The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cost of shipping a horse from CA to PA-or there abouts

Anyone done this recently? How expensive was it, and who did you use shipper wise?

A friend of mine is trying to buy a horse in Ca. It is not an expensive horse by any means, so we are trying to get shipping estimates to see if it is even a good idea. It would be stupid to pay more for the shipping than for the horse.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

I am shipping a weanling filly from Iowa to Oregon in June and was Quoted $750 from Wings horse Transport- I asked another shipper about the same trip, and was quoted $1800.00...

I recently shipped a horse from Dickerson, MD to San Francisco, CA....the new owners paid $875.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

If you Google "horse shipping" you'll get a number of sites that allow you to get multiple quotes on a transport. I lost the ones I had a while back, but they were not hard to find.

Good luck!

G.

Had a horse shipped from WA to Conn and it was $1,500. I used Equine Express.

Default Great Price!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I recently shipped a horse from Dickerson, MD to San Francisco, CA....the new owners paid $875.
    That is a great price!! I paid $700 from CT to NOVA!!

.....edit....it was only $550....I checked since I couldn't believe it!
    Last edited by sar2008; Apr. 6, 2010 at 09:02 AM.

I just got my horse from California (to NJ) this week! He was shipped by Yosemite Equine. They were very nice people to deal with. They called with updates on when they would be arriving. Their driver was not the greatest about backing his big rig up our road. He did it, but it was painful to watch. My horse arrived as good as can be expected - dehydrated and hungry but with no cuts or behavior issues. The trip took 4 full days. I paid for a box stall because I didn't think it fair for him to just stand for that long. In the box he could move around and lay down if he wanted to.
    Another company that I would recommend is Bob Hubbard Equine Transport. They just shipped a horse from NM to NJ for us. Their driver was an expert at backing the big rig. Also good to work with.

As far as price, for a box stall you are looking at around $3000 give or take. For a stall and a half, which is just a straight stall and not recommended, you are looking at around $2000 or so.

Yosemite equine is who quoted me $1800 for my filly from Iowa to Oregon.

In November 2009 I shipped my rescue Paso Fino mare from PA to No CA for $1,200. I used John, Circle S out of WVA, he was great, excellent rig, good communication and she arrived in excellent condition. He now makes regular runs from PA to Central CA because a friend rescues horses from the brokers via AC4H. If your friend can hook up with him on a run back from CA most likely a good deal. http://www.circleshorsetransportation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by goldponies View Post
    Had a horse shipped from WA to Conn and it was $1,500. I used Equine Express.

Interesting, since three years ago they quoted me $2,300 - $2,600 from Northern California to a location near Charlotte, NC. I didn't think gas prices went down THAT much in three years.

Just had a horse come in from Southern CA to Southcentral PA last December and it was about $900 I believe. Rose Creek Farm. It was a difficult youngster and they took excellent care of him. He arrived in top condition, and they had the patience to deal with some of his... moments. Found them on Uship. If you use Uship, just make sure to read the reviews. The more they have to go off of, the better. I have not really had a bad experience with Uship and have gotten some great deals.