The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Default I've gotta stop reading the COTH forums....

I had a dream the other night that I was riding a Haflinger pony! I have absolutely nothing against ponies, but of all of the pony breeds a Haflinger would be at the bottom of my list.... But I seemed to be having a good time.

The seed probably came from looking at all those rescue sites posted on here--I never saw so many displaced Haffies in all my life!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Perhaps your dream is your subconsciousness telling you to rescue a Haffie?
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Haflingers, just as so many other fads, became one more statistic of the success of their marketers.

I was surprised when they became the horse to have by so many, articles in every horse magazine about how perfect they are, even in the general press, similar to owning ostriches and later llamas and other exotics.

As long as people fall for the hype and keep buying high priced breeding stock of any species and breeding and selling to other breeders, the maket keeps soaring.

Once people realize there is no real market at those high levels, but an artificial one created by the hype, the demand fizzles and there are many of them out there gone begging.

Haflingers are just like any other horse, appeal to some people for their needs, but those are of a very small part of the horse industry, that doesn't support that many breeders.

Happens with the breed of the day in dogs too, but of course the numbers that we can produce in dogs are many times more than with horses, so it takes longer for such market distortions to run their course with larger animals.

There are many, many horses out there without homes, Haflingers sadly now one more bred added to those.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    I had a dream the other night that I was riding a Haflinger pony! I have absolutely nothing against ponies, but of all of the pony breeds a Haflinger would be at the bottom of my list.... But I seemed to be having a good time.

The seed probably came from looking at all those rescue sites posted on here--I never saw so many displaced Haffies in all my life!
    It's a sign!!!

You NEED a haffie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

You could always just check into it, you never know.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

Well I know of a pregnant, foundered haflinger that is shipping to slaughter if a new home is not found by this afternoon. She already has her kill tag on her butt. By the way, she is pregnant to a donkey. Yee haw. WTH were they thinking?

we "rescued" a haffie just recently. Owner couldn't afford him any more and we got him for cheap. Perfectly started will be 3 in April, already done breed shows, driving, great ground manners. I love him! I ride him bareback at the walk for now and he is a gent. He is darling and sweet and I couldn't be happier with him..... so glad we got him and did not pass.....never wanted a haffie before but this just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Well I know of a pregnant, foundered haflinger that is shipping to slaughter if a new home is not found by this afternoon. She already has her kill tag on her butt. By the way, she is pregnant to a donkey. Yee haw. WTH were they thinking?
    Produce a mule akin to a mountain goat.

There, Cherry, there is the answer to your dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We have one that was rescued by the SPCA from a hoarder. She's beautiful, sweet, smart, talented and just a love. Don't knock 'em til you try 'em!!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I just think they're adorable! And I really haven't heard a bad thing about them. There is a farm across from us that has some and they are so freaking CUTE I just want to stuff one in my pocket and bring her/him home!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

aaaccckkkk.........i lost my 13H dream horse/hafie a year ago in dec....to colic......haven't seen anything else in my price range (cheap)...WHERE are you guys seeing these displaced hafies for rescue??????......i would love the pregers hafie, but haven't a clue about foaling, etc.....hafie mule?.....wow, can't think of anything cuter!

There are several haffie breeders down here in NC - PM me if you want to come down, I'll be happy to help you horse shop

I don't know...a large pony that can carry an adult? Sounds like there is a good reason for the breed becoming more popular. Not all Haffies have great temperaments, though. Ya gotta evaluate them as individuals, not by breed.

I'm sorry about the pregnant mare going to slaughter. I've sworn not to take on any more needy horses. I have to keep repeating this to myself, even if it requires closing my eyes and digging my nails into my fists.

Hell, I've got one cast-off leased out, and two more in my field, one almost ready to be started under saddle. Oi. Can't save them all, but it hurts not to.
    "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

drat......called about the mare in foal, but was too late...

and yeah, we have hafie breeders here, too, but they want huge bucks.....and the latest fad is to grab one from a sale , super cheap, then flip it at big prices, because of the recent popularity.....

i know some have sorta stubborn, fiesty personalities....and many have a sweet, teddy-bear demeanor.....mine was the latter, short at 13H, but good and stocky......calm, loving, just a charmer.....
    i just trail ride for fun, and it's easy trail riding, at that....don't want a tall, slim hafie, don't want one that jumps, does tricks or dressage, or drives.........just a chunky little plain-jane (or john) to mosey about with....

Anybody heard of an attempt to breed spotted haffies? I can't remember who mentioned this to me recently.

I ask because I have a black & white pinto from a Haflinger mare I fostered for a local rescue. When we realized the mare was pregnant, I agreed to keep the foal no matter what it looked like, because rescues don't really need to be responsible for raising foals. I used to breed and train my own, so I was qualified to keep her.

Anyway, I was surprised to see a B&W filly in the stall (I was asleep outside the stall but still managed to miss the actual birth. Ugh!). Because the filly was so stocky, my neighbor joked that she was part Gypsy Vanner. No feathers.

I always figured her sire was a Quarter Horse Paint. Now she's about 13hh (same as dam) and looks like a 13hh spotted draft. She's stocky. So it had me wondering if the mare could have been part of a "Spotted Haffie" breeding program. I believe she was originally sold to a dealer because they thought the breeding didn't catch.

Thoughts? Rumors? Conjecture?

ours came to use from a trainer of my sisters... he is wonderful and 14.1 so great size and not yet 3, I am a fan already after only having him for two months, time will tell

As my Haflinger owning neighbor would say "Halflingers are horses", not ponies. And cute as a button, and, oh, can grow twice as wide as a semi! But like any other breed, each has it's own personality. Mom Haffie ran away under harness, Baby Haffie is a doll, under harness and saddle. Now my hubby wants one, too...

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Default North American Spotted Haflingers Association?

Well, matry--you asked for it! Here it is: http://www.nash2006.com/ . 2006??? Where have we been??? How can they call them Haflingers when they're only half Haflingers???

I do know that the past ten years or so the Amish have started breeding Haffies and they now have a yearly auction at Harrisburg in January, I believe.

It seems to me the "old style" Haffies serve a purpose but they are now breeding them lighter--don't know if that is the Amish influence or what....

You know, it used to be I could look at a horse and tell you what breed it was but with breeding ASB's to Morgans, and Quarter Horses to TBs, etc. it's getting hard to know exactly what you're looking at without a program!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Quote Originally Posted by StefffiC View Post
    There are several haffie breeders down here in NC - PM me if you want to come down, I'll be happy to help you horse shop
    No. No no no no no nononononono!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Cherry, I think you've hit it. Annie looks a lot like those foals. She was so stocky as a foal that her withers were recessed between her shoulder blades, and last year the vet said she'd never seen such a well developed 2 yo.

Her dam was a lighter-boned Haffie than I'm used to. I figured she wasn't pure Haffie, but another vet said some people are breeding them finer like that. I wonder why? They're supposed to drafty, aren't they?

I'm probably right about the sire, then, based on the info in the web site. So she might be a spotted Haflinger, or NASH. The mare came from PA, too. Hmmm.

Thanks for the link!!

p.s. Annie looks very much like "Blackberry Pearle" on the fillies page. The resemblance is almost eerie.
    Last edited by matryoshka; Mar. 30, 2010 at 09:54 PM.