The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Equisport Memory Foam Earplugs?

I am having a heck of a time finding an earplug to stay in my horses ears!

I have tried cotton and the regular horse ear plugs. He shakes them out in 2 minutes!

He is 2 and needs them to focus better. I don't want to use them his whole life, but the first day at the horse show it is a must have!

Do these earplugs work? It seems like they would stay in, but do the horses tolerate them?

His ears are normal size and I have tried numerous size earplugs and no matter what he seems to shake them out. He also gets really annoyed now because I am always trying to put them back in!

Help!

I just tried the memory foam ear plugs. they popped right out with one half-hearted shake on my horses effort.

In my opinion, the best earplugs are the Pomm earplugs. They look like black rubber golf balls. They are very soft and I have yet to have a horse shake them out.
    Four Seasons Farm
    Four Seasons Horse Sales
    www.fourseasonshorsesales.com

Go to the Walmart or Target and buy the little cat toy foam balls - yes they are in bright colors, but they cost about 25 cents each. Then spray them with the black spray that you can use on horse's legs to cover up scars.

They totally stay in and are about 1/10 the cost of the rubber balls they sell at the tack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by LH View Post
    Go to the Walmart or