The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinking of returning to the H/J ring for some fun..

Nothing terribly serious. I rode H/J some 25 years ago but since then have been a dressage person.

Recently bought a mare who has shown 3'6" and schooled over 4'. Quite frankly, the thought of jumping THAT high makes me a bit weak in the knees.

But I was thinking I'd like to go to some of the local H/J schooling shows to start with. Will I be laughed out of the ring with my black jump saddle? Just as a refresher, do you salute the judge and then do your courtsey circle? Is it frowned on for an adult to do the cross rails and little jumps?

Any other suggestions to make my first schooling shows in many years good?
    First, say to yourself what you would be. Then do what you have to do. ~Epictectus

Do it!!

If you're in the jumper ring you can wear pretty much whatever you want. For the hunter ring it depends on the show. Some schooling shows yes you may get laughed out of the ring for black tack Others will have kids in half chaps and polos in the hunter ring. Just depends on the show. Maybe go watch one and then do the next one in the series if it looks fun?

For hunters, you usually do a "hunter circle" before starting your course. In jumpers they sound the buzzer and you have 45 or 60 seconds to get to the first jump. No saluting in either.

Do whatever level you're comfortable with. Most schooling shows have weenie classes for all ages or just adults (said with love mind you...my mom glares at me when I call them the weenie classes or the old people classes...)

Got any pictures of the new horse?

I agree with another poster. Go to a show just to watch or if the management allows it take your horse just to camp out and watch. I have kind of the same story. I showed hunters as a tween, then did pony club, and strictly dressage in high school and college years. Now as an adult I am back to hunters. I really want to do jumpers after a few years. I haven't found "thee horse" yet. I show my instructor's horses.
    As those teenagers say rock on. Have fun like you said.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

I do the adult weenie classes that are 18" or crossrails. It is even better when they have a division for people over 35.

I haven't brought myself to jumping higher yet and am in no hurry. I would like to move up into the 2 footers soon but need to quit being a weenie and do it. Granted here in MD it won't stop raining so schooling is a challenge.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I see that you're in MD... St. Timothy's School in Baltimore County has a few really fun schooling shows to raise money for the riding program. They are so much fun and very relaxed. You would be fine just as you are, and would not be out of place in the smaller classes! PM me if you would like me to put you in contact with the person who sends out the prize lists.

Have fun and happy showing!
    Who is John Galt?

No saluting. Just walk in the gate, pick up your trot to canter or go right into the canter for your circle, establish pace and go. Finish up with a nice circle and walk out the gate. No saluting or nodding to the judge.

And no, they should not laugh at you with your black saddle in a schooling show. That's what schooling shows are for. Clean, well groomed horse goes in clean, well fitted, conservative tack.

Clean boots (your dress boots are fine for now), clean britches, conservative coat and shirt, ASTM helmet, and black gloves.

And no, you can do the weenie crossrails and 18" verticals. Again, it's a schooling show. If anyone has an attitude about it...they should be at the bigger locals or rateds.

Just have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkIsCheap View Post

Clean boots (your dress boots are fine for now), .
    Your dress boots will always be fine. In formal situations, the dress boots will be MORE correct than the field boots most of your competitors will be wearing...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

There is nothign wrong with showing where you're comfortable. I did 2' and some 2'6" for the last two years. Loved it. Yes, at many local shows you will find yourself competing against little 'uns, but that is ok. Go in, ride your best and enjoy it. They'll think you are cool!

New horse & I are starting out at 2'6" this year. May work up to 3' by the end of the summer, but who knows. He's certainly capable. We'll see if I am
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

At our local shows, there are not any lower level courses for adults, so I compete with my friend's 10 year old daughter and a bunch of other kids. My 10 year old riding buddy and I stick together at shows - we memorize courses together, warm up together ... its fun to have a friend there no matter what the age.

My advice is to ignore the age difference and go have fun! Like Hunter Mom said, the kids and teenagers think it's cool you are out there having fun with them.

And don't worry about the black tack. There are several of us on here who ride nothing but H/J with black saddles. It has never made a difference in my pinnings as far as I can tell...and from 20 feet, who's to say whether it is black or 'dark havana'.