choice/panel shape? This can be helpful.

Best of luck. I feel your pain in the search for the perfect saddle.

Happy Riding,
    Jessie & The Stinky Pony aka Bosco

The absolute best, and ONLY saddle to buy, is the one that fits you AND your horse and is comfortable for both. Throw away the 'brand name aura' and 'reputation' and get one that fits.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I own a prestige 2000D as well as a hulsebos wb4.
    They really ride very differently depending on what you like. They both have large soft blocks but the prestige has a very hard flat seat. The Hulsebos is a deep extremely soft seat (they fit small an 18 fits more like a 17.5). The prestige tree is also curvier. My entire barn now owns Hulsebos saddles. All we had to do was sit in one to be sold on it. They are pricey but I got a demo from them for half the price of a new one and it was only 3 months old. They also have a north american rep now so they will be out more often.