The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tad Coffin Saddles - adjustability (sp)

So I am having a saddle fitter come out.

In the mean time she said to look at some saddles to know what I like and she will bring a bunch of demos. afterwards she will make a reccomendation and then I can buy a demo from her or find what i am looking for (within the parameters she gives from the outcome of the fitting) and have her come back out to fit it to my horse.

So i'm looking. I have been window shopping for a while. Came across a county that i like, but also a Tad Coffin - which i thought would be out of my price range used. This one is in my rangeis in decent shape.

Are tad coffin's able to be adjust to fit a growing ever-morphing youngster. i know the tree is made wise so that padding can make it fit that way - but, what about the panels?

I will email the saddle fitter when I get home tonight, she is not coming out until next Monday.

TIA
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

Quote Originally Posted by Keep1Belle View Post
    i know the tree is made wise so that padding can make it fit that way - but, what about the panels?
    I don't remember if TC saddles are wool flocked or have foam panels. Wool is easy and inexpensive to adjust and refit. Foam panels can be replaced but not as easily as wool and its quite expensive. Although I love foam panels, in the case of a young, growing horse I think wool would make more sense.

I trhink it is foam or foam-like from reading this http://www.tadcoffinsaddles.com/infoletter.html

maybe I will hold off on a TC until his growing stabilizes. Such a good deal though.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

There is only so much "make it fit" anybody can do, even the best saddle fitters, with a growing youngster whose back is going to change both size and shape wise in the next few years.

I would be inclined to go a little more mid range in the price and plan on just replacing it down the line when the horse matures. That's just me though, your fitter will have more experience.

Personally, have not been enchanted with the TC and those leather panels you place underneath to adjust the fit. Seems to me those work alot better when a horse gets smaller and narrower, not bigger and rounder-like most growing WBs do.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Would you be able to try it before buying it?

I've found, with my TC, that it fits virtually everything except for the super-duper wide. If your youngster is narrow right now, you can easily pad it up until he fills out. I rode a 4-year-old medium pony in mine yesterday and with a half pad, it fight just fine.

I have a TC that I bought because it fit my mare all by its little lonesome. Quite frankly, that leather pad is a gimmick in my opinion. The saddle fits or it doesn't. I wouldn't go out and buy any saddle that needed some sort of additional attachment or bells and whistles to make it fit properly.

JMHO....

I tried a TC, but it was too wide, with even that thickest leather pad to fit my horse. Now, I'm not one who minds padding to fit. If the ONLY issue is width and the saddle doesn't bridge or have other issues, I see no problem putting something like the Beval with relief pad under the saddle to narrow it up. I prefer to have a saddle a little big so that I have more options as the horse changes shape during the year. I figure, I wear different socks to make different shoes fit, so why the big fuss over a pad under a saddle? If there are no pressure points, a thicker pad is like wearing thicker socks. My horse's back doesn't stay exactly the same all year, so something that fits perfectly in winter, might just be too small in summer.

I do agree with F8, though: you can't make a too narrow saddle fit, no matter what, so if the TC currently fits horse, it won't fit later as the horse grows/matures/widens. If is a bit wide and sits even from front to back, padding to give growing room wouldn't be the worst thing out there.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"