The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On Craigslist in Houston - 18" Charles De Kunffy dressage saddle $200

I was killing time on the Houston craigslist and came upon this. Could be a great deal for someone

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/1657481174.html

I'm pretty close by and could go look at it if someone out of town is interested.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

That would have to be a big or tall someone, since a friend of mine's 6'4" husband rode in an 18" Steubben. For that price, I would wonder about provenance (stolen?), and/or condition (broken tree?).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    That would have to be a big or tall someone, since a friend of mine's 6'4" husband rode in an 18" Steubben. For that price, I would wonder about provenance (stolen?), and/or condition (broken tree?).
    I'm 5'8" - average weight - and ride in an 18" saddle.

I'm not currently looking for one though... plus I'm not in TX.

My husband is 6'3" and rides in a 17 1/2... just sayin'...
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Quote Originally Posted by hollynanne View Post
    My husband is 6'3" and rides in a 17 1/2... just sayin'...
    Just sayin' I have super long legs

I wouldn't really classify my self as BIG at 150 lbs. or TALL at 5'8". In fact, I think I'm rather average, but still need an 18" seat. I guess I was just a bit insulted by that comment.

Thats a model saddle I've always admired, and I'm not a courbette fan generally. I'd love to get my hands on one one day.

I'm 5'3" and there are plenty of 18" saddles I fit well, there are also some 16.5" I fit well too. its all relative to the person's conformation and the saddle's.... imhe, I find most people ride too-small saddles.
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

I used to have one of these, and loved it. Only sold it because mine was a narrow tree and didn't even fit my light-built, "old style" Thoroughbred, once he muscled up. Think I'll contact them. Sonesta, you come up with the best deals! Thanks for posting.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

me me me !! totally interested !

I have one, and LOFF it! I got mine for just over $900 on eBay, had been ridden in once. Not a mark on it, and the wool flocking has since molded itself to my mare's back. Plus, it's a 34cm and fits my draftie cross! Very very nice saddle.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by paintlady View Post
    I'm 5'8" - average weight - and ride in an 18" saddle.

I'm not currently looking for one though... plus I'm not in TX.
    Interesting. I'm about the same - 5'8", average weight - and his 18" saddle was really huge for me. I'm long from hip to knee, too, so it's not like I have short legs and a long torso. LOL My saddles are 17" and 17.5" and that 18" one seemed just ENORMOUS.

Just goes to show that everyone needs a different fit.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Bought it.

And it's actually an 18 1/2". I don't know how it'll feel for me, but I'm fairly certain it will fit my big guy, DH's big guy, and DH. So, someone will get to use it, for sure.

I've been pretty lucky when it comes to buying and selling saddles. I tend to keep them for a bit, but with ever changing horses with ever changing toplines, my needs end up changing. The one saddle I'll probably never sell is my Stubben Wotan. I used to event in one, and sold it to buy my first dressage saddle. I regretted the transaction almost immediately, and bought my current Wotan about eight years ago. You can bet I won't be letting this one go any time soon. That said, I've probably bought, sold, and traded at least five saddles in those eight years. As I said, needs keep changing.

Well I have a huge ass so I get the biggest saddle I can.

Gayla: Actually, your "seat size" doesn't really have a ton to do with the size of your rear. Its the length of the point from the back of your butt to the front of your knee, when your leg is at a right angle.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Have to disagree with this. Seat size is like jeans size - fit varies by manufacturer. I usually ride in a 17 1/2" saddle. I rode in this 18 1/2" today, and even though I had 4-5 fingers' room behind me, the saddle was comfortable through the twist, and I didn't feel that it was at all big for me. Bad news for 6'2" hubby, who I thought would be the recipient of this incredible buy, but nope - I'm keeping it for myself.

The last saddle I rode in (before this one) was my 17 1/2" Dover Freestyle, with a fairly deep seat and long flap. My all-purpose saddle is a 17" Stubben Wotan, that has a moderately forward flap but plenty of room for my rear,.......which sat ever so comfortably in the 18 1/2" de Kunffy, today.

Oh, and I'm 5'2" tall and a Rubenesque 160 pounds.

I was giving the direct description... but it still stands that the "seat size" isn't your rear.... no matter if they are the same or not. You can have a big rump and still ride in a 16 1/2
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Sorry - we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't believe anyone with a big behind would be riding in a 16 1/2. Not unless they're fond of the feel a leather wedgie.