The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default horse abuse in KY

This is horrid.
    Some people make me sick

PLEASE CROSS POST

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 8:18 PM
    To: Marjorie Banks
    Subject: FW: URGENT!!!! Shelbyville, KY horse needs help in Shelbyville

The pictures at the bottom are of a horse in Shelbyville Kentucky. The horse is a mare who has been
    savaged by a stallion. The owner of the horse will not get her any help. We paid for a vet to go out
    Sunday evening to do what they could for the horse. She said the horse needs to be brought to a clinic
    for treatment. We also offered to pay for medical treatment for the horse.
    He said NO, they only way we can vet the horse is to buy it.
    Animal Control is not involved, but this is Kentucky, so I am not sure how much they will do to this man.

This horse will die with out treatment.
    The mans name and phone number are on this post. Please do not contact him.
    We are afraid he will put the horse down.
    Please call County Judge Exc. for that county

Rob Rothenburger
    Shelby County Judge-Executive
    502-633-1220

and tell him to have the man arrested
    This is abuse and must not go with out punishment to this man
    We can get this horse help if enough of us call and voice our opinions.
    James Collins has worked all day to try and get this horse help.
    He has done all he can do, now it is up to us help save this horse.

Sharon K. Ross

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 9:28 AM
    To: kellydcat; Mary King
    Cc: Melisa Kossack; Bradley King; rusty.newton@shelbycountykentucky.com
    Subject: Re: URGENT!!!! Shelbyville, KY horse needs help in Shelbyville

To all,

Thank you so much for sending this information to us. We had been advised of this situation just last night. We are on our way out there to investigate.

Please be aware that there has been issues with the owner of this property and further conatact with this horse or on this land may result in unwanted conflict. Use caution if you wish to continue to visit this animal.

We thank you for taking such a deep interest in this horse and please be aware that we will do all we can to help her.

Thanks,

James Collins
    Free Agent Rescuer
    Shelby County No Kill Mission
    Shelter Liaison to the Shelby County Animal Shelter

This e-mail address is used to
    support the Shelby County Animal Shelter
    and it's mission to make Shelby County a no kill county.

You may always contact the shelter using the following information:

Shelby County Animal Shelter
    266 Kentucky St.
    Shelbyville, KY 40065
    Phone: 502-633-0009
    Fax: 502-647-9214
    E-mail: animal.adopt@shelbycountykentucky.com
    Websites: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY139.html
    http://www.pets911.com/organizations/scas/
    Save a life. Spay/Neuter you pets or adopt a forever friend today!!

The Shelby County Animal Shelter and
    the Shelby County No Kill Mission are
    working together with local vets and other
    animal groups to make Shelby County a No Kill County.
    To learn how you can help the "NO KILL MISSION",
    click the link below:

www.shelbycountynokillmission.com
    www.shelbycountynokillmission.org

All donations are tax deductible. These funds
    directly and immediately benefit only the animals at
    the Shelby County Animal Shelter.

To: mking@usdf.org
    Cc: James Collins-2 jcshelbycounty@yahoo.com ; Melisa Kossack melisa.kossack@shelbycountykentucky.com ; Bradley King bradley.king@shelbycountykentucky.com
    Sent: Mon, March 29, 2010 9:07:10 AM
    Subject: Fw: URGENT!!!! Shelbyville, KY horse needs help in Shelbyville
    Hello Mary,

I am copying in James, Melisa & Bradley - the three ACO's at the Shelby County Animal Shelter. They can help you with this situation. Please feel free to call any of them at 502-633-0009.

Also, my hat is off to you for what you have done so far to help this poor horse!!!

Thanks, Kelly Catlett

These are some images of a horse in Shelby county that needs help from animal control there. I have a rescue that’s willing to take care of her vetting but this guy is not amenable it would seem, to letting anyone help without being forced. [edit] The renters living on the property called me last night and involved me, so this is what has transpired since... I paid a vet to go out and assess her last night and her initial assessment was that she needs to be in a clinic setting. We can provide that, willingly, but I would like animal control to take her so that we can take her legally and not have her go back to him. This is apparently not the first time this horse has been injured and not gotten vet care. Apparently somehow she fell through the ice on a pond this winter and best I could gather, animal control had to help save her from that. Can you advise PLEASE!!!! What the best route is for getting this poor horse the care she needs. If I have to buy her, I will, but I want proof that I have done that, and that he cannot take her back.
    My cell is 606-280-2728. She has a sponsor for vetting if we can get her out of this situation. This is a LOT of vetting so I am hoping we can save her.
    The Vet who saw her was Dr. Marie Sutter, and her number is 502-418-2408. I have already had her look at her last night, and treat her as best she could out of the back of her truck. All I need is word and she has a spot at my clinic. She also has a place on a farm to recover after her release from vet care.

Thanks,

Mary
    Last edited by admin; Mar. 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: to remove identifying information

What is your purpose in posting this?

This sounds like a squabble between the horse owner and the local animal control authorities.

Quite frankly, I think you need to go in and at the very least remove the name and phone number of the person who owns the horse, as there are probably some folks here who would love to pick up the phone and give the man a piece of their mind. And it very clearly states in one of the emails you copied that the animal control people do NOT want anyone to contact the owner for fear he will put the mare down.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Has he quoted a price for the mare or has any offer been made? Maybe we could all get together and just buy her. It's not fair or right except for the poor mare!~
    PennyG

Maybe the owner putting her down is the bes thing for her.

