The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What time do you feed your horses?

AM and PM (and anything in between).

Loaded question!

I work shift work, so unfortunately it changes every eight weeks for the most part. But generally, I try to do breakfast between 4:30 AM-7:00 AM. Dinner falls between 4:00 PM-7:00 PM. Hay is 24/7 with the help of Nibblenets and outdoor hay feeders, so they never go hungry.

Sometimes, I work through dinner. So generally, they get half at 1:00 PM and the other half at 1:00 AM. Then, breakfast just falls on the later side of 7:00 AM, closer to 8. My guys get less than 1 lb. of grain per meal, and it's mostly beet pulp and soaked alfalfa cubes so this adds to my flexibility. No large amounts of concentrates here.

My guys deal.
    Gone gaited....

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Any time between 0100-0300 on 'early' work nights they get fed when I get home from work, before I go to bed.

0900 on my late overnights... same, hay before I go to bed.

Then more hay when I get up. Which ranges anywhere from 1000 to 1600. I go in, have my cuppa, wake up, etc.,

More hay when I'm done that... and their grain/beep/oil/flax/alfalfa pellets usually just before I leave for work. I work some 8 hr shifts, some 12s, some evenings, some overnights. OH--and on nights off, I might pile them up with hay by 1900 and tuck them in for the night...

It is extremely flexible and variable. Granted, they are getting very little in the way of concentrates... but they also do not exhibit any sort of stress behaviour when I dump grain, or if one gets grain and no one else does at that moment... and they almost always have hay in front of them. (and 24/7 turnout)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Summer - 7 am, 1 pm, 8-8:30 pm

Winter - 7 am, noon, 4 pm, 8-8:30 pm
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

summer 8-11ish and 8-10ish
    winter 8-11-ish and 4-7ish

can you tell my horses have adapted well to eating whenever I can feed them?

Breakfast between 3:00 and 4:30 am - depends on what day it is (I work seven days a week - two jobs and start times are different).

Dinner is anywhere between 4:00 and 8:00 pm - again... depends on what day it is and what job i'm at.

My two TB's are out 24/7 w/ free choice hay/pasture so I don't worry about bringing them in early or late - or really anything. They know to expect me at crazy hours and are fine w/ it .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

4am, 5pm, 9pm.

I deliberately mix it up so that when work/life crap, a vet/farrier/chiro visit, or a show schedule interferes, the horses are not stressed that their routine was disturbed.

Generally, breakfast occurs in the 6-8am range and dinner in the 5-7pm range, but either can be skewed earlier or later. When I am in my home office, there is also a lunch sometime around mid-day; when I have to be out at that time, I just put out extra hay during the breakfast feed. Last haying is done before bed: 9-10pm for me, sometimes Mr. CH will take care of that more toward the 11pm hour.

The horses have access to grazing and/or hay, and can freely go in and out of their stalls and/or a run-in. Fresh water always available, of course.

I will note that they do expect breakfast as soon as they realize a human is up. If I want my cuppa before I feed, I have to make it in the dark; a light going on in the house means it's time to start hollering and banging whatever is available to urge the waitress to bring food faster.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    I deliberately mix it up so that when work/life crap, a vet/farrier/chiro visit, or a show schedule interferes, the horses are not stressed that their routine was disturbed.

The horses have access to grazing and/or hay, and can freely go in and out of their stalls and/or a run-in. Fresh water always available, of course.
    Same. My schedule is too unpredictable to have set feeding times (I tried that when I first brought them home... made me crazy haha)
    Since I live at the farm where I work, I have to do those guys first (and deal with any problems...) so I try to get my guys fed around 7-8:30 for breakfast.
    Night feeding depends on my school schedules, I take classes at night. I guess its usually around 6pm, at least recently.

They have hay 24/7, so I'm not worried about them starving even if I'm hours late.

Between 6am and 9am, and between 6pm and 9pm.

They have to cope with a little bit of variability, just like me. I think they are less anxious when they don't watch the clock.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    summer 8-11ish and 8-10ish
    winter 8-11-ish and 4-7ish

can you tell my horses have adapted well to eating whenever I can feed them?
    Which is not healthy for them at all.

Winter Spring Summer Fall the routine is:

6:30A, 11A, 3:30PM, 7:30P - faithfully.

7 am, 5 pm, and nightcheck/haying at 9 pm -

Not to much variation in this because if I feed at 5:00 I can get DD to a 6:00 lesson and be back in time for night check plus as an added benefit, it drives my inlaws nuts that I feed the horses and dogs before I feed their son!

Mine get fed at either 7 or 8 in the morning, depending on who is feeding. Lunch between noon and 1, and dinner at 5 pm pretty regularly.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Horse #1: 7-8 am, 3:30-4:30pm, 8-10 pm

Horse #2: 7 am, 11:30am, 3:30pm, 9pm

6:30 ish AM they get grain and/or pellets
    Then are then turned out on pasture with either grass or hay all day
    6:30 ish PM they are brought back into the barn where they get grain and/or pellets plus soaked alfalfa cubes for the seniors.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Mine are fed usually right about 8:30 AM and 5:30 pm. However, if I ahve a show they may get fed as early as 5:30 am on occasion. I find feeding early not to be a bad thing on a horse but feeding late is. This is due to the stomach acid that begins to form at the normal feeding time. I am fairly punctual, within a 1/2 hour or so.

Mine get fed once a day and only a very small amount of soaked BP to get supps in them. 8:30am-9am is generally what I shoot for. My horses are out on pasture 24/7 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    Which is not healthy for them at all.
    Says who? If horses are used to variation they do not stress about it. It is kinder to the horses to have that variation, so if you are unavoidably detained, the horses can cope. Of course if you absolutely never miss a mealtime, you have achieved a level of perfection we mere mortals can only envy...

Our horses get breakfast at 6 a.m. on weekdays and dinner between 6 and 8 p.m. Hay is available all the time, or, to be more accurate, we give an amount of hay that will last until the next meal, for all but the easiest keepers. "Grain" (which is very little actual grain, mostly grass pellets and beet pulp) is served in the evening only.

Friday night through Sunday night gets a bit dicey with second jobs and other weekend commitments. But they all get fed, and they are all relaxed about it.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

We mix up times but usually between 5 and 7am. We do a hay check around noon incase anyone needs more (finished breakfast hay). Final feeding from about 6-8pm. Our late night checks are about 10-midnight but very rarely do we throw anymore hay out.

We do not grain except for sand colic prevention or supplements as need, in which case grain is about a handful or two.

well, what's going on that day? normal am feeding is between 8:30 and 9. if i have a (choose one: vet, dr, physical therapy, farrier, etc ) appointment at some point in the morning, then it could be later, could be earlier. normal dinner time is around 6. if i'm teaching or have to be somewhere (school event for my son, for example) then dinner time could be earlier, could be later. no one has keeled over yet. when school lets out, breakfast will be earlier, dinner will be later. i doubt they will suffer too greatly. they have hay 24/7 (great big round bales), fresh water and access to thier sheds. they don't seem too worried about thier feeding schedule, as long as they get fed. and none of mine get a whole heck of a lot of grain, anyway.