The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about boarding mini horses or donkeys..

Does anyone here have miniature horses or donkeys that they keep at a boarding facility? If so, do you pay the same amount for board as those with 'big' horses? If you kept them at a self care facility, would you feel comfortable asking to pay a little less on the board bill than you do for you normal-sized horse?

Just askin..

Search the threads... long discussion on this not too long ago. Long/short of it- yes minis pay the same in most cases...

I'll speak from the side of the BO/BM. Yes, you'll pay the same; I gave no discounts to minis when I took boarders. Most of the costs (overhead, labor, property,etc.) that go into determining the monthly board fee are fixed. A mini might eat less, but that is a tiny amount of the overall board cost. Additionally, many minis MUST eat less, meaning extra labor is required to either muzzle them, or keep them on a dry lot with very limited food intake and ensuring appropriate companions.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    I'll speak from the side of the BO/BM. Yes, you'll pay the same; I gave no discounts to minis when I took boarders. Most of the costs (overhead, labor, property,etc.) that go into determining the monthly board fee are fixed. A mini might eat less, but that is a tiny amount of the overall board cost. Additionally, many minis MUST eat less, meaning extra labor is required to either muzzle them, or keep them on a dry lot with very limited food intake and ensuring appropriate companions.

I understand that, however, I was referring only to self-care facilities. Would that make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedoblivion View Post
    I understand that, however, I was referring only to self-care facilities. Would that make a difference?
    It would make even less of a difference in self-care facilities, because the owner of the barn is not paying for the feed costs, so they don't have to consider them when setting the price they're charging per stall. The per stall fee covers the basics like insurance, wear and tear on the building, maybe some profit, etc, and they will all be the same no matter what size horse occupies the stall.