The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Meadowbrook carts

I am not sure I am in the right place to ask this question but here goes. Our Hunt Club is having an auction and I would like to donate a Meadowbrook Cart that I have had for over 25 years. The cart has been safely stored in a garage. I have never used it and have absolutely no clue how to describe it accurately but it appears to be horse size, has oak shafts, a white canvas bucket, rubber tires. My husband paid $500 for it 25 years ago. I don't know if it was new at the time of purchase. My husband purchased it from our neighbor who was very active in the Carriage Horses Associations and I believe it came from Martin's Auctions, as this is where all my neighbor's incredible collection of carriages came from. Does anyone know how we can establish a value/price/descripton etc.?
    It is secured up in the eves in a garage and we will get it down to take pictures etc. but in the meantime I am hoping for some clues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

a good meadowbrook can fetch anywhere from 900 to 1200 dollars, fair market value these days.

I am more interested in finding out what else your neighbor has hidden away over there.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    a good meadowbrook can fetch anywhere from 900 to 1200 dollars, fair market value these days.

I am more interested in finding out what else your neighbor has hidden away over there.
    I took pictures of it today while still up in the eves.........it needs an overhaul/cleanup for sure.........paint etc. Now...it was never used just stored so I don't know the work required to bring it back to its orginal condition. As far as my neighbor.........he is 95 years old.........failing health......not quite with it etc. I think everything will go to auction for his estate once he passes. It is so sad as years ago we had many wonderful happy carriage rides with him and his wonderful wife now deceased. I was awe struck when I first saw all the carriages which are now kept in a big old barn with a temp and humidity control system. I am not at all a carriage person so I can't tell you what he has ..........just that there is a wonderful collection of all kinds of carriages. We did go for a sleigh ride years ago so for sure there is a sleigh........plus the carriage that we always rode in a 4 seater plus the driver..tons of harness etc.
    I still don't know what to price this Meadowbrook.....Is is only worth the orginal $500 my husband paid for it 25 years ago seeing that the prices haven't changed that much over the years????????? Please advise.........:>)!

Where in NJ are you????

We are in central west - not too far from Gladstone

Im sure I can locate a driving person somewhere near you who could stop by and look at the cart and give you an idea (guess) of its value
    You always have to remember that anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it

From your point of view, its not really worth putting restoration $$ into the cart as you will rarely get more that what you spent out of selling it

You could do the work yourself but you may also find someone willing to buy AS IS for a cheaper price

Lawn ornament carts can go anywhere from free to a thousand or so - people looking for lawn ornaments can be clueless

A cart in usable shape but needs sprucing up will only bring a couple hundred (at best) at Martins Auction in PA

give a holler back and I'll see who we could hook you up with to look at the cart

Default meadowbrook cart

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    Where in NJ are you????

We are in central west - not too far from Gladstone

Im sure I can locate a driving person somewhere near you who could stop by and look at the cart and give you an idea (guess) of its value
    You always have to remember that anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it

From your point of view, its not really worth putting restoration $$ into the cart as you will rarely get more that what you spent out of selling it

You could do the work yourself but you may also find someone willing to buy AS IS for a cheaper price

Lawn ornament carts can go anywhere from free to a thousand or so - people looking for lawn ornaments can be clueless

A cart in usable shape but needs sprucing up will only bring a couple hundred (at best) at Martins Auction in PA

give a holler back and I'll see who we could hook you up with to look at the cart
    Thank you for your reply etc. I am in Monmouth County. I will be seeing some driving folks this coming week so hopefully someone will come up with a price to put on the cart for the auction. Otherwise I will try to find someone that may want it at a resonable price. It is such a waste for it to not be used and sitting up there in the eves of the garage. I'll post an update if I get any information. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!