The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Desperate Saddle Help - High long withers & Flat back

I am getting so fed up of saddles and am beginning to come to the end of my tether with them

My mare (Houston x Gregor) has high long withers, a very short back but a very flat back. As she is only young, she does not have much muscle or definition.

I have an Albion Platinum for her currently but I am not convinced it is the best saddle for her. She is a big moving horse (very big actually) and I know Albions can restrict a little in the shoulder due to how fixed they are. She is very sensitive to ride therefore I want to make sure I have the absolute best saddle for her shape and movement.

Please, before I resort to giving up completely... does anyone have any suggestions?

I would prefer something that can be altered as she alters.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

I'm sure there are plenty of saddles on the market for that combo, but the one I'm familiar with is the Amerigo Cortina. You can see a picture (with a sample topline that it's designed to fit) at http://www.amerigosaddles.ch/index.p...d=16&Itemid=30

If you don't have an Amerigo dealer in your area, you can order a test-ride Cortina through VTO Saddlery.
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=SDL

I wonder if a (thin but memory foam) Bay Jacobsen pad might help? They may be hard to find now. There are/were 2 kinds, therapeutic (what you need, the memory foam kind) and the massaging granules kind. Because it is thin, it does not affect saddle fit all that much, but you can either put it on horses back directly, or over a thin baby pad. The foam conforms to the horse's back, whilst providing shock absorption. The horses I've used one on have all seemed more comfy.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Mar. 28, 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Hey JetSet - I was just in your position and know how frustrating it is! I too have a high withered flat backed horse. I tried so many saddles and became very frustrated too. The saddles that I tried were: Kiefer, Bates Isabel Werth, Anky, Klimke, and I know there were others in there that I just can't remember. Passier was one too now that I'm thinking. I actually tried my trainers saddle (Schleese) and rode in it several times and was lucky enough to find someone who had the exact same model custom made for a high withered, flat backed horse! It's an older model (CHB) but they hardly used it. I am so happy with my new (older) saddle. I know some people love them and some people hate them but mine is working for us. Good Luck!

I know how you feel. I have a long withered "banana shaped" back horse...I have tried every saddle out there. it has come down to getting a cusom sadle made for my boy!! Good luck with your search.
    No Worries!

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Be A Storm View Post
    I know how you feel. I have a long withered "banana shaped" back horse...I have tried every saddle out there. it has come down to getting a cusom sadle made for my boy!! Good luck with your search.
    I don't mean to sound like a walking Amerigo commercial, but a long-withered banana-shaped horse is actually how I came to be familiar with the Cortina. The Cortina is for long wither/flat back, but the Amerigo Pinerolo Alto is for long wither/banana shaped back. A friend of mine has this horse whose back you would not believe--a looooong wither that extends all the way to the lowest point of his back, then there's a fast and steep rise up to the croup. She must have tried every high-end saddle on the market, and the only thing that really genuinely fit him without compromises was the Pinerolo Alto.

Check a Stübben. Through the Stübben custom program you can have a saddle built for your horse. With at least 5 models in varying seat depths you should be able to find one that works for you as well.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

My guy has withers, a scapular that goes on forever, and a wide, flat ayerab back.

Passier--no gussets--works nicely. Tree is very adjustible too for the growing horse.

Prestige worked for a higher-wither but a little bit pear shaped, same width horse.

Duetts in the smaller (normal) tree widths might do--and price is right for 'growing' and maybe not final saddle.

Might be worth trying a HDR if you can get your hands on one to try. The "Buffalo" or "D Ring" models, not the very straight flap/deep seat one...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

For long high withers you need something with a very deep gullet, in addition to it being wide. Spirig saddles are generally made like that, and one might work well for you. Check this one out, for example.

http://spirigsaddlery.com/CapriceDressageSaddle.pdf
    Last edited by Eclectic Horseman; Mar. 29, 2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add link
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Thanks everyone... am madly looking into all the ones suggested.

Keem 'em coming

JP Giacomini, made by Lauriche. It seems to fit a flat back very nicely, and with a lot of room for withers.

op I've sent you a pm.
    Last edited by buck22; Mar. 30, 2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: advertising - sorry!!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.