The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle just rolls if it's wide enough?

My paint has very little wither and lots of shoulder.

According to tracings, saddle fitters and the Wintec gauge, he takes an extra wide.

I rode him in an extra wide Bates today and the saddle rolled from side to side, so we switched to the wide gullet and it did the same thing, only not quite as much.

So far, I've tried 10 or so saddles on him...The wides all sit up too high and the extra wide seemed to fit, but wouldn't stay centred once I was on.

I'm quickly running out of saddles to try and I live in Canada, so can't take advantage of all the great trial programmes you have in the US.

Is anyone familiar with the Duett? Is it made for this type of back? Low with/big shoulder/flat back?

Funny thing is, a couple of weeks ago, I rode him in a medium Passier Antares that seemed to fit nicely and was rock steady...no roll at all. And he seemed quite free moving in it. I'm going to get this saddle back just to see him go in it again.

In the meantime, I'm riding in my western saddle and wasting time I could be working towards the Spring shows with!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

I've actually found the same thing to be true. My dressage saddle was a wide - no rolling problems. My western saddle was an extra-wide - rolling problems. I've since tried treeless and found he likes it more and moves better in it, but there is more roll than with my treed dressage saddle. One thing I've found, though, is that I can't get away with not riding him straight in the treeless - then the contortions of his not-straight body will cause the rolling; or rather, allow it to happen. So I think that the treed saddle I had sort of made up for some flaws in that its narrowness sort of acted like a brace on his withers and didn't allow for so much side-to-side action.

So I'd say that in addition to of course getting a saddle that fits and makes your horse comfortable so he's free in his movement, you've got to address any crookedness problems that exacerbate the rolling.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Look at saddles with hoop trees - like the Duett.

1 members found this post helpful.

It could simply be that your horse doesn't have enough to hold the saddle in place, and you might have to invest in something like an EcoGold or Success pad. My mare is very wide with no withers, large shoulders, and a slight downhill build. The only way to keep things where they are suppose to be are with my EcoGold pad and my anatomical County Logic girth (or my Nunn Finer non-slip pad when I use my BoT pad). Without some kind of non-slip pad even the best saddles ended up sideways on her.
    Queen of Anywhere "Sydney"
    2009 Sugarbush Draft mare
    ***I am either posting from my iPhone or iPad so I apologize for any strange Auto Corrects!

I just got a girth shield for my husband's 'nothing to hold the saddle in place' icey. The saddle was crooked today, and that thing holds so well he couldn't stomp in the stirrup to straighten the saddle and had to get off to do it.

Most Paint types, not all, need a hoop tree saddle. An A shaped saddle will perch and likely roll as it won't "drape" around the horse's round profile. Wintec saddles are more A shaped even if extra wide. The panels, tree longititudinal shape and gullet channel also come into play in the stability of the saddle. Duett, Black Country, Thorowgood and Kent and Masters Cob models and Lovatt & Rickets are just some of the saddle companies that offer hoop or hoop type trees.
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672

2 members found this post helpful.

The stability of saddles also depend a lot on how the rest of the saddle fit, not just the width. My horse is a typical Morgan - mutton wither, big shoulders, and a sausage barrel to complete the picture. A lot of saddles roll on him, but the Albion I'm using now is very stable on him. It is also a custom fit to him.

Do you have a competent saddle fitter to help you? Sometime it only takes a bit of tweaking in the flocking to stabilize it.

I used a Duett on a horse I rode a few years ago.
    She was seriously shaped like a hippo. She was QH HUS breeding.

The Duett was fine. It didn't fit me though. So I just sucked it up.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Yes, I do have a good fitter that can adjust flocking etc. We just need to find a saddle that is worth adjusting. The more I read, the more it seems the Duett might be what I'm looking for.
    Those of you who talk about non-slip pads...do they go between the pad and the saddle? Or the horse and the pad? I have an Ultra Thinline, but I've never used it directly on the horse.
    NJR

Thinline recently came out with a non-slip pad that goes between the horse and the pad. The Thinline material in their half pads does offer some non-slip properties. EcoGold pads are all in one pads, the bottom part that touches the horse is all non-slip material except for right over the withers, and then the top part where the saddle panels are is also non-slip.
    ***I am either posting from my iPhone or iPad so I apologize for any strange Auto Corrects!

Be careful about using a pad for an ill fitting saddle. If the tree or panels aren't at least shaped correctly, pads can create pressure points and injured a horse's back. Pads are best used for minor adjustments.

These pads are a few mm's thick. They aren't meant for "padding up" spots, just to keep the saddle from slipping. However, the one I have goes between the pad and the saddle, so it is just to keep the pad from slipping, I guess.
    NJR

I bought a george canvanes vienna II for my mare with what sounds to be a similar build. She does have some wither though.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on
    Skip's Passionate Gal "Hannah"- 2003 AQHA Mare
    Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boY

I would suggest EcoGold pads, or the much cheaper Success pads, but in my experience they didn't seem to sit as well under the saddle. Or a Nunn finer non-slip pad, SmartPak makes them as well for about the same price. That is what I use under my BoT pad to keep things secure while getting the BoT benefits.