The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ticks!

I found the first tick of 2010 today! Nasty. Anyone else also blessed with Easter ticks?

Not yet, but I anticipate a blessed moment...
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I am in the land of ice and snow where it was 15 degrees this morning and I pulled a tick off the dog a few days ago.

I pulled one off of my own self on March 12.

AHHHHRGHHH! THE HORROR!

I am in Florida and they are terrible right now so are the gnats, ugh going to be a bad summer for bugs

Pulled one off my horse last week. He makes it nice and easy for me to see where they are, as he always abscesses horribly whenever one gets its teeth into him. He must be allergic to the bite or something. UGH.

We've had the little bastards for about two weeks now. I just got nice new tick collars for the dogs, that I will unwrap today. Fortunately it got back down to about 25* last night, so maybe it froze some of the parasites.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'm pulling about 7 - 10 off the dogs every day! That is just around the farm, when we go riding, it is worse.

UGH.

I'm up in Maine and pulled one of my little boy last Monday--yuck! And last weekend at the barn one of the boarders pulled two off her horse; one was on his hindquarter up under his blanket. This horse only goes out in a sand paddock behind the barn.

LOL...Easter Tick.
    Now why hasn't Cadbury come up with a tick trying to be the Cadbury Egg Bunny???

We've had them since the beginning of March. All it has to do is warm up over freezing with sunlight for 48-72 hours to reactivate the nasty miniature demons from Hell. They show up during mid-winter thaws here too.
    And when they first become active from a warm spell...they're active as heck at first. Same with after the first few fall frosts when it warms up again during the day, they feed like crazy then.
    Takes below freezing for 12 hours to make them immobile, 24-48 hours of below freezing to put them back into a winter coma.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We got ticks too. What works best to repel them?

Default For the love of.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    We got ticks too. What works best to repel them?
    Anybody have any ideas to actually repel ticks from dogs? We've already had them start here in NC - pulled a dime-sized one off my golden retriever this weekend *GAG*. That was enough to motivate me to get the Frontline on them, but even that just means they don't get to swell up, but they still stay attached forever.

Is there anything for dogs that actually repels the little buggers? We live on ten acres, with a ton of woods, so I don't have any way to keep them from getting exposed.

Please help, I can't stand another horrid tick season like last year - one of our pups got into a nest of seed ticks, and we ended up having to shave his legs, he had so many on him......

Please God, why did you invent ticks? I don't understand.

Please God, why did you invent ticks? I don't understand.
    I've been wondering the same and the only things I can come up with is either
    A) Ticks are Hell on Earth
    B) Massive cosmic mean joke

The Frontline spray is supposed to be decent at stopping some ticks from getting on animals. However considering the way ticks get onto animals...repellents don't usually work for those. They just climb to the top of grass or low shrubs or dead leaves and hold their front legs out and wait for anything moving to brush against them. They then stick to/grab whatever brushed past and start crawling to find a spot to attach.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The stars at night shine big and bright...

Texas Hill Country: One bigfatnastytick on the shaggy little dog that is on Comfortis as a flea preventative. One bigfatnastytick found on the TB crest under mane yesterday.

ICK!
    "Right is right if nobody is right, and wrong is wrong if everybody is wrong."

-Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Had one on the horse on Friday and on a dog on Thursday.

I use Advantix for the 8 dogs (we live on 60 acres of woods and pasture in Kentucky) and while it doesn't repel them... it does mostly kill them once they are on the dogs, which leave nice little piles of dead ticks around the house, but what are you gonna do? We also have a de-ticking everynight, which nearly all the dogs have learned to love. It is their special "private massage" each evening. We drop the ticks into a mason jar of alcohol and they die immediately.

I use the spot on repellent for the horses. I think there is "Celebration", "Freedom" and "Spot On". Each comes in a tube and you put 1 oz on whithers, hips, crest of neck, etc. They are suppose to work for 14 days but I have found that they seem to work about a month. This helps with the ticks on the horses.
    If you always do what you've always done- you'll always get what you've always gotten.
    Madison Ridge Farm

Haven't seen any yet but ugh. Hate them. I find maybe two or three per year (dogs are on medication).

When I find them, I indulge in some serious murderous glee by holding them in a pair of tweezers and setting them alight.

Thumbs down

Just pulled one off my poor corgi's head this morning. How it got there I have no idea. She went out for half an hour in the DELUGE yesterday to the flooded golf course.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I haven't seen a tick in years. I believe I can thank my chickens for that. Of course now that I've said that I'll go home and find one.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

We are trying 2 new products this year:

Horse:
    http://charitonvet.com/store/product...oducts_id=2330

Dogs:
    http://www.springtimeinc.com/product...chewables/dogs

Has anyone tried either of these products? If so, any luck?

Default Funny....

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    I haven't seen a tick in years. I believe I can thank my chickens for that. Of course now that I've said that I'll go home and find one.
    Guy building our fence also mentioned that chickens would eat the ticks in our yard - "if your dogs are chicken-friendly". That almost made me fall out laughing - my dogs are chicken-friendly all right, as in they would love a chicken dinner!!!!!

Shame we can't try that suggestion though - the quantity of ticks just overwhelms me this time of year. Yuk.

I'm interested in the garlic thing too - I don't mind slightly stinky dogs, so long as they don't have the little buggers crawling all over them!