The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GPA and CO fit question

Hey there,

I have a GPA kids helmet and it fits good. So few week ago my young mare got me off and in the dirt. Now the visor part is a little bit broken and I had to tape it. So for shows I need a new helmet. I was thinking about getting a CO Wellington Pro or Classic or a Hampton. Which one would you recommend? And is there a size diffrence in between GPA and CO?

Hope someone can help me

I think you need to go try them on. The sizes are not consistent (I've found) and the CO has a totally different shape than the GPA.

If your GPA fits well, you might try an IRH if you're wanting a diffrent look or not wanting to shell out that kind of money. They're similar in shape IIRC.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

You need to throw away the helmet with the broken brim. Just because the rest of it looks ok doesn't mean that the helmet will protect you in a fall again.

As far as your new helmet goes....try them on and buy what fits you best in your budget.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

If your GPA fits, a CO may or may NOT fit. The different models have different shapes. For example, I fit a GR8 great. I also wear an older model GPA Textium. The Titium, however, doesn't fit me at all!

You'll really have to try them on and see
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Thanks a lot! I have the problem that my head is kinda flat on the backside so normaly i have to put my ponytail underit somehow.....

Oh and the visior part proke when i collided with the lovley neck of my horsey, my head never hit the ground. Oh god I looked like I had botox in my lower lip only on one side! Thanks my horse!

If your GPA was purchased recently you should be able to contact them and fill out an accident report and they will give you a considerable discount on a new GPA

In my experience CO & IRH's fit pretty much the same.
    GPA fits like no other.

I personally do not like the fit of my GPA. Makes xtra space on the sides of my head and tight from front to back.

CO & IRH are a perfect fit.. well, for my head!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    In my experience CO & IRH's fit pretty much the same.
    GPA fits like no other.

I personally do not like the fit of my GPA. Makes xtra space on the sides of my head and tight from front to back.

CO & IRH are a perfect fit.. well, for my head!
    to me the CO and IRH do not fit the same... the CO fits me perfectly, the IRH gave me a headache having it on for 5 min in the tack store! the IRH is more circular, the CO more oval...

if you are having a problem with too much space in the back, im not sure CO is the way to go... because, IMO they are more elongated, oval shape than the GPA is (which also hurt my head-- too tight back to front)
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.