The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ? re: Average number of races for a horse

Does anyone know where I could find some statistics on the average number of races a horse runs per year and the average time off between races?

I'm looking at an OTTB that ran in 6 races in July/August last year, which seems like a lot to me, but maybe it's not?

Thanks so much.

http://www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/re...lity_essay.pdf

I'd say a horse in good racing condition could/would probably run once every 2-3 weeks on average depending on opportunity & trainer philosophy. Sometimes you can't get into a race that fits; sometimes it's a short meet and the horse might race more often. In sort - it depends.

6 races in two months seems like a lot to me, but - depends on how the horse did, where he was racing, etc and what the trainer generally does and how successful s/he is at doing it. Clear as mud?
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Yep! Clear as mud!

She raced at Canterbury so I'm guessing there weren't that many races to choose from.

She had her first race in early July, then raced again 8 days later, then 16 days, then 7 days, then 14 days, then 7 days. She was bottom of the pack, but never dead last (so she must not be a quitter), but I would think she must have been tired.

She took a month off and then went straight into Polo training, which she doesn't care for, so they are selling her.

I'm trying to decide if she should have a long break before starting career #3 within 9 months of her starting her first career. I don't want to fry her...

Thank you for the link and response... this is helpful!
    Last edited by Kodidog763; Mar. 31, 2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: because sometimes I forget to say Thank You!

I think you have to look at her attitude rather than the calendar. Is she perky and interested in working or is she cranky and avoiding? Same as with people - some thrive on work, some need a break, some really don't wanna do anything.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!