The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding outside of NYC

I was offered a good job opportunity in NYC (around 5th and E. 30th). I am thinking that most likely I won't be able to take the job because of the cost situation to have my young horse in at the area (considering NJ, Westchester county area, or CT).

Is it possible to find a place to board with good all day turnout (would love 24/7 but know doubtful in the area) and access to an indoor arena with decent footing for $1,000 or under a month? I have a coming 4 year old dressage horse and have access to a trailer to ship out for lessons. I could always not have an indoor for at least this winter as not planning on riding her much anyways as I am just starting her.

Is it also even possible to find a place to rent for $1,200 or less a month?

Depends. Do you plan to have a car? How long are you willing to commute by car? by public transit? Will you be commuting at normal times, or will your work schedule allow you to travel outside of rush hour?

Yes, we have both have cars (well one is the truck). I am unsure yet how long I would want to commute. I will be commuting during normal times, so would most take public transit (train) and then drive as needed to farm and home.

If you are on a budget, forget Westchester county, at least the So./No. Salem area as even an average boarding barn can be well over $1k.

Your best bet for reasonably priced boarding is in NJ. Send me a PM if you'd like suggestions.

Ditto. NJ is your best bet. Boarding barns in Westchester and the closest parts of Fairfield CT will be $2k+ with an indoor.

It's a while ago, but I used to live in Putnam County (Brewster) and commute into Manhattan, and keep my horse local to home.

5th and 30th is an easy walk from from Port authority, I would commute through there. The busses are easy and filled with professionals during commuter hours. 1200 a month for an apartment even in NJ is pushing it.

You can do this boarding in central NJ - Califon/Tewksbury/Lebanon area for horse and maybe a bit further east and close to train for you. PM me if you want details.