The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Ebay Help! WWYD?

I recently purchased a sheepskin close contact show pad off of ebay for the upcoming show season. The auction ad claimed it had never been used and showed a picture that made it look nice. However, I received it yesterday and although it is pretty clean, it has snags on the quilted part, an obvious girth mark, and two huge tears in the sheepskin underneath!! The seller had 100% feedback, but took forever to send the pad and email me back, and now this!
    What should I do? I didn't ask before bidding whether or not the item was torn or stained(which I usually do, but somehow didn't this time). If someone claims it's never been used and shows a nice picture, doesn't that lead you to believe it wouldn't have any major damage? I've tried emailing the seller but they won't email back. Anyone else have bad experiences with buying horse stuff off of ebay?

That certainly doesn't sound new to me. I would file with Paypal and Ebay as Item not as described and see what happens. Can you still use the pad? You could always try to route of asking for a partial refund. If you want a complete refund, you will have to ship the pad back to the seller, and shipping fees are non-refundable.

I can still use the pad since you can't see the torn sheepskin when it's on a horse's back but I'm just kind of po'd since I was expecting a practically new pad! I'm also afraid that if I leave bad feedback for the seller, they'll leave me bad feedback which would hurt my rating...

sellers cannot leave bad feedback for buyers anymore. file a complaint with paypal and ebay to get your money back.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

You should read through the help section on ebay that deals with complaints, since my memory is fuzzy. You should be messaging her through ebay's system so you have a record of attempts to contact her. If that doesn't work you can initiate a complaint through ebay. I am not completely sure but I don't think sellers can leave negative feedback for buyers anymore.

Good luck, sorry you have to deal with this annoyance. Some people suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    sellers cannot leave bad feedback for buyers anymore. file a complaint with paypal and ebay to get your money back.
    Seriously? I don't really use Ebay much anymore to buy OR sell but that just sounds ridiculous.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Ok thanks! I just filed a claim. I have been messaging the seller through ebay so they should be able to see what I sent. I would accept a partial refund if I can keep the pad, but the pad I got is definitely not worth what I paid!!! Grrr, why can't people just be honest?! Anytime I sell anything, I make sure I list every little flaw I can find; even if it doesn't seem important/note worthy to me, it might be to the buyer....

If you used a credit card you can get a refund, just contact the credit card company. I believe its called a charge back. I bought a very expensive dvd set, turned out to be fake, on amazon. My bank tried to contact the seller and got no response so they reversed the transaction. And I couldnt even send the item back, as the seller wouldnt contact me, so I couldnt get their address. What idiots.

Here are the steps you are supposed to take in this situation:

1. E-mail the seller, say the item was NOT as described, and ask for a refund.

IF and only if the seller does not allow a refund or you fail to receive your money,

2. You file a complaint with Ebay.

Most sellers maintain their 100% feedback by solving issues such as misrepresentation by offering 100% refunds (plus shipping!).

Communicate with the seller. If they are not fair, THEN go to Ebay and/or Paypal.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

And that sort of nonsense is why I don't deal with eBay anymore. One item was a "new" bridesmaids' dress that, when it arrived, had obviously been altered.

The other was a pair of paddock boots ... the box said they were 7.5s, but the boots were actually 8.5s. It took almost 4 months for me to get my money back too.

Good luck getting it resolved.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    Seriously? I don't really use Ebay much anymore to buy OR sell but that just sounds ridiculous.
    Absolutely true. If the buyer pays for the item on time, they have met their end of the bargin. If it is an unpaid item, there are steps for that. That way the seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer who paid but was dissatisfied with the item or service. Trust me. It is a move in the right direction.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

I have had relatively great luck with ebay.
    If you are looking for sheepskin pads, I got mine from heliostack.
    It was BETTER than described. Fabulous seller.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

There is a certain time period that you have to wait and then you can file a complaint with paypal, which I really hope you used to pay the seller. If the item was listed as "new" and it obviously isn't you can base your complaint on item not as described. If the item was described as "new without tags" the seller has a little more leeway. Did the seller state a return policy?

Paypal will attempt to contact the seller and get a response from them. They act as the go between you and the seller. It sounds like the seller hasn't been good about getting back to you which is more ammunition for you. If paypal does not hear back from the seller in a specified time period then your purchase will be refunded. If you get a refund you should return the item to the seller. Sometimes the seller, in order to keep their feedback score high will tell you to keep the item anyway. If you did not use paypal to pay but used a credit card I believe you can go through the credit card company and file a dispute. I don't know how they treat ebay purchases though.

