The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EHV-1 concerns in New Jersey

This link provides an outline of some local incidents that could affect New Jersey barns, especially Monmouth County. Please keep in mind that this link is to a discussion forum and not a newspaper article so the facts are changing as they become clear. I am posting this in hopes of encouraging people to follow proper quarantine and sanitization procedures with their horses. If anybody has any more details or helpful links about EHV-1, please add them here.

Mods, I understand if this info is not substantiated enough to stay posted, but if the info is true, then I think it is very valuable for the horse community to be aware of it.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Yeah-this is on Sharon from NJ Killpen Angels Facebook page also.
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

Thanks for posting this. My horse is about 7 miles away from the quarantined facility.

Thank you for posting.

My good friend happened to be at this auction. She bought 2 horses. One was taken in directly by a rescue, and last I talked, they were tying to find a QT place to bring the 2nd horse to. I don't think she was going to bring the horse to her barn near Overbrook. I just sent her a message- I hope she already knows about this. She has a great vet that is a close friend, but still, this is worrisome.

Glad to hear the word is getting out so people can take necessary precautions. Although it appears that Camelot has been deemed open for business by the state vet, I think I'm staying away this week and not doing my usual weekly photos

Bump

Thanks, Sarah! This has been substantiated now. Good idea to stay away this week.

Thanks! After very careful consideration, I actually ended up attending the auction this week, properly following biosecurity measures. As of now, there has been no reason for the state to quarantine the auction, although two barns in Monmouth County are in quarantine.

Bump

This was posted on a local veterinarian practice's website:

http://www.keenanmcalister.com/site/...6439_ALERT.pml

Originally, the outbreak was thought to have come from a local sales barn. While the farm where the horses died did deal in sales horses, the dead horses were all boarders at that farm and did not come through the sale. It is now thought that the original exposure was at a team penning event. There are no cases identified as coming directly from the sale. There was a horse from the sale barn that died shortly after trailering to the new owner's farm, but there was no testing done on that horse and the body was disposed of. We will never know the cause of that horse's death.

The original farm, as well as three others that trafficked in horses from that farm, are under quarantine. In addition, several equine rescue organizations that dealt in horses from sales barns and the quarantined farms have voluntarily stopped their activity. The sales barn is not under quarantine. All of the facilities involved are in the Jackson, Farmingdale, Howell area.