The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default spin off of tail bag threads

i have seen 2 suggestion for the type of material of a tail bag used
    nylon or fleece.
    what is the best kind for a pasture kept horse who likes to roll in the muckiest spots?
    would the fleece soak up mud and water...and make his tail dirty anyways?
    and last but not least Is there any special tail solution/shampoo that you wash their tail in before you bag their tail to incourage growth etc?

I have used the lycra ones and the fleece ones. I'd avoid the fleece for turnout. It's going to pick up burrs, stay wet, etc. I got the fleece ones because my gelding would entertain himself by popping his tail with the lycra bag on things to make noises. The fleece bags are quiet! LOL! The lycra ones are slippery, so are harder to keep on, but they don't stick to things. The heavy nylon ones are probably your best bet for turnout, but they are harder to secure in the tail. I used to use the three bag kind you braid, but now I use some fairly heavy conditioner, so I'll braid the tail first and stick it in a bag. I'm using Shapley's MTG on the tail. My mare's tail hair is wirey and tends to break, so I like to condition it well with Shapleys and then it's less likely to break. Supposedly the Shapley's makes the hair grow faster when rubbed deeply into the dock.

okay...i do have a big bottle of mtg,but never really used it long enough really to see results before,so has been awhile since ive used it....hate the smell of the stuff though...anyhways i will see about the nylon ones instead.thanx

Nylon.

I use lycra tail bags and love them. I have never had issues with them staying in.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I used the lycra three-tube tail bags, and had no issue with them in the rain, mud or burrs. I did put on a cream based hoof conditioner (yes, hoof, not tail) prior to bagging, with great results. However, my horse was in a smaller paddock type turnout, and not in a big pasture, so there was not much in the way of things for him to catch it on. But he did manage once to get the knot at the end caught in the gate, and luckily it ripped the lycra before it yanked any tail out, and then the bag came off once the knot a the bottom was ripped off. That was a one-time incident in 10 years of keeping his tail bagged in that fashion.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I like the single tube lycra ones- they stay on well and don't seem to gather anything like fleece does.

I don't ever seem to have much luck with those lycra ones... They just well sort of slid off and I have had to pick up numerous tail bags from the pasture But maybe that is because I always put detangler on the tail after washing to make them tangle free and that makes the tail ultra slippery.