I actually cut out a lot of the latter emails, email addresses and names as best as I could figure who isn't relevant. I see the moderator took out more, that's fine, just needed the ones that if anyone wants to get more info they can contact them. There are email addresses and phone numbers to ask the shelter what the deal is and also web site links.

None of my post are my words, I just copied part of the email and cut out as many people as I could without too much altering. This does not contain my opinion. There was a photo in the email but I can't post that.

is the owner threatening to put her down? as dispatcher said, that might be the best thing for the poor mare...

I have to agree with the others... what's wrong with the owner putting the horse down? Probably should have been done a while ago... can't save them all...

Euthanasia for this horse sounds better than what she's living with right now but this guy sounds like such a jerk it breaks my heart to think of what his method of putting her down would be. No living creature, human or otherwise should have to live like this.

I think that euthanasia for the owner sounds a whole lot better- and save the poor horses...this way he can't hurt another beautiful animal-what a creep
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

A friend of mine is now the legal owner of the mare who was savaged by the stallion. She asked me to post the following because she could not get her login to work:

[FONT=&quot]Shelbyville Neglected Horses-Some are Safe[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Easter Miracle (her new name, I don't know her real name), the mare and 3 day old foal, and the pregnant mare are all bought, or will be this morning, and are or will be safe. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Mare, Easter Miracle, is in critical condition, but alert, eating and receiving vet care, pain management, and a lot of love and support from the clinic staff. She was purchased with a donation, as were the others, and saved by a very committed group of people, not the least of which was a vet who REALLY stuck her neck out to go treat Miracle, so we could work to prosecute the owner. We have now have a dual purpose here, and that’s to save her life, and aggressively, with support of several organizations, work towards changing the law that would have allowed this man to have these horses back, had we chosen to prosecute him. He would have been arrested, and charged with a class a misdemeanor, tried, and regardless of the outcome of that trial, would have been able to recover his “livestock”. He may have had to pay restitution, if a Judge so ordered it. But he could have gotten her back. She is 19. And she may not be able to survive these injuries, that remains to be seen. She is trying and we are working on giving her that chance. She was palped last night, and does not appear to be in foal. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I find it reprehensible that the county’s hands were so effectively tied by a law designed to PROTECT the animals. It in fact protected this man, and actually he made quite a bit of money from it, and all the while he found it funny that we were willing to pay for the horse he would have left to suffer and die because of his neglect.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I for one am GLAD he didn’t have the chance to euthanize her, she at least deserves a chance to have a little time not in foal, pain free, and munching grass somewhere besides there.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]More to come, I can assure you…[/FONT]

There are pictures of the mare if anyone wants to see them. They are pretty awful-- I have not seen anything quite like it before.

The mare who has the foal is the injured mare?

I'm getting mixed up since the post says the mare & foal AND a pregnant mare were bought. Then went on to say the mare isn't in foal...!

At any rate, glad to hear the injured mare is getting treatment. Hope she can recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    The mare who has the foal is the injured mare?

I'm getting mixed up since the post says the mare & foal AND a pregnant mare were bought. Then went on to say the mare isn't in foal...!

At any rate, glad to hear the injured mare is getting treatment. Hope she can recover.
    I think this is the same case, in which case, there are actually three mares involved so far.

The badly injured mare (with no foal) is at a vet clinic. There is a second mare w/3-day old foal who was bought and gotten out of there yesterday. She is safe now. Here is a link to a webcam on the stall where the mare and foal are now resting and relaxing:
    http://www.mycampage.com/newbeginningsanimalrefugecam

There is also a 3rd mare who is said to be in foal that the person who now has the mare and foal is going to buy and get out of there today.

Here's the thread on ABR where I've been reading about this:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...es?msg=46952.1
    Last edited by Liberty; Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: To add webcam link
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Sorry guys, I should have read and edited that a little for clarity!

Liberty is right, there are three mares involved. My friend told me that the third mare is being picked up this morning, so hopefully she is on her way to a better life as I type this.

Hoping that 1000 fire ants climb up his pants legs--

hissking Guest

these cases are all three from the same farm. There is the original mare, that is severely injured, and another mare with a 3 day old foal (webcam) and the third mare who was due to foal any time. The stallion started on the mare and foal, after the first injured mare was removed from the pasture. And the only way we have been able to save any of them is to pay this piece of work that owns them.
    so thats what we did.
    Updates as we get them. Thats all I know for now.

May God bless you all who got them away from this piece of cr@p! He has no business owning any kind of animal...who would do that, and enjoy it? he sincerely has some issues and needs to be put in a mental institution

What's happening with the stallion? Is he being removed from this guy's ownership? gelded? something??

That poor mare! The photos are just horrifying.

Is there any way of finding out the name of the clinic where she is being treated? Would it be possible to donate some money to help pay for her care?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Is there no "must provide vet care" law in KY?

hissking Guest

in Ky horses are livestock.
    the mare is being treated at
    Park Equine Hospital
    (859) 744-4030
    116 Hud Rd
    Winchester, KY 40391
    I am sure her bills if she survives are going to be stupendous!