The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Question Looking for oval, not round, helmets

Any suggestions on velvet helmets (ALL velvet covered) that are oval and not round? (Charles Owen helmet lovers need not post. ) Something that also doesn't look too much like a mushroom cap would be good, but isn't necessarily expected.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

The Troxel Grand Prix Classics are nice. Some brands come in regular and long oval sizes - so look for those. The Charles Owens also tend to run more oval. The GPAs and the regular Troxels run more round.
    Last edited by joiedevie99; Mar. 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

The Charles Owens GR8 and JR8 are definitely oval, not round.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    (Charles Owen helmet lovers need not post. )
    I am confused by this...my head is very oval, so much so that supposedly "long oval" helmets don't even fit.

The CO Hampton is gorgeous, the lowest profile velvet helmet, and the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. And it's not that expensive either.

Do you just hate the brand?

I can't find any CO's that are vented enuf that I don't die in the summer....

I have an oval head. I have both a Charles Owen Hampton for showing and an IRH ATH SSV (for everyday and trail riding). I've found both to be pretty comfortable. IRH specifically sells "long oval" sizes. However, I find the Charles Owen Hampton to be lower profile. Not sure what you have against them either.

Maybe nothing against CO, but maybe they don't quite fit so she's looking for other options.

I have an IRH ATH SSV as well, in a long oval. It's not velvet, but IRH does make some velvet helmets in long oval. The IRH fits me better than my CO skull did, though it doesn't sit down on my head quite as much. But as the padding has conformed to me, it's just wonderful. I love it.

Troxel makes a velvet helmet, but I find them very hard, and thus uncomfortable. My friend loves them though.

I have the IRH Olympian and love it! Its very lightweight, low profile, and has small vents as well. Mine has the thinner tan leather straps, which I like much better than the black ones.

I tried the GR8 and CO Hampton before the IRH, and really wanted one of those so I could go back and forth from the hunter ring to dressage, but the IRH just turned out to be the most comfortable.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

The IRH long oval is a good fit for the egg headed such as myself. Super comfy in comparison to previous helmets.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Thanks for all the suggestions! The reason I'm against CO helmets is because they are more round. Thus the reason I focused on oval shaped ones and didn't really care about CO.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I have an IRH long oval (sorry, not sure of the model, but it's velvet-covered, with thin tan leather harness straps) and I LOVE it. In 30 years of riding and helmets, this is the first one which is so comfortable that I actually sometimes forget to take it off when I dismount. Love love LOVE the IRH long oval... And it was fairly cheap too, a little over $100 IIRC.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"