The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Novice A

E-B half circle left working trot...approaching B working canter left lead. So you can pick up the canter the 2nd part of your half circle hopefully just before B? I will discuss with my trainer this week but was just noticing this.

Think of a circle and a half starting at E-B for the first half, B-B for the whole circle, and your canter starts at B. Not between two letters, at the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by PugetSounder View Post
    Think of a circle and a half starting at E-B for the first half, B-B for the whole circle, and your canter starts at B. Not between two letters, at the letter.
    Transition before the letter is acceptable too, that's why it reads "approaching B".

I wouldn't do it too early though, between centerline & B is what's intended. Then you do indeed canter one whole circle, all the way back to B, then straight down the long side and trot before M.

It says
    8. C working trot
    E-B half circle left working trot
    9. Approaching B Working canter left lead

So I was working on hitting that canter right at B then reread and though maybe I am wrong. The past tests always called for changes at the Novice level something like ...between C and H working canter. Maybe the stepped it up a notch.

It's allowing you a little leeway to get the canter while still on the circle (well, 1/2 circle) using the bend and the approach to the rail to help balance the transition.

At the letter is fine, so is a few steps before (approaching) the letter.

I was wondering this when I was practicing the other day too. I was aiming for the transition between the quarter line and B.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I've ridden it twice in competition and picked up the canter between the centerline and B and not gotten any comments regarding it being too early, so I think that is the general range intended...
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

If it is like non eventing dressage, I have always been told to pick it up right after centerline. You want a nice flowing canter for your circle.
    There SHOULD not be any penalty for anything right up to B, though, however, if you have a little wobble on your first stride, and are not in good canter at B, that would be less than ideal. (Not that a wobble is ever good, but again, the point seems to be to have a developed canter for the circle.
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

My ULT told me to aim for two canter strides before B, so based on horse that was just before the quarter line
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Yup, just rode this test at an HT this weekend -- you want to pick up your canter between centerline and the letter, so that when you hit B, you have a nice, balanced rhythm. Anywhere in that zone is fine.

Just did this test at an event this weekend. I asked for canter about two (canter size) strides away from B. That gave us a very nice start to the actual canter circle!

By the way... I really like this test! It keeps the horses moving forward and attentive.