The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exercises for Strengthening the Back/Building Topline....

...when you don't have any hills?

I have a surcingle and side reins and have been using them to lunge her in. But other than that, what can be done?

This is an OTTB that I got in November. She's great, but she was under weight so we have been building that up (some of you may remember my thread on that a while back) and have been doing lots of flatwork in the sand ring to build up muscles. She has little to no back muscles to support any jumping at this time and her hind quarters are coming along, but still lacking.

Unfortunately I live in an area where hills are a hot commodity and generally don't exist.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I used to walk my mare over a 4' course. That got her using her back and haunches, hocks, and served to help muscle her up.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Oh. I just read further that she is not muscled and doesn't have the strength to carry her over jumps correctly to start with. I gave my example for a horse who is jumping in good condition but if I wanted to strengthen her.

I suppose you could walk her over 2'6" jumps, however much of that and she is going to be achy and sore, so do so sparingly to start, and be sure to keep her massaged and warmed up and be sure her sadddle fits.

You could gallop her; I would want to take her out on trails and trot forever to get her conditioned.

The best flat in the ring work would be dressage. Its all about getting her to use her back and topline, and moving off her haunches and hocks and being light up front, which takes strength through her back and condition, and is the basis for jumping, so can't be beat for flat work for a jumper, in my opinon. Large circles, spirals downs, getting her to hold her inside shoulder up and not fall in, all at a trot, bend around your inside leg, accept the bit, etc. and doing this for an hour or hour and a half, every day, will condition her well.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    ...when you don't have any hills?
    Unfortunately I live in an area where hills are a hot commodity and generally don't exist.
    We're in the same boat living in Florida. We actually "Built" a small hill, when the land was being cleared, which was supposed to be the site for our gazebo, but has been used to walk the horses up and down instead.

Aside from that, I second the suggestion to go out on the trails and go for long trots and a few gallops.

I've also done quite a bit of raised trot grids to make my horses stretch through their backs and engage their hind end.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

We do a lot of trail riding right now and my lessons lately have all been focusing on dressage basics with her.

Being an OTTB she's just going to LOVE the galloping sessions.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."