The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ? for those who wash Tailored Sortsmans...

Has anyone ever had a pair shrink with the cold water & Woolite method? I washed mine last time instead of dry cleaning and couldn't get them on Saturday morning! Yes, they were line-dried.

Now I have four pairs that are a size too small and one a pair too big (and they're huge!)
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I have never had a pair shrink, and I wash both my TS schooling breeches and my 2-way Royal Hunters in the machine, cold water/Woolite and hang to dry. In fact when I lost weight I tried shrinking them by putting them in the dryer and they still didn't shrink! Which is just as well since I eventually gained the weight back.

I wash mine inside out on cold in the regular laundry with regular detergent, and have never had any shrink.

Only when I accidentally left the water temp setting on warm....
    now they are a little snug

I've never heard of this before. I wash my own but use regular detergent. When I buy mine I put them in the dryer twice so they fit exactly how I like. Once turned the knee patches to hard leather instead of suede, stay away from oxi-clean!

I actually just washed some of mine for the first time last weekend - 4 way stretch SH, and Trophy hunters. Inside out, cold, regular detergent, threw em over the shower curtain to dry. I put the 4 ways on and I could tell they were a little snugger, but they stretched out again after I wore them for a few hours. I haven't put the trophy hunters on yet, but i hope they haven't shrunk because they were a little small to begin with

Maybe you got fatter?

Not that much, my dear. The pair that's only one size bigger are HUGE and there is far more than a 2" difference between them now.

Quote Originally Posted by JenMiller View Post
    Maybe you got fatter?
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

YES!! Ive had two pairs shrink

Sorry this happened. I have never had a pair shrink either. The schooling breeches shrink up a little, but stretch right back out. Can you take them let out?

I've also tried to shrink my 4-way ones and can't doing it even drying them on high!!! Maybe I should send them over to you

Hi, I have had this happen before and it is fixable. Soak them in water for a little while until they are completely wet again. Then, as uncomforatble, as this sounds put them on wet and wear them around for a few minutes. They should be stretched out again. I know it sounds wierd, but it does work. It also works great on jeans if you put them in the dryer by accident. Good luck.

Majanick: you think they'll stretch back out that far? I can't even zip or even get the hook fastened. (Trust me, I could when they went in!) I guess it's worth a (soggy) try, though, since I can't wear them as is.

I know it sounds miserable, but I do think it's worth a try. I had a pair of really nice jeans, same thing, they were put in the dryer and I could barely get them on my hips. A little wet time and now they are normal again. You probably won't be able to fasten them right away. I would put them on as best I could, keep them on for a little while and then try to do them up all the way. I really think it will work. It's better than another $200+. Good luck. The wetter they are the more they will restretch.

ugh, put my TS in with my reg breeches one time by accident and they shrunk a bit too and i washed with cold water.

my schoolies never shrink though, i wash them in the machine
    Last edited by superpony123; Mar. 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I put my TS Schoolie's and my Ariat's in the wash-regular cycle with regular detergent and warm water. Mine have never shrunk on me! I line dry 'em afterwards too. If they're occasionally too tight, I blame that on too much food hehe .

TS breeches are very easy to let out, just cut along the back seam, let it out and sew them back up. You can do it yourself or just take them to a tailor.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Wait... you don't have to dry clean them? Seriously? You can just wash them even if they have the suede on the knees? Because I have some that are a little big. I am going to turn them inside out and throw them in the wash right now. BTW, thanks for the Oxiclean tip, because I use it on everything!

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I'll try wearing them wet to see if they stretch back out. I can't really lose anything, I don't think. If not, I guess I've got another job for my boyfriend's mom (she's going to hate me!) Maybe I should just get her to teach me how to sew... Oh, wait, that would be hard without a machine, wouldn't it?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I wash my TS (and other brands) in my regular laundry - cold water, turned inside out, regular detergent. I hang them to dry and have never had a problem.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina