The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding/trainers in Northern or Central NJ

As I periodically keep getting posts on this, an edit... Have a trainer I'm happy with, but can't afford the $900/month board at his place. Would love to find something in Somerset/Hunterdon within one hour of NYC/Bergen County. Indoor would be nice, as would field board during the summer cause my horses like being out.
    Last edited by a_quick_one; Oct. 18, 2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: clarification

Hunterdon county is eventing mecca! It also would fit your hour requirement. However, you are not going to find a barn with the facilities you mention in Sussex county for $650 especially with an indoor. I used to live in that area and there are many beautiful training facilities but they carry the price tag to match and there are plenty of people in that area that can afford it. I also don't know of any upper level riders in that area who don't go to either Aiken or Ocala for the winter. Is there anyplace north of you that would work? Otherwise I think your best bet is to move to the place you just saw and then ship out for lessons.
    Five Star Tack

I figured something in that price range in Hunterdon County itself was unlikely. I'm going to be in law school in the fall, and I just can't pay that much right now (hopefully in three years...). But there's a lot of farms between Bergen and Hunterdon and in that hour radius. Trailering out is just such a pain when I already drive an hour to get to the barn. I'll do it if I have to, as I'd rather spend my limited money on lessons than board, but if there's any way to make it less of a pain...

Go ride with Kadi!! She is a fabulous trainer, really patient but will give you good honest feedback on goals. Specializes in problem horses, but is more than happy to work with a talented, willing horse. Also, just a great person to work/train/hang out with! I know she does trailer-ins, not sure if she charges or what board on her current barn is.
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

I don't know anything about NJ, so forgive me if I'm way off base, but I recently posted that Jill Henneberg just re-located to Stargate Farm, right across the street from the NJ Horsepark. I know that it meets several of your needs, so you might want to check it out...FWIW...
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

Marilyn (Payne), at least, only takes horses in training board. She may be able to point you in the direction of less costly board in her area and you can hack over for lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    Marilyn (Payne), at least, only takes horses in training board. She may be able to point you in the direction of less costly board in her area and you can hack over for lessons.
    My friend is doing her clinic Friday and we are planning to ask her about precisely that.

I second Kadi as an instructor. She teaches great lessons and can really help tune you up for show season, or work through whatever glitches you may have.

She immediately saw where my strength/weaknesses were and was able to develop lesson plans filled with exercises to improve those weak spots.
    Do What You Can With What You Have Where You Are!

gracefieldfarm Guest

Default farm and trainer

we may have what you are looking for asfar as a top level trainer and a boarding facility that fits in your price range. give us a call to go over details.908-619-7878

chrissymcbride Guest

Default Sinead Halpin

Sinead Halpin is just outside of Gladstone and is having a free clinic and open house June 12th. Her website is www.sineadhalpin.com. May be a good way to check her out!

I was also going to recommend Kadi. Before she was settled in NJ, she stayed at a barn where I was boarded for a few months to compete in the PA/VA/MD area for the summer. She was very good to her horses and, although quiet (maybe in parts since it wasn't her place) she was very pleasant.

I also really like Sinead Halpin. I think that she is a lovely rider although I don't "know" her as a trainer. But, she worked for the O'Connors and William Fox-Pitt as I understand it and I love her way with horses.

Both might know of places to board if you can't afford to board with them.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant