The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default shipping from private farm 2 private farm across state lines

shipping from private farm 2 private farm across state lines (into KY)

Would you get a health certificate for this? Or would you just figure a current coggins is good enough if you got pulled over?

Quote Originally Posted by KC and the Sunshine Band View Post
    shipping from private farm 2 private farm across state lines (into KY)

Would you get a health certificate for this? Or would you just figure a current coggins is good enough if you got pulled over?
    Technically yes, but the chances of actually needing it are very small. I find that in the area I'm in (MD, PA, DE area)- most people don't use them because its very impractical (seriously, crossing my back yard is crossing the state line)
    Last edited by tabula rashah; Mar. 29, 2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: grammar
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

You can be stoped at weigh stations and asked for it, and I believe stopped at other times as well. MOST of the time noone checks, unless you're dealing with FL, The DEFINATLY get one.

A health cert is short money so you might as well get one just in case. I've never paid more than $25. I've always gotten health certs when leaving a state- nearly every state except when crossing between NH, RI, and MA. Even going MA to CT or MA to NY. Copy of coggins included except in CA and AZ.

That said, not once have I've been asked for paperwork in the northeast, southeast, through the midwest including Texas. I've always had to produce paperwork (health certs only) in the states of New Mexico, Arizona, and California at the AG stations.

Chances are you will never be asked to produce a health cert on the east coast. Some states do not require it and only care about coggins. On the east coast, the main reason *why* I had health certs was for showing/ exposition purposes or I was hauling horses that did I did not own.
    Last edited by SuperSTB; Mar. 29, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

You have to have health papers and coggins in KY. I would not drive a horse into the state without them. I've been pulled over on I-64 before by a cop whose job it was to specifically pull over horse trailers and check. They are really serious about it.

yes definitely get one- Kentucky is notorious for being very strict about health certificates. I wouldn't chance it- its usually less than $25.

This thread reminded me I need one for next week going into KY. I wouldn't go into KY without one, even just going from farm to another private farm.

Default Ditto

Ditto what everyone said about going into KY, particularly if the towing vehicle does not have a KY license plate but I'd do it to be safe anyway.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe