The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Teaching donkeys to drive" - does any such book or video exist???

I've got one 3 year old small standard (41") and just bought his little 8 month old brother. They look almost identical and would be a cute pair -eventually.

I need a good video or book regarding training donkeys and driving. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Mar. 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Rebelshope Guest

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

if I was going to train a donkey, I don't think I would get a book that sucked...wink!
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

OMG... And I can't change the title.

You can change the title if you click on "Edit" and then "advanced."

But you'll probably get more views if you leave the title as is. Made me look.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

I changed it. whew...

If anyone knows of a book I have to think they'd post. LOL

Thanks!!

I have "Donkey Driving" by Richard Ellis, Joy Claxton, Vivian Ellis.

It's hard to find at a good price but hunting is part of the fun.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post
    I have "Donkey Driving" by Richard Ellis, Joy Claxton, Vivian Ellis.

It's hard to find at a good price but hunting is part of the fun.
    gosh.. why is it so expensive? Is it worth the price?

Check out American Donkey and Mule Society, they have such information. The book THe Definitive Donkey by Paul and Betsy Hutchins has information on training to drive. My copy is very old, they may have newer versions out now.

There is a gal on RFD-TV regularly who trains mules for driving. Not sure but I think it is indeed Meredith Hodges, the author of the one book. She is really good. She understands them and their special training needs.

I am also training a mini-donk to drive. She is my special project, as the REAL trainer is way too busy to deasl with her. I bought her at an auction just because she was so cute, not really planning for her to have a job, but we got her a harness at the next auction and I have been working with her. Had to start out with leading, as she would park and refuse to move. She is coming along, though, and wore the harness and even a bit. I must admit she was very indignant anf was hoping the other barnyard animals (she lives with sheep, goats, chickens, etc in ther barnyard) would NOT see her. I am hoping to start long-lining her in the round pen soon. Hopefully this training project will go better than my last--I decided I would train the newest of my Clydes to be ridden. He thought it was very stupid and did not like the idea of actually SEEING the arena. Then a gate blew open and one of those monsters-only-horses-can-see ran in and he bolted. I am too old...will let someone else get him broke to ride.

Well I did my first ever miniature donkeys last year.

Perhaps there's a gap in the market and I could write a book

Have a look at these :

http://www.donkeydriving.co.uk/index.html

http://www.atnesa.org/donkeys/Donkey...onkeycarts.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Driving.../dp/0851313272

I'd also remind you that a book is a heck of a lot cheaper than getting the donkey professionally trained.

Though I'm not convinced I'd ever want to train a donkey from a book!

I guess my bigger question would be if there is a major difference between training a donkey and training a horse. Since I am already paying to have my two Clyde geldings in full training for show season, there's no way I could afford to pay someone to train the mini donk. I do have help from a trainer and discuss each step before I take it. The trainer will be there when I get to the point of hooking her to anything. I have had some successes already--she will actually lead now and will lifther feet for me to clean. We still do a bit of donkey-wrestling to get her trimmed, but she is small enough that the humans usually win that battle. So, for those who have trained both types of equines--what big differences shouls I expect?

Horses are smarter!

I don't know about that--this little donkey seems way TOO smart sometimes. More opinionated than my big geldings but more agreeable than my two horse mares!

Ahh Thomas, I have to disagree. A donkey is not trained like a horse. A donkey is all about trust. They are very routine oriented and you should never do things twice if you ever want to do it differently. It is a real issue. I have a friend that has several donkeys and a mule or two as well. He also has horses that he rides and drives. The one pair of donkeys would do his chores if they had hands. But whoa be unto the fool who tries to go left around the barn instead of right. Horses are more reactive that mules and donkeys. The idea of pressure and moving away from pressure and then the release is lost on a donkey. You just have to think in donkey to work with them. Most training of donks involves setting a situation where the donk teaches himself and you are not the bad guy. Needless to say I am not smart enough to train donks but a good one is an incredible animal.

Ruthie my friends mule will cut cattle and rein with the best of the quarter horses, pull the feed wagon with every ounce of strength she has, and pack anything anytime. He also taught her to coon jump. He will throw his coat over the top wire of a fence and Ruthie will hop right over it from a standstill. It is invaluable to have such an animal on his ranch. I watched Ruthie hold an angus bull tied to the horn while my friend got off and doctored the bull.