The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Saddle help

I'm new on here and hoping that you guys might be able to answer some questions. Last month I got a new pony (she's 13.2hh and is an Andalusian cross) and I don't have a saddle that fits her. My western Circle Y equation is way to long for her- it comes past her flank. I mainly do trail riding and I have found out that I am not comfortable for longer periods of time in a close contact or all purpose saddle.

Here are some pictures I have of her:
    http://i60.tinypic.com/atn41d.jpg
    http://i61.tinypic.com/1z3b7ds.jpg
    http://i59.tinypic.com/2s8mn9f.jpg
    http://i62.tinypic.com/1zekvmg.jpg

She is not as downhill as the last picture looks, but having uneven ground is difficult.

My other dilemma is that I am not near any saddle store where I can just try it on her. I've already tried the saddle at the one store near me. I will be making a trip in a few days to go to another saddle store (3hrs away) and see if they have anything wide enough for her. Are there brands you recommend for her shape?

I've looked through numerous posts on here about saddle fitting and brands and all that, but if anyone could comment on what they think might fit her I would appreciate it. I've spent most of my 12 years riding western besides the occasional jumping so it's pretty new to me. And I will be taking lessons once I have a saddle that fits. Thanks!

You probably need something with non-gusseted panels, like a Roosli or a Stubben Scandica to keep from going beyond the pony's bearing surface. You don't say what seat size you are looking for, but that is a factor also. Amerigo Vegas are nice for short coupled horses also. Also a dressage saddle from the Arabian Saddle Company might work, but will be hard to find.
    Did you take your tracing at about 2 fingers behind the scapula? If so, you probably need a wide or generous medium wide. Look for saddles that are a bit cut back at the pommel to accommodate her wither. Good luck.

I did take the tracing at about that. I'm looking for a 17" or 17 1/2". Also, I don't want to spend really over $1000 on a saddle, as it is just temporary. Next year I will be getting a 15" or so for a child to ride her. I bought her to have her be a kids pony.

My old Stubben Aramis would likely fit her. I've got an Arab built like her. The older Stubbens (find them on eBay! Mine was $300.) I've found to fit him really well. They're short enough (upswept panels) to stay off his flanks.

Either Duett or a cob/broadback Thorowgood.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Thanks! I will look into those brands and see what I can find. I hope I can find one soon so that way we can get to work

How do you thin one like this would hold up? I just have to measure and see if I can fit into a 16.5
    Stubben saddle

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoundPen View Post
    Thanks! I will look into those brands and see what I can find. I hope I can find one soon so that way we can get to work

How do you thin one like this would hold up? I just have to measure and see if I can fit into a 16.5
    Stubben saddle
    I did not see where this saddle listed its width. I also thought you wanted a dressage saddle?

I agree that a Duett may be a good option fit wise. For your budget, a Thorowgood may make more sense though. Or what about a Wintec 500 Wide dressage? I find the Wintec 500 to be quite comfortable, and as it has small knee blocks, I can shorten the stirrups which I find useful on trails.

That's basically the same saddle as my Aramis. The Parzivals and Aramis' were very similar. If give it a shot. Mine is every bit as old as that one. Stubbens hold up well. You may have to get it reflocked, but if it was taken care of, it should last another 30 years easily.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I did not see where this saddle listed its width. I also thought you wanted a dressage saddle?.
    That is a dressage model. It's an old school, minimally blocked one, but it's a dressage saddle. One of the pictures shows the serial number and tree size stamped on the flap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoundPen View Post
    Pictures show that the tree is a 32. That's wide by Stubben's standards, but not super wide. I don't find Stubbens terribly wide by modern standards. Think of a Stubben 32 as a MW.

And that saddle looks like it is a VSD-- an all-purpose saddle with a straighter dressage flap. That's not as straight as a regular dressage saddle of theirs of that era will be. If I really wanted to do dressage, I wouldn't buy an all-purpose saddle. And a 16.5" dressage saddle will be small. I'm 5'1" and I find riding in a 17", even in an old, open-seated Stubben to be small.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Good to know about the seat sizes. It doesn't have to be a dressage saddle, but I find that the close contacts are more uncomfortable on longer trail rides than the dressage saddle. I like to have my stirrups on the longer side.

I will check into the other brands said- I'm interested in the thorowgood or wintec for the easy care, but I don't mind a leather one either.

I am going to buy a Wintec 500 dressage, and I'm hoping it will fit. I will let you all know