The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle fit: Bridging on one side?

I bought my dressage saddle last summer and it has worked very well for my horse and I.

Fast forward to the spring and it is in need of reflocking. What I don't understand is why it bridges very noticeably on one side, but not the other. I checked the flocking and to the eye it doesn't feel like it has been compacted in the middle of the left panel, but it is very obvious when I put it on my horse. The other side is fine. Overall the panels look to the eye like they are well stuffed, not loose of gaping anywhere.

What would make it do this?

Uneven muscling/shape of your horse's back.

I only noticed this in the saddle over the last month. It wasn't like that when I bought the saddle and not at all last season.

I t can be too subtle for the naked eye but muscles in the horse's back can certainly change as well. I just had a similar experience...had a bit of flocking added to one side.

In my guy, an increase of muscling in his shoulders caused bridging - he actually had a reflocking today, thankfully. His shoulders are uneven - the shoulder blade on the right is farther back than the left. I don't know if this is how he's built naturally or due to an injury he had nearly 4 years ago which took about two years to really recover, but it means the saddle will always have symmetry problems as he changes shape no matter how well it's fit to him at the start. Horses with less obvious asymmetries still have similar issues, so it's not really abnormal. You may want to look at the symmetry of his muscling to see if you can learn something about crookedness in your work, but some horses look uneven no matter how straight and evenly they travel. My horse's unevenness only shows up when he is very tense, and otherwise he looks fine.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

@netg: Interesting comment about the shoulder.

When I look at my horse what I see is a lot more muscling in the shoulder and hindquarters. However, I'm still puzzled by the change in saddle fit in a relatively short period of time. One thing that I should mention is that I moved to a new facility where my horse has access to very lush pasture for 10-12 hours of turnout per day. So he is getting a lot more forage and has gained some weight. He needed to anyway after having lost some over the harsh winter (previous place didn't have good grass).

Check with your instructor to ensure that you are sitting squarely. Before adding flocking it may be worth understanding the cause of the change. A little chiro and a flock to original may be the right choice if the change is due to some type of asymmetry either horse or rider.