The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers in Calgary area?

Does anyone have any reco's for trainers in the Calgary, AB area? They do not have to be purely eventing trainers (current trainer is a Dressage/Eventing coach), but needs to be someone who coaches at events...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

What about Sandra Donnelly? Not "in" Calgary per se, but I don't think she's too far away. Her farm's called Albora K.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Yup - found her, but so far she's the only one! I've had a change of plans (see old thread re: Raleigh) and am checking out options in Calgary. I don't know the horse scene there at all...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Check out "Priddis View Farms" They do a bit of sporthorse breeding but I also think they have some trainers on staff.

Willowgrove Stables with Trish Mrakava is always an option. One of her staff trainers Jen Smart is into the eventing scene.

Not to answer your question, but back the the uh, Great "frozen" North, eh?!!!!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Ugh. Don't remind me. I'm trying to figure out if I actually want to do this.

At least if I do, I won't get nailed with HST

Highly recommend Willowgrove Stables and Jen Smart ... went to school with her. Great girl! The farm is great .. friendly and the owner/head trainer (trish) is one of the top certified coaches in canada.

Other farms in area but not sure how much eventing wise they do are:

Anderson Ranch ( home of the Rocky Mountain Show jumping circuit) also John Anderson home farm.... Look up rocky mountain show jumping to find website. They do have some eventing jumps.

Kestrel Ridge Farm - dressage / jumping
    Teesedale Farm -- more of a younger kids school string place

Spruce Meadows is right in Calgary .. so 20 mins from all of those farms. They dont do boarding/training but great shows!

P.

There is Kathy Wayne near Millarville, Alan Wedge but Alan doesn't go to all the events. I'm not sure what Sandra's plans are for this year. She's doing some mid week clinics but I think she'll be based back east this summer.

Some of us just meet up with our coaches at events. Rebecca Lee, Tricia Dahms & Sarah Cunningham are all near Edmonton.

Noel Clark is in Cochrane area but again I don't know what his plans are. You can check out the website www.albertahorsetrials.com and click on the links page. If you click on the news tab, there is the latest newsletter and in it is a bunch of clinics that we're having.

You can always email me personally if you want at diamondr@telus.net. I do the AHTA newsletter.

Nancy!

Trish is great, and does have an eventing background, but caters more to hunter/jumpers. She is good friends with Richard Keller and he comes up at least a couple of times a year to do clinics at the barn.

Teesdale doesn't just cater to younger kids, they have clients of all ages and abilities.

RMSJ aka Anderson Ranch (John Anderson), Attache Stables (Jonathan Asselin), and St. Georges Stables (Frank Selinger) are some choices too, though I don't know how much they have to do with eventing per se. I'd look at websites and visit farms and see which one feels right to you.

Kathy Wayne is really nice too - I've never ridden with her, so I can't help you there, but she knows her stuff.

Polydor - I went to school with Jenn too!
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night