The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half pads

I'm going to be in the market for a new half pad. After 5+ years of never leaving my saddle( except to wash etc) and on multiple horses a week my Fleece Works is basically falling apart.

So the million dollar question is what does every one use/like/recommend? Of course I don't want anything super expensive but feel free to post those too in case I win the lotto in the next few weeks!!! If not I'll just enjoy the browsing!

thanks!

I'm not a big half-pad person, but I do like the ThinLine sheepskin half pad.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I love my mattes pad, and it has been worth more than what i payed for it!!
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

I'm enjoying my new-to-me FleeceWorks just fine! A lot of people I've known seem to like the Beval half-pads too

Mattes pad or beval are great!!

I have both a mattes and a Dover half pad and prefer the dover pad. It seems to have retained it's fluffiness in the wool better than the Mattes. Granted, I'm only riding one horse a day, but there'snothing between the horse and the sheepskin. Both pads have been washed in Woolite and air dried (takes about two days for the Mattes, three for the Dover).
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Mattes all the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

ThinLine all the way! I use a comfort pad for everyday, and use a "regular" TL pad with my shaped fleece for shows. It has held up great and makes a HUGE difference in the horse's comfort.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I love the Beval suede top half pad - it has held up really well and is nicely priced at $ 127.00

I love my Christ half-pad (http://horsedreamimporters.com/pads.php). They're well-priced, and they have a ton of options. Mine washes extremely well and looks brand new every time I fluff it after it dries.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

If I have to go sheepskin I go mattes. But if you want one of the most amazing half pads ever go for olgivy

Fleeceworks.

Well - what do you need? Is your saddle too wide for the horse/horses you ride so you need the extra bulk of sheepskin to take up the difference?

Or does your saddle fit so well that shoving a big sheepskin or beval pad in there is going to be a bad idea, making things too tight?

I am a Thinline person.

If you need sheepskin - I would say either their normal sheepskin half pad (comfort pad) if your horse doesn’t need the seam break in the fleece or their saddle fitter sheepskin pad if he does.

If you don’t need bulk and just want protection – I like the Trifecta half pad with sheepskin rolls.

I have a Fleeceworks that I like. I love my friend's Engel and Mattes pads too though. I've also had a chance to ride in an Equine Comfort pad and that was nice. So far, I like my Fleeceworks the best because I can remove/insert shims to adjust the fit to each horse(it's a bit pricey though).

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree that it makes sense to consider what you want the pad for before deciding which one might be best.

Personally I love my Mattes half pad; it fits nicely under my (properly fitting) saddle and provides just the right amount of cushion under the seat. When I was dealing with (my own) back issues, I used a Thinline pad, which definitely increased my comfort. If I had a slightly-too-wide saddle and/or a horse that had back issues, I might go for "more pad" ... like the Beval or Thinline fleece.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I love my mattes pad, but anything similar with a spin crease I think would very similar- fleeceworks seems fine to me!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Thanks everyone it'll give me a lot to look into! I don't want or need anything super thick, my fleece works was a saddle pad with sheepskin under side and the withers. It was just a little "extra" my saddle fits fine with out it or with it and if I have a hard to fit horse it's usually all I need.