I have had great results when having to file a complaint using paypal. I would never buy something on ebay without using paypal. You have to jump through a couple of hoops but they really do work for you. I hope you are able to straighten things out!
    Five Star Tack

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Absolutely true. If the buyer pays for the item on time, they have met their end of the bargin. If it is an unpaid item, there are steps for that. That way the seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer who paid but was dissatisfied with the item or service. Trust me. It is a move in the right direction.
    See, I sell on eBay, and I don't agree that it was a move in the right direction. Sellers have no way to warn other sellers about wack-job buyers. And there are a ton of them. The list of stuff that I have to go through now when I ship stuff is insane. Every time I think I've covered my bases, a buyer comes up with a new one. Like the one that complained that a product did not work 4 months after receiving it (electronics). Really, dude? You spent several thousand dollars on an item, knew there was a return window, and did not try it out when you received it? It worked perfectly when it left me. I told you to retain the packaging material in case you needed a return (along with the fact that it was a custom box ordered specifically for your item to the tune of $100), but you threw it away? And now you want to return for a full refund? And if I don't give you a refund you'll just buy a cheap item off my site, leave terrible feedback and kill my ratings?

To the OP, I hate when sellers do that - sell stuff that they have misrepresented. That is why I take anything back, so long as it is in the condition it was when I sent it to you, no questions asked. If you're confident of your items, outline the conditions for returns, and communicate with your buyers, there's no reason to not take returns.

I agree with the others, file w/eBay and paypal. If the seller sells frequently on eBay, they'll likely respond to eBay, since their commission fee to eBay is based upon compliance with policies.

Luckily I did pay with Paypal. The seller responded and acted like I was talking about the girth slits/holes! Uh, of course those are supposed to be there... Come on lady, those tears must have come from somewhere; how could you not notice them?!?! I'll definitely be wary of buying anything else off of Ebay in the future...

If you do want to just send the item back to get your money back and not give your money to dishonest people I could try to hook you up. I'm in New Zealand and I just bought an awesome sheepskin pad (made from Australian wool, go figure) and I was so happy with the prices here. There is shipping of course. Next time I travel back to North America I'm going to stuff my suitcase with them!

There is a Canadian company that sell a lot of sheepskin merino pads on ebay. I got a half-pad from them and right after I received it I received a notice from Ebay and Pay Pal that they got banned for shill bidding. It got me mad that I was bidding against the actual seller when I bought this item, but at least I got it. What I HATE about Ebay is they let this seller back on...they even have the same user ID. Since they are a high volume seller, I guess ebay cares only about getting the $$$.

I am finding these days that as a buyer, you can find the same stuff for the same prices many times with free shipping directly from a tack dealers website. Though I did get a nice sheepskin half pad off EBay for 35.00 last week. Mostly it depends on what you are looking for and I always back up any items I am interested in with a Google search to assure myself I am getting the best deal.

I also hate selling on EBay. Between all of the fees you get charged by both Paypal and EBay you are better off selling off other sites or even Craig's List.

I have never had any issues selling tack, but I have always been honest and included tons of pictures. I did however learn a harsh lesson when I tried to sell some jewelry...... Buyer said item was scratched etc. Offered him refund on return of item and I got a whole different item returned to me. Never again..........

I just recently filed a "not as described" claim with Ebay for a bridle that I bought (it was supposed to be a black flash dressage bridle and when it came it had WHITE HARD PLASTIC runners and keepers and was about the craptastic-est material ever). I emailed the seller and asked for a refund. They said no, so I filed a claim with Ebay. It was easy-peasy lemon-squeezy- all I had to do was mail the bridle back with tracking and they automatically sent me a full refund (including shipping) when the tracking info showed it had arrived.

On another note, the only thing I don't like about the whole seller can't leave anything other than positive feedback or no feedback is when you have a non-paying bidder.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I agree ebay is making it hard for sellers to leave negative feedback on buyers. We've sold World Series and playoff tickets in the past and had buyers not pay. There wasn't much we could do except relist the tickets and of course we got less than the original offer.
    Five Star Tack