The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird Symptoms...?? *UPDATE on post 15*

I could use some help/opinions on whether or not anything might be going on with my pony.

About 2 weeks ago, he got a little bit of a cough. Nothing too alarming at first; I figured he just had some dust in his throat. The next day, I rode him. By the end of the ride, he was coughing pretty hard and had A LOT of green snot running out of his nose. He also had a fever of 101.5. The next day, we called the vet who came and did a check up and pulled blood. The fever was down and there was no more snot, just the cough. The results of the bloood didnt show anything abnormal: no elevated white count, etc. The vet said it may just be allergies and suggested we just leave it alone.. He said we would take action if it got any worse. Well, about 2 weeks later (now) he still has a little cough when he does any work (I have only been doing very light walk/trot, and only if he appears and acts 100%, since he got sick) and today, below his right jaw (in the throatlatch area), he was really puffy and swollen looking. Only on the right side. He was sort of acting like it was painful to chew as well. Also, his urine was a dark yellow/golden color, darker than normal and maybe a little thick. He is eating and drinking though, and other than that, he appears 100% healthy. He doesnt even act the slightest bit sick, other than the puffy jaw, dark urine, and cough. Should I have reason to be alarmed? What could be going on? Im worried it could be more than just allergies or a small cold and want to catch anything before we run into major problems if there is that possibility. WWYD?

ETA: Pony is 15 years old, 14.2 hands, 800 lbs. Overall in good health, perhaps a little on the chunky side.
    Last edited by spmoonie; Mar. 30, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Call the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryson View Post
    Call the vet.
    Thanks, I just did. I left a message, hopefully will get a call back ASAP.

Any ideas as to what it could be?
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Strangles would be a guess.

strangles

Sorry didn't mean to be snarky. But, it is hard to guess. It does sound a bit like strangles, especially with the time frame mentioned. At 15, he could be tolerating it better than a younger animal would. I believe that it is thought that some older (mind you not aged) animals have a type of systematic immunity to strangles, so the fever, loss of appetite, and lethargic behavior does not really set in, even though the infection does.

But again, it could be something completly different. I wish you luck with the vet.

Okay, just got off the phone with the vet. Overall, he was not very alarmed. He said that the dark/thick urine is not uncommon and not very "exciting". So, not to worry about that. As for the swelling on the jaw, he said to keep an eye on it for the next day or so to see if anything changes. He mentioned strangels, however said it was somewhat unlikey considering he is otherwise healthy and has no snot/loss of appetite/etc and really hasnt been anywhere/been around new horses for the past 2 or 3 months.

Do you mind me asking where you are located? I am in NC and there has been a lot of what you are describing with no corresponding blood work - as in the horse appears sick but the bloods say no. So being treated as allergies.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not go public.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Your symptoms sound very much like my horse who just got over strangles. He started with a cough/weeze, had a runny, putrid nasal discharge, a slight fever, for about 6 hours then seemed to get better. We knew it was strangles though because it was running through our barn, so he remained isolated from the rest of the barn. A week later he formed abcesses under the jaw, but no nasal discharge, and no fever. He never went off his feed. He stayed mildly sick for three more weeks. Out of 10 horses that got sick at our barn, non of them had the same symptoms or followed the same pattern.

I'm a little suprised your vet has the view he has. People can spread strangles as well as horse to horse contact.

Until you know what this is, it is important that you isolate your horse so s/he doesn't infect others (probably too late now). Everyone who comes into contact w/your horse needs to follow some "decontamination" proceedures that your vet should be able to help you with. Visiting people who come near your horse (farriers, friends, trainers) should be aware and wash up and change clothes before seeing other horses. If you in a boarding barn your barn owner needs to know, asap.

I would not work a horse who may or may not be sick (no diagnoses), especially when the respiratory tract is involved.

