The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slimming Down your Calves?

So, I'm hoping to take my horse to a show at the end of next month but the last time we went to a show was 2 years and 10 lbs ago. Needless to say, my field boots don't fit anymore! Obviously, I'm trying to lose as much weight as possible before then, but I'm worried that more exercise is just going to bulk up my calves. Does anyone have any ideas on things I can do to help slim them down? Oh, an buying a new pair of boots is definitely out of the question!

Thanks!

Get them stretched or have gussets (or zippers!) put in. You aren't going to slim down just your calves. If you lose weight, some of it might come off your calves but there's no guarantee, especially if you run or bike for exercise!

Do you know approx. how much it would cost to have the stretched or have zippers put in?

Don't buy a new pair of boots, buy a *used* pair of boots. Haunt eBay and you can find them cheap.

Maybe post in giveaways to see if someone has an old pair they don't need anymore, or ask around to see if anyone has some you can borrow.

10 lbs in two months is doable, but it will take some discipline! You can use a website like The Daily Plate to figure out how many calories you're allowed and then track Every Single Thing that goes in your mouth.

That way, when you lose the weight, your old boots will still fit!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

jump rope
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

I wonder if a person could sweat their legs like arab owners sweat their horse's neck to thin the throatlatch...

Getting a boot stretched usually doesn't cost very much at all, but you aren't likely to get them a tonne bigger.

If you need them to stretch some, try the bathtub trick for breaking boots in. It works on older used boots too- I bought a pair off eBay and the calf was too tight- so I soaked them. Three times and they are so much easier to get on and more comfortable. You just have to wear them until they are completely dry. Otherwise, try to find an inexpensive pair of used boots.

I actually just talked to my personal trainer (I have one because my horse is still in recovery from an injury and I needed an outlet for my energy and needed exercise).

Anyway, I asked him this same question about thighs and calves (my custom chaps dont even zip anymore >.<), my legs are super strong and have built up quite a lot of muscle from the training combined with some riding. He said the best thing for slimming leg muscles naturally is going hiking. Its more dynamic than running or working out at a gym, because you are not repeatedly working your legs in the same way. Basically, any exercise (climbing stairs, weight lifting, running on a treadmill/road, biking) that would repeat movement on your muscles will strengthen and build, whereas hiking on trails and uneven ground will work different muscles at once, so the small tearing doesn't happen that causes building. Plus, hiking is good for strengthening your ankles!

Default Yoga!

Losing 10 lbs in two months is definetely attainable, but it does require cardio and some light weight lifting (lifting weights actually boosts your metabolism even when your resting and helps you continue to burn calories). I doubt you will put bulk on your calves in that short amount of time.

But, the secret to long, lean muscles and tone is yoga. I have noticed a change in the way my body looks since picking up yoga again over the past few months. I do hot yoga (not bikram), but vinyasa-which is more of a flow yoga, so your body is never holding a position for a period of time, and you move with your breathing. The room is heated to about 98 degrees, and you SWEAT!! Your heart rate is elevated, and its quite the workout. If you haven't done yoga before, its so worth a try-commit yourself to it for two weeks, and you will notice a difference in the way your body looks, the way you carry yourself, and you will feel so...clean, I guess is the best way to describe the feeling. Try to find a yoga studio near you, but otherwise, Target actually has a good selection of yoga videos. Good luck with the conditioning and at the horse show!

I lost 12 pounds last month by not eating bread, pasta, rice or processed sugars, basically I avoided most carbs and most calories. Now my new der daus are too big so I need to some how bulk those up :P
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wtsimm
    Sanswill Designs- custom fly bonnets and wither pads:
    http://www.flybonnets.com

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I guess I should've done a search on this earlier because there are tons of topics about boots that are too small! I think I'm gonna try the bathtub thing to see if that helps any.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I wonder if a person could sweat their legs like arab owners sweat their horse's neck to thin the throatlatch...
    Yes, you can. Saran wrap and a kneehigh sock overnight works a treat. But it isn't going to give you a huge amount of give.

OP, start with a sweat overnight and the wet your boots before putting them on, then go ride in them tomorrow. See how it feels. If it's still too tight, get your boots stretched ($15-$20). Then ride in those boots every time until the show!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Sweating with Saran Wrap at the gym (eliptical jogger) worked for me. You might need a knee support over the plastic to help keep it in place. Saran Wrap under knee socks during the day also helps just to prevent puffiness.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Lady O(prah) would tell you to eat nothing white!

several small meals/hard work will take the pounds off.

stand on the stairs and bounce your heels down (like riding)
    will tone and strengthen your calves.

deep breathing > and yes, the yoga was an excellent piece of advice.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

For those who suggested sweating my calves, should I start doing that now, or wait until immediately before the show?

It took me two or three weeks to get into my boots. I'd start now.

I had gained some weight a few years ago and my boots were too tight, another COtH'er gave me a trick, you lie on your back with your legs up in the air for several minutes before you put your boots on. It worked. In fact, I took it one step further and put my breeches and boots on first thing in the morning. Got up, had a shower, lay back down with legs up in the air like a dead bug for several minutes. Then breeches and boots on.

This worked and I did this for a few shows but the boots were still tight so once I actually got a boot rub at the back of my knee, it became badly infected and I ended up on IV antibiotics and in hospital for a week. My leg was HUGE and I was happy I escaped with my leg as the infection was pretty much out of control for days.

I looked like a horse with lymphangitis. It was crazy.

I have since lost enough weight that my one boot fits fine but the infected leg has never completely gone down. So one boot is still too tight...

I am quite intrigued by the calf sweat idea. That hadn't occurred to me. If I was my horse I would try sweating the leg! I think I'm going to try that...
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedoblivion View Post
    For those who suggested sweating my calves, should I start doing that now, or wait until immediately before the show?
    I would do it once before the show to check whether it works for you and if you need to get the boots stretched as well. Repeated sweating over several days won't do anything other than make you really uncomfortable.

Also, I don't want anyone to extrapolate that I'm recommending using Furcin or any other sort of topical under the saran wrap. Just saran wrap and tall socks.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I
    Also, I don't want anyone to extrapolate that I'm recommending using Furcin or any other sort of topical under the saran wrap. Just saran wrap and tall socks.
    I thought I would skip the furacin....

Good to mention it though....
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I thought I would skip the furacin....

Good to mention it though....
    Juuust in case...