The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing trainer/lease or shareboards- south of Chicago

I'm a former hunter and equitation rider looking to get back into riding. After struggling mightily to keep my would-have-been adult jumper sound when I was fresh out of college, I eventually gave up the sport in favor of grad school and a career. Now that I've been working for a few years, I'm ready to get back into it, but in a way that would allow for me to experience some success at the lower levels without a pricey warmblood (hurrah for beginner novice! hurrah for local events!).

Here's my current predicament: I'm not very familiar with the Chicago eventing scene-- just familiar enough to know that I don't have a lot of options in my area (New Lenox-- near Tinley Park, Orland Park, and Joliet). I'm looking for suggestions of trainers who turn out sound horses and competent riders at local horse trials at the novice level, and who themselves are respected horsepeople. I'd like to keep the length of my barn commute down, so the north and northwest suburbs are out, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to find a trainer who would have a capable partner I could lease for my first season- or I'd love to connect with someone who is looking for a competent rider and horseperson to lease/shareboard an old eventing partner they no longer have time to enjoy.

Any leads would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

This weekend, March 27-28, Leslie Law is doing an eventing clinic in Peotone.
    It is located at Eagle Lake Equestrian Center in Peotone, Illinois. I'm not sure exactly where that is, But Peotone isn't that large so I'm sure someone would know. Mike Smith owns the place. You could ask around at the clinic for eventing activities in that immediate area.

Contact Kathryn Schiess Z144930@students.niu.edu

She is a very good instuructor and rider, and has quite a few students.

Kathryn Schiess was in the NW suburbs, but she has since moved to SC. Kenny Dierks is a wonderful trainer, but does not have horses available to lease. I don't think I can give you any options that aren't in the NW suburbs. Would the St Charles area be do-able? If so, I boarded at Fox Chase Farms, and Kenny comes to train there. They might have horses available for lease.
    ~Isabel

Default Mike Smith

Mike used to be my vet when I had my old jumper at The Ranch. I didn't know he'd opened his own place!

[I'm ready to get back into it, but in a way that would allow for me to experience some success at the lower levels without a pricey warmblood (hurrah for beginner novice! hurrah for local events!).

I'm also way NW so not too familar with the south suburbs. But, this is eventing, so no pricey warmblood will be needed!

Default The Horse Quarters

Call Karen at the Horse Quarters. They are just around the corner from Eagle Lake and are into dressage and eventing. She might have some leads. It's a lovely facility and they have hosted Ken Borden, Jr. in the past. I love his clinics.

http://www.thehorsequarters.com/Home_Page.php

Not meaning to hijack, but those of you in the NW suburbs, who's around here for trainers? I've been out of the loop for awhile now. PM me if you don't want to hijack the htread any further. THANKS : o)