The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cheap jump solutions?

So here's the deal. I recently moved from a very nice Eventer barn with all the amenities one could ask for in a barn to a place that is, shall we say, lacking in the things I need to keep my horse interested in his work. Read: jumps. The barn we moved to is an old QH ranch, and the gentleman that owns it is very much your Western "good-old-boy" type. All his horses are impeccably trained and well kept, but all of them are trained under Western saddle. He has some little tiny jump standards that are falling apart, and no (unbroken) rails to even set up trot poles. Having become accustomed to having jumps readily available whenever I wanted them, I did not even think about the fact that the new barn had none. I don't have a trailer, so trailering to an English barn to school is not an option.

Do any of you have any fairly inexpensive solutions to making or acquiring jump standards and poles (or cavalettis)? My horse isn't picky or overly spooky and will jump just about anything, so any and all suggestions are welcome. Please help!
    There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Landscape timbers make inexpensive, albeit narrow, poles!

cheapie ideas:

pvc poles at Home Depo or Lowes,usually in the plumbing or water dept

leftover lumber from construction sites

moving boxes

hay bales

old tires stacked on top of each other

check ebay for cheap blocks or cavalletti sets

get a jump-building book or instructions from a Practical Horseman magazine, bring a hammer, saw & some 4x4s and start building your own..... maybe if you bring all the stuff to the barn with you one day, you might get some of the handier men interested & get some help building your own!

or: you could just go to a jump site like jumps west or burlingham jumps and order a basic schooling set.

just some ideas for you...

J

Let me see.. I jump over some of the most random things!
    Barrels are a common pactice around here. Use them with poles laying on them, or just jump the barrels themselves! I have landscaping timbers. I love them! I also have PVC poles. I discovered recently, you can make caviltti by placing poles on top of small buckets or feed pans! I also have and old deck gate I use, some saw horses my dad doesnt use, Wicker chairs that were deemed trash because the dogs ate the legs. man I love random things! No wonder my horse is a rather bold jumper!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Go to the dump. Seriously. I know more than one BNT who has made use of this resource in the never-ending quest to stretch her precious dollars. A drill, a saw, and some hardware, plus your imagination, and you will have jumps. Old doors can become fillers. Lattices can be stapled to poles or standards. Lumber is there for the taking - just needs the nails taken out & then saw it to your liking. Old tires can be used in a variety of ways.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Plastic Live Christmas tree stands for the base of your standard and treated 4X4's for the standard itself. I was able to find the bases after Christmas on sale for not much (3$ each). By the time I purchased lumber for standards and bases, I had 8 jumps for less than 125$. Add a reclaimed lumber and other fun, funny looking options others have mentioned and you could have a small course without much money invested.

Inexpensive is great, but please keep safety as the #1 priority!

RR ties, old tires are either cheap or free and you can go a long way with those and a little ingenuity. If you're not handy yourself, you can also advertise on Craigslist for a local handyman-type to build you some jumps/standards according to plans you provide. I had some jumps and my chicken coop built that way.
    Click here before you buy.

Before you invest in a whole lot of anything, try 1 to see if you like it. PVC,I found was too light. It rolled easily and couldn't take a rub or a strong wind without coming out of the cups, nor did it stand up to a draft cross stepping ON them when he was learning where to put his feet. If you are working a green horse it can be frustrating, but a with well schooled horse it may not matter. You can sometimes get barrels from the local farmers (herbicides etc in large amounts come in them) or from a local car wash (the soap etc). Outdoor carpet can be used to make a vertical and oxer look different when draped over, and can make a liverpool when placed on the ground (tarps work as well, but tend to blow around more).

You can fill the PVC poles with sand and get end caps to make them heavier. You can buy different sized orange cones to put under a post and rail. I second getting barrels.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Coops are easily made; you need 2 pieces of plywood/wood of your choice, and 2-3 wooden sawhorses.

I second the landscape timbers- they don't roll, and are great for either ground poles, cavaletti, or jump poles. Make sure you get pressure treated!

Tarps (properly anchored) make great liverpools, or drape and anchor them over a fence for a "coop".

Barrels - not only whole, but if you cut them in half vertically, they make a great "baby rolltop filler", or if you fill them with water, a liverpool!

