The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help picking out a name?

I just bought a new little Welsh pony and am getting the papers finished to be sent in. The owner didn't finish them and told me I was free to put whatever I wanted for the name (assuming that since the papers aren't sent in yet that that's not a big deal). Her name is "In the Buff" and I just... really don't like it. I guess I'm just so anti-funny names when you say them i.e. over the loud speaker- "Danielle, riding in the buff" So since I CAN change it I want to. I wouldn't go to the hassle if she were already registered, but I figured what the heck. She's SUCH a feminine acting little filly, definitely a little sweetheart. She stood out in the field for an hour not flinching a muscle (well, except for to pick my grooming tote up and dump it upside down spilling everything out) while I was brushing her so she just loves to be fussed with. Any takers? Pics and pedigree below

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/nf+in+the+buff

http://tinyurl.com/yhlulpx

http://tinyurl.com/yd9rmb8

http://tinyurl.com/y97vub2

Calling her In the Buff is like calling a black cat Midnight. It lacks imagination, plus, as you said, there are other implications.

Unfortunately, it's the Friday before spring break and my brain is fried.

She is ADORABLE. "Bombshell" maybe?
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Mar. 26, 2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: sp
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Calling her In the Buff is like calling a black cat Midnight. It lacks imagination, plus, as you said, there are other implications.

Unfortunately, it's the Friday before spring break an my brain is fried.

She is ADORABLE. "Bombshell" maybe?
    Lol, yes, it is almost spring break. I'm sorry to hurt your brain. My husband's convinced that an announcer will subconsciously say "butt" instead of "buff". Yes... I married him.

Oh my. Like a Barbie doll. Malibu Barbie? Legally Blonde? It's not like you can name her something dignified with that coloring! So cute!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Oh my. Like a Barbie doll. Malibu Barbie? Legally Blonde? It's not like you can name her something dignified with that coloring! So cute!
    Hey, you calling my pony a bimbo? She can be dignified even if she has blonde hair and blue eyes!

Okay, the synapses are temporarily firing.

Platinum Blue?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    Hey, you calling my pony a bimbo? She can be dignified even if she has blonde hair and blue eyes!
    Errrr.. no.. not exactly that...

You could just hang around her for a few days and see what comes to mind and then what sticks.. then again I now have a four year old 16.1 h horse named DINKY because I did that...

I hate naming horses.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Lol at Dinky. Her "nickname" is Buffy and I despise it (sorry if you're reading previous owner! ) I actually had a sweet little dog named Lily a long time ago and she really reminded me of her for some reason so I started calling her Lily today. It fit. Not that her barn name has to do with her registered name that is... I'm awful about naming all of my animals people names though.

Well, if her nickname is "Buffy," then go whole hog - how about "Vampire Slayer"? LOL Sorry - being silly, but it would turn heads...

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    My husband's convinced that an announcer will subconsciously say "butt" instead of "buff". Yes... I married him.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Spelled like the CNS song)
    Blue Willow (Ode to her blue eyes and another softer Buffy character)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    Well, if her nickname is "Buffy," then go whole hog - how about "Vampire Slayer"? LOL Sorry - being silly, but it would turn heads...
    I thought the EXACT same thing!
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

OK, first, what a cool pedigree! I've only really looked at quarterhorse, arab, and TB names but I'm LOVING all the names on this one!

Second, what a BEAUTIFUL little girl!!

I'm in the naming process too, going to post a thread next. So I'll take a stab!

Brainstorming process:
    Sire has "Promise" in his name - promise means potential, hope also an oath, pledge

Dam's line has a history of female names with an adjective in front of them
    Lily = Lillian OR the flower - with many lily names, such as glory, butterfly, mariposa...

Glory leads to majestic, splendor, nobility (ties in with Princess) ...

Historical "Princess Isabella"s include one in France, who had a daughter Eleanor (which could tie in the Lily) ... on in Parma who had two daughters Maria Christine and Maria Theresa ...

That leads me to searching Eleanor Roosevelt quotes LOL ...

Then there's Huelegan which sounds like Hooligan which leads me to "troublemaker" and "ruffian" ... or the opposite, which is sophisticate or leads to thinks like justice, good ...

But looking at her, she's so sweet and feminine, I lean towards keeping the "Princess" thing only something like "Principessa" ... but that's ITALIAN lol, not Welsh ...

Which leads me to Welsh names, like "Essylt" which means "that is fair" or "Gwenllian" which means "white flaxen" or "Gwyneth" which means "white, fair" or "Lilwen" which is "white Lily" or "Lilybet" which is "God's Promise"

I really like "Gwenllian" (Gwen -Hlee- An) ... and "Gwenllian Princess of Wales" is teh daughter of Eleanor LOL ... also are symbols of independence and patriotism...

See why I have trouble coming up with names? Anyone scared of how I think yet?

I don't know enough about Welsh Cob naming customs, what names in her pedigree are good, etc., but this is how I get started!

LOL..

I was looking at some welsh stuff on wiki (loff the 'country')

came up with Gwynedd (a county over yonder, ddis pronounced as th, the y can be said several ways as I recall).

Princess Eilonwy, a character out of Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain

then I thought of Amaterasu, japanese, easier to pronounce than Welsh
    Goddess of the sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Baby Swiss or Babybel
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Mar. 26, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: addition
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Baby Swiss or Babybel

it's a pony...not a Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

No good at name suggestions, but congrats! She's adorable!

I have a welsh mare who shares some of her pedigree (her sire is a Farnley Kernel/Dandardel Rachel offspring) and I *loff* her.

Default color ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    it's a pony...not a Jersey

Did you notice the color? OK not after cheese how about Miller Lite ?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    AHHHH. No way. Most of the reason I hate "Buffy" is because my little sister was OBSESSED with it and all I heard was "buffy this, buffy that, willow and xander, blah blah blah" lol

Thanks so much everyone for all the wonderful suggestions!! MUCH more creative that I. I love a lot of the Welsh words especially Gwenllian. I should not be allowed to own a Welsh pony because it never crossed my mind to look up Welsh words. Bad mom. I had also thought of Mariposa as well- subtle play on barn name vs. reg. name. Great ideas, I'll look more tonight.