The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter pony breeders that use section A welsh

Would love to hear from some Hunter pony breeders that have successfully used Section A welsh ponies in their breeding program! Also, what did you corss your A with to get the desired hunter pony result!
    Looking forward to hearing opinions!
    Crown Ridge Farms
    Breeding Quality Hunter, Welsh and British Riding Ponies
    Youngstock available for sale & Stallions at Stud
    www.crownridgefarms.com

Section A Stallion Pengwyn has been very successful when crossed with TB mares.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

From a bloodlines standpoint, certain ones have been very successful like the Liseter bloodlines as Pengwyn has. Another very successful Sec. A hunter pony stallion is JLA Sir William, who also has Liseter lines. The Coed Coch influence has been very positive and shows up in those ponies as well. Rowfantina Gold Sovereign, another very successful Sec. A hunter stallion is almost entirely Coed Coch bred. I am not a Sec. A breeder by any means and no expert on the bloodlines - these are just my observations. I encourage you to speak with Paula Jo Bright, www.thistleworthwelsh.com. She has, in my opinion, one of the best herds of Section As in the country, and several outstanding stallions. While she does not stand them at public stud, she will facilitate a breeding to the right mare. She is also full of information about Sec. A breeding in general and a very nice person to work with. Best of luck!
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Quote Originally Posted by crownridgefarms
    Also, what did you corss your A with to get the desired hunter pony result!
    Looking forward to hearing opinions!

Because Section A's typically don't have the "desired hunter movement", breeding to a good moving TB mare improves that option.

There are many, many nice Section A stallion out there. Get yourself a fancy TB mare (and you can use a 15.3 hand size) and go for it!
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Interesting that you have both only mentioned section A sires.
    What about using the section A mare?
    Crown Ridge Farms
    www.crownridgefarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverponies View Post
    From a bloodlines standpoint, certain ones have been very successful like the Liseter bloodlines as Pengwyn has. Another very successful Sec. A hunter pony stallion is JLA Sir William, who also has Liseter lines. The Coed Coch influence has been very positive and shows up in those ponies as well. Rowfantina Gold Sovereign, another very successful Sec. A hunter stallion is almost entirely Coed Coch bred. I am not a Sec. A breeder by any means and no expert on the bloodlines - these are just my observations. I encourage you to speak with Paula Jo Bright, www.thistleworthwelsh.com. She has, in my opinion, one of the best herds of Section As in the country, and several outstanding stallions. While she does not stand them at public stud, she will facilitate a breeding to the right mare. She is also full of information about Sec. A breeding in general and a very nice person to work with. Best of luck!
    I have never used A's myself but I just wanted to say that Paula Jo Bright is a super nice lady and will be more than willing to talk to you about ponies. She was very kind to me when I first was starting out (not very long ago). I agree that Liseter lines seem to be very successful in the hunter world. Some other section A stallions with success in that area are: *Pendock Larkspur, who is by Revel Jeeves, and is a really nice stallion also who is higher up in the rankings for USEF. Heavenly pony had him there for a few years to cross with their section A mares and he produced a lot of nice babies for them. You can still see some on their website www.heavenlypony.com in addition to a video of him moving at 28 years old. I always mention him because I wish I could pry one of my husband's tb mares out of his hands to breed them to him (he is OLD!). There is also *Penrhyn Sporting Chance, who Daventry can tell you about, who has been highly ranked. Clarwood Welsh ponies also has Liseter lines in their ponies, their site is www.clarwoodwelshponies.com.

Quote Originally Posted by crownridgefarms
    Interesting that you have both only mentioned section A sires.
    What about using the section A mare?
    You can't get any size that way, that's why I mentioned only sires.

Without question, Penrhyn Sporting Chance is one of the nicest Section A's out there. He's sired so many Champions it's not funny.

http://www.albertahorse.com/daventry...portingchance/

Quote Originally Posted by Summerwood
    Other section A stallions with success in that area are: *Pendock Larkspur, who is by Revel Jeeves, and is a really nice stallion also who is higher up in the rankings for USEF. Heavenly pony had him there for a few years to cross with their section A mares and he produced a lot of nice babies for them. You can still see some on their website www.heavenlypony.com in addition to a video of him moving at 28 years old. I always mention him because I wish I could pry one of my husband's tb mares out of his hands to breed them to him (he is OLD!).
    He is owned by Dianne Randolph, Hidden Springs Farm in Blacksburg, South Carolina and I've seen him many times and LOVE him.

http://www.hiddenspringsfarminc.com/stallions.htm

I'm breeding a lovely mare to him this year!

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBred View Post
    Without question, Penrhyn Sporting Chance is one of the nicest Section A's out there. He's sired so many Champions it's not funny.
    Thanks for the kind comments. We quite like the little guy A few offspring photos below. Hoping to have some fabulous new photos of him this spring once he sheds out. And Pendock Larkspur is amazing in person!

And yes, the reason you always see Section A stallions used on bigger mares for the pony hunter circuit is you can still get some size from the foals. Much harder to get size out of a Section A mare!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allheart.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	28666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monroesm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	28667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sportinglife.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	28668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mistyblueparissm.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	28669  
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

We have a charming and very correct crossbred colt that will be a large, by Telynau Falcon ( Section A) on a small TB mare. He is very flashy and can be seen at Sakura Hill Farm.com, "Young Horses" ( 2008 foals)- Sakura Hill Sensei.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Default Austin

I saw a section A at the Royal a few years back whose name is Austin. He was in driving. He moved awesome!! for hunter movement and I would love to breed to him. I'm not sure where he stands or what he produces but, he's beautiful and talented...he won everything he was in

Glannant Country Roads was another A that Helicon used in their program. He produced some really nice ponies.

Rowfantina Gold Sovereign is an A. He is pretty famous. A lot are larges, but off the top of my head, Champlain Clementine ( dam of Tangerine), is a small.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Quote Originally Posted by SSFLandon View Post
    I saw a section A at the Royal a few years back whose name is Austin. He was in driving. He moved awesome!! for hunter movement and I would love to breed to him. I'm not sure where he stands or what he produces but, he's beautiful and talented...he won everything he was in
    Was this the stallion you were talking about
    http://www.relhok.ca/rfstallionaustin.htm
    He is a very handsome boy!
    Crown Ridge Farms
    www.crownridgefarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by crownridgefarms View Post
    YES, I love him. When I saw him move at the Royal I fell in love wih him. I did not see on the website a breeding fee but, he's a looker!!! I'll have to check around more closely because I also wonder what he is producing

Quote Originally Posted by crownridgefarms View Post
    I think I'm in love....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    I think I'm in love....

hehe, I said he was adorable and talented! Not sure how many mares he's been bred too as the website does not have much info but, he may be worth checking out for sure!