I like the barrels idea, and the guy who owns the barn has several sitting outside the arena. I'll have to ask if he minds if I set them up to jump! My horse hates tire jumps, so naturally we jump those every chance we get. Do any of you who use tires for jumps just leave them up or do you break them down each time you ride? I would have to be able to store whatever I end up using in a very small corner of the arena when it is not in use.
    There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

I made my own jumps and poles. SUPER easy.

I got a few 8' 4x4's from home depot. I cut them in half, attached a 2' section of 2x6 on all 4 sides so they spindle out and then drilled holes every 3" for jump cups. Painted and I have 4' standards.

I also used the same 4x4's (8') for jump poles. I cut all the edges off on a 45 and then painted them. So I have 8' wide poles which works really well because I have a small ring. I also cut one in half to make a 4' skinny.

I think they look really awesome. I got some old metal barrels that my bo lent me, she has some filler type stuff I use. Straw or hay bales work well in a pinch. Cones, tarps, you name it. Just be creative!

Barrels also work really well stood on end for skinny's.

I second Jazzy's post. I costed it out to the penny (Canadian penny mind you) and the result was:

2X4 8' $4.47 (2) = $8.94
    4X4 8' $8.97 = $8.97
    Lag bolts .87 (8) = $6.96
    Washers .12 (8) = $ .96

+ 15% tax (Ontario....is lumber taxed???) _________

= $29.70

For two unpainted 4' standards. Add $1.26 for 5' and $5.75 for 6'.

Cheap!

Poles are tough to find unless you know some Amish folks but as Jazzy said you can make your own.

I would avoid PVC poles....they shatter very easily. I have heard two stories of horses getting injured (one had a shattered pole shard impale his chest!). Plus they are too light.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Dover sells plank-ends for arond $10/pair. Make a very easy set of planks with a few screws and 2x6x10 pressure-treated lumber.

Flower boxes are surprisingly easy to make. Just stuff with flowers found on sale at Walmart.

You can add weight to the PVC poles by buying caps and filling with sand, but I find the heavy-weight PVC does well enough.

You don't even need flower boxes to have flowers to jump really. We take a landscape timber (can also use vinyl gutter material if you want it white and don't want to paint) and drilled small holes in it, then you just stick the little bouquet of flowers in the hole. It works just fine. Also, in a bind, you can stick the stem of the bouquet in the ground.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Yep, we buy those silk flower bouquets when they are on clearance, and stick them right in the grass around the jump standards and under the rails, to accustom our horses to jumping colorful flowers. Our one pony used to have a lot of stops at shows where they had flower boxes... no more! He'll jump any ugly bouquet you got now! haha Someone told us a good way to make training "ditches" and we tried this last all - it works great: Lay a section of black landscape fabric on the ground and anchor it with two long landscape timbers... It really looks like a somewhat deep "ditch' but is safe and easy to school over. Finally, we found a great cheap way to make walls... you paint a gray colored tarp with outdoor paint - rock wall, brick wall, lattice, anything you please.... then drape it over two straw bales, and tuck underneath. Instant, (soft) wall! They make bale jump covers that you can buy, but making them yourself is cheaper. For planks, you CAN just notch the ends yourself and hang them from the jump cups, rather than buying the metal plank ends, but they aren't as sturdy, obviously.

I found this link on another thread, but perhaps you could find some random & safe objects to turn into jumps... http://my.freecycle.org/
    It's a recycle network run through Yahoo Groups. Maybe you'll find something or get ideas from there.
    One object I've always wanted to turn into a jump is an old canoe or kayak!

They have overturned boats as XC jumps at Kentucky, they are pretty cool. Probably purpose-built as jumps and not originally boats, but they are nice.
    Click here before you buy.

For plastic flowers check the dumpster at a cemetery. Usually in the spring many churches/communities have a "Decoration Sunday" where after church they all go out and freshen up the graves. The old stuff can be great for flower/brush boxes.

Also if you are building your own jumps instead of lag bolts I'd use Timberlok wood screws. A lot easier to use and just as strong--they are pretty standard in XC building.

Plastic Live Christmas tree stands for the base of your standard and treated 4X4's for the standard itself. I was able to find the bases after Christmas on sale for not much (3$ each). By the time I purchased lumber for standards and bases, I had 8 jumps for less than 125$. Add a reclaimed lumber and other fun, funny looking options others have mentioned and you could have a small course without much money invested.
    Does this really work? Can you link me to the sort that you used?
    ---
    They're small hearts.