The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Desperately seeking a Lauriche

It would be embarassing to say just how long I've been looking for a used Lauriche saddle. I feel like I've looked everywhere but I must be missing something. I'm looking for a particular twist/seat shape & short flaps and can usually find one but not both in the same saddle, and then when I do it's sold a month ago and I hadn't found the ad until too late.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on where I should be looking? Or does anyone know of one that might be for sale? I'm willing to look outside of the country as well. I literally cannot ride in anything else (well, besides bareback or Portuguese saddles).
    Last edited by Levitate; Dec. 14, 2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: {edited spacing}

I'm not into selling or buying from ebay, but some can be found there. Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331272921719?lpid=82

Have you considered asking the Lauriche dealer on the east coast to send you a demo saddle for a week? I know quite a few dealers who will do this, particularly if someone is considering an order and there are no reps anywhere close by.

SnicklefritzG - who is the dealer on the east coast? If you mean Larry Large he hasn't been particularly helpful except in telling me he can make a saddle for me if I come to the east coast.
    Fine Used Saddles is wonderful but hasn't had the right saddle yet (actually, they did 2 years ago but I didn't snag it in time).

I have one that I am considering selling. It is brown, however.

What are the specifics that you are looking for?

1 members found this post helpful.

Found several here (one is from a local tack store called galloping grape)
    http://virginiaequestrian.com/main.c...fault&CatID=13

There's also one on middleburgtackexchange (tack store) http://www.middleburgtack.com/index....&name=Dressage

I am not affiliated with any of these.

I would think cutting flap length down to petite would be easy for a saddler.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    I have one that I am considering selling. It is brown, however.

Brown is my favorite color in a saddle!
    Ideally 17-17.5" seat but I'd accept anything between 16 & 18". The flaps should be no longer than 16". Medium tree with shoulder room or medium-wide, but I can deal with even a wide because I ride a variety of horses. Low cantle & pommel with a wide, flat place to sit in. Minimal, if any, thigh blocks. The seat shape is the most important, so if cutting the flap down is not too difficult that might be the way to go. I don't know how to add photos to my posts here, but a photo would be useful. When viewed from above, most seats look like an hourglass but some of the Laurice seats look like triangles with the top cut off (if that makes any sense!). This triangle shape is what I'm looking for. It creates a seat that's fairly flat both from side to side and front to back.
    Last edited by Levitate; Dec. 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

That's exactly what I have 17.5, hourglass seat, rather flat. Medium wide. I'll have to check the flap length. I bought it used from Larry years ago. It is in super shape and I've taken very good care of it, like I do all my tack.

Back in the day when I was a super active dressage/training barn, I had all of my horses (homebreds) custom fit for saddles (not all could take the same maker).

I had 12 in work at one time for many years...suprisingly, 6 of them could wear this very successfully. No shims, no nothing. It was kind of shocking really. That's why I've held on to it, though I'm not riding much anymore (and all but 2 of the horses that used it have crossed the bridge and they are 23 years old. Still super sound. But whenI saw your post I thought that perhaps I should go ahead ans sell it.

I think I have pics somewhere in my computer when I considered selling it on Ebay a couple of years ago, then chickened out as I knew I'd probably never find another and may regret it if I sell it. It's been such a great saddle that fits many horses and gives a great ride and feel to the rider. I'm not sure I really need it anymore. My big days of riding alot are really over, having just turned 63 this month and have 2 crappy knees. Woe is me.

You can email me at littlebullrun@aol.com

I have Lauriche black dressage saddle with short flaps. It was restuffed with wool, barely used and comes with Lauriche leathers and stirrups cuffs It is on ebay and listed with Duchess County Bridle and Saddle; however, the price is very negotiable. If you have any questions, they will be happy to answer them. My mare decided she did not want to do dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
    It would be embarassing to say just how long I've been looking for a used Lauriche saddle. I feel like I've looked everywhere but I must be missing something. I'm looking for a particular twist/seat shape & short flaps and can usually find one but not both in the same saddle, and then when I do it's sold a month ago and I hadn't found the ad until too late.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on where I should be looking? Or does anyone know of one that might be for sale? I'm willing to look outside of the country as well. I literally cannot ride in anything else (well, besides bareback or Portuguese saddles).