The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Possible EHV Outbreak - NJ

Just received the memo below via email. It was forwarded from a local trainer.

New Jersey Department of Agriculture
    Memo

To: Veterinarians
    Date: March 24, 2010
    Re: Possible EHV Outbreak

The New Jersey Department of Agriculture, Division of Animal Health is investigating a possible outbreak of Equine Herpes Virus 1 (EHV1). One horse tested presumptively positive and 3 horses have been euthanized with clinical signs consistent with the neurological form of the disease. The farm where these horses were stabled is under quarantine, as is another farm with epidemiological contact with the index farm. Both farms are in Monmouth County.

The state is investigating all movement related to this incident and will take all necessary measures to protect horses in New Jersey and other states. The Division of Animal Health Laboratory can test horses for EHV1. The samples needed for EHV testing include:

. Nasal swab in viral transport media (highly desirable) or 1 ml of saline (less desirable).
    . Blood in purple top tube (minimum of 10 ml of blood required)

Yes I got it too and have forwarded it. I have more detailed information from people but it is all "heresay" so I will not post it here..

Scarey stuff.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

BarrelinCowgirl3 Guest

the two farms have been quarantined. There are no other farms under quarantine. There are many rumors that there are but the truth is that they are not. Two of the euthanized horses were brought of the farm to a show but the farm had no outbreaks and this was well over the time period for the outbreak to occur. No other horses that were at the show have shown any symptoms.

Default Updates?

Any update on this beyond the quarantines in early April? This has been a very quiet issue and that is a bit concerning. Not to create an uproar but I think an ounce of prevention might be a very good thing to contain any potential outbreak.

I think I am keeping my horses very close to home for a while and wondered if anyone else had heard anything.