The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default working students at endurance farms

I've been a long time dressage/eventer but I have recently been interested in the sport of endurance. I don't have any connections to people who are involved with endurance and certainly don't know of any farms, and it seems to be very difficult to find anything online. I have been a working student for several big name farms mainly in dressage, both in the US and Europe, and I'd like to possibly find out how I might be able to research possible working student positions at an endurance farm. Is it purely a word to mouth kinda thing? Endurance seems to be hush-hush sport when it comes to online information. I didn't see anything at aerc or endurance.net

I have found a lot of previous jobs at yardandgroom and other various horse job databases, but there isnt anything for endurance farms... any ideas? If you just happen to know of anything could you PM me?
    thanks, xc

You might want to contact the Rojeks at Smoke Rise Farm in VT.
    They breed and compete in endurance, and might be able to take on a working student.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

There aren't very many "endurance farms." Most people have several nice horses they campaign themselves throughout the ride season. There are a few larger breeder/trainers who specialize in endurance, but no where near the amount of dressage/eventing barns. There isn't a huge market for endurance horses like the other sports. Most endurance riders tend to like to bring their prospects along themselves, not many purchase horses ready made.

If you post where you are, you might get better leads. Good luck!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

One of the best ways to meet people ina sport, is to participate in that sport. Say, you rode the ectra/aerc's, even at the LD level,

Volunteering is also an excellent way to meet those involved...and trust me, everyone enjoys someone willing to pitch in an extra hand.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

If you can share your location, we might be able to help.
    If you are anywhere near (Northern) California, I can PM you some names of people who train here and put miles on other people's endurance horses.
    This, however, does not compare at all to what you are used to from a dressage or eventer barn. Endurance is a very individual sport -- you and your horse over many many miles and hours, so most people train themselves.

Also, if you were to hook up with an endurance trainer, I'm not sure they would take you on without you ever having done any endurance yourself. You may be an excellent rider and horse(wo)man but this is really different! Believe me, I know because I crossed over from dressage myself.

So as the above poster said, try it for yourself first, see if you even like this discipline, have the mind and the stamina for it, and meet lots of people. They will lead you to the trainers in your area.

I am in PA... really a very eventing area... I can hardly find any endurance up here. I am originally from FL, which there was a bit down there. I do own a morab horse, which should be a fine start. She has done a bit of everything and excelled really well in eventing and I think would be a very nice endurance pony. I'd like to take my shot at it, it just seems impossible in my location, but that is why I was looking for a working student type position, so I might be able to relocate to a place where it is more predominant... but I dont have the means to just get up and move if there wasnt like some kind of living/boarind/training position involved. I am kinda the poor student kinda person that just migrates to and fro but havnt really found my "thing" yet. I have a lot of arabian and arabian type horse expierence on top of all the warmbloods I worked with. (I just happen to have reschooled a lot of arabs to dressage)

Again, thanks guy for some of your leads. My old jobs really put me as an exercise rider... taking the horses out for trot sets and galloping, especially on young horses, and I think that might give me a little something to start with and try to market myself with... but I dont have a clue really. I will see about trying to volunteer at a race... does anyone know if there is anything around the Philadelphia area?

Here's the link to the ride calendar for this season in the AERC's NorthEast region. PA is part of that. It doesn't look like much is going on in your neck of the woods, unfortunately...
    http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/Calend...e=_r&region=ne

And here's a link to the AERC mentor list, some from PA, maybe that'll get you started:
    http://www.aerc.org/Education_Mentor.aspx

Don't move anywhere before you are absolutely sure you love this sport! And once you do, come and join us in Northern California