Hopefully it's not strangles, but it never hurts to be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Do you mind me asking where you are located? I am in NC and there has been a lot of what you are describing with no corresponding blood work - as in the horse appears sick but the bloods say no. So being treated as allergies.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not go public.
    Im in GA. Around the Atlanta area

Quote Originally Posted by happyfeet View Post
    Your symptoms sound very much like my horse who just got over strangles. He started with a cough/weeze, had a runny, putrid nasal discharge, a slight fever, for about 6 hours then seemed to get better. We knew it was strangles though because it was running through our barn, so he remained isolated from the rest of the barn. A week later he formed abcesses under the jaw, but no nasal discharge, and no fever. He never went off his feed. He stayed mildly sick for three more weeks. Out of 10 horses that got sick at our barn, non of them had the same symptoms or followed the same pattern.

I'm a little suprised your vet has the view he has. People can spread strangles as well as horse to horse contact.

Until you know what this is, it is important that you isolate your horse so s/he doesn't infect others (probably too late now). Everyone who comes into contact w/your horse needs to follow some "decontamination" proceedures that your vet should be able to help you with. Visiting people who come near your horse (farriers, friends, trainers) should be aware and wash up and change clothes before seeing other horses. If you in a boarding barn your barn owner needs to know, asap.

I would not work a horse who may or may not be sick (no diagnoses), especially when the respiratory tract is involved.

Hopefully it's not strangles, but it never hurts to be cautious.
    Thanks, unfortunantly he has been exposed to just about every horse on the property. I will be sure to tell everyone he comes in contact with though

Sounds like strangle to me as well. One of my Clydes had the same symptoms and spent two weeks in the hospital in isolation, had a lot of bad stuff in his gutteral pouch which had to be removed. And her did not even appear to be very sick at all. He was on stall rest at the time recovering from a broken coffin bone, so I have absolutely no idea where this came from. Not to scare you, but the bill was massive. Thankfully he is insured. Even if you feel the other horses have already been exposed, you should take the precautions others have mentioned. In the case of my horse, he had the strangles vaccine from early on. The test they run for this also seemed to take quite a long time to get back, so you should have the vet pull blood and send to the lab.

I vote for strangles too.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

My guess would be strangles too. Icky illness.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Okay, Update for Tuesday March 30, 2010:

Today, I didnt hear any coughing, but it usually only happens when he exerts any energy during work, which he did not today. His neck was LESS swolen. Still somewhat puffy, but not like a strangles case. This is different. Im still not ruling out strangles, but it just seems strange that the swelling on his neck would go down that fast if it was strangles. The swelling covers a large area aound his jaw, throat, and cheek--still only on the right side. He was also eating fine today, no funny faces. Otherwise, he looked great. From this new update, is strangles still the best answer?

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

might just be allergies... a lot of mine have what I call the "spring mumps" right now.
    Every spring they get all swollen around where the cheek and the head and the ears meet. I used to call the vet every time, but now, if they arent sick, I know its just allergies.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Seriously, I don't think it is strangles. It sounds exactly like what has been going on around this area for the latter part of winter. I think its viral although no ones' blood work shows that. It presents like allergies/COPD.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Seriously, I don't think it is strangles. It sounds exactly like what has been going on around this area for the latter part of winter. I think its viral although no ones' blood work shows that. It presents like allergies/COPD.
    Yeah, now Im starting to lean towards that. It looks like allergies, but its NOT! This pony just doesnt have allergies, and now it appears to be clearing up. I just have no idea..

Your horse 'could' have IAD or inflammatory airway disease. Don't be put off by the 'disease' part - I know I was at first.

My horse started off with a cough or two. Then coughed every day. It actually took me awhile to notice that - we all hear the ocasional cough, right? No other symptoms - no temp, ate well, bright eyed, etc. The cough or two increased to lots of coughing at the beginning of a ride. Then one morning, my horse had a swollen eye (which went back to normal before the vet could get here); another day, my horse had swollen glands under his jaw; then he had a snotty nose, but only on the right side.

I had him scoped, and a lavage done. Also rads of his lungs - that's how the IAD was confirmed. He was put on a course of antibiotics to clear up the infection, and also steriods. Cleaning up his environment has helped keep his bouts (because this is reoccuring) to a few times a year. 24/7 outdoor living would be perfect for my horse, only he also has other allergies - so has to be stalled for part of the day/night.

I tried all the otc things for 'coughs' - none worked for him, but some on here swear by what's worked for them/their horse.

Anyway...you could run IAD by your vet -

And I would want to rule out what TBMaggie said!
    ---