The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Rebelshope Guest

Default A mini donkey and a mini horse

I actually found someone to give me lessons in driving. Which I am very excited about. So I am starting to drive my mini again.

My trainer keeps telling me how he much prefers to drive a team instead of just one. So I am sitting here this morning looking at minis for sale, not that need another horse of any size, I actually have to get rid of a few. Anyway. . . Then a crazy idea came into my head, you guys can tell me exactly how crazy.

I have a mini donkey about the same size as my gelding. Would that just be too weird? A team of a horse and a donkey?

My concern would be that they would not be well-matched in size, temperament, head carriage, or gait.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Rebelshope Guest

They are a good match for size, just looked as i went out. Temperment. . . both are pretty laid back.

I will have to look at gait and head carriage.

I won't say it can't be done, but I have both and I wouldn't try it. Most mini horses are pretty forward. Can't say that about the donkey. I can imagine that the donkey would very quickly realize all he had to do was hold back a half step and the horse would have to all the work and the donkey could just lay back and watch. Donkeys are very smart. If you want a long ear to go with the mini horse, get a mini mule.

Default Sounds like a good excuse to get another Mini!

I'm being an Enabler, and think this is the perfect reason to go out and get another Mini

Agree about the mini-donkey not being quite as suitable for 'teaming'

Have fun shopping!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

I have to agree that the donkey would be less forward than a mini and learn pretty quick about laying back in the tugs.

That said, here is a pair that is really unlikely but they did it,.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/201...57548781XJsyJE

We saw this photo in our travels through Wyoming and South Dakota this summer. I thought it was very cool. I guess you used what you had!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pricestory View Post
    I won't say it can't be done, but I have both and I wouldn't try it. Most mini horses are pretty forward. Can't say that about the donkey. I can imagine that the donkey would very quickly realize all he had to do was hold back a half step and the horse would have to all the work and the donkey could just lay back and watch. Donkeys are very smart. If you want a long ear to go with the mini horse, get a mini mule.
    I agree with this. I have a mini donkey that I drive. I could not imagine putting him into harness with a pony. I just don't think it would work. Their gaits are very different and ponys do tend to be more forward. Actually the best way to get a good ride out of my donkey is for me to saddle up my mare and go ahead of him while my husband drives. This works kinda like a carrot on a stick. He really doesn't want her to get away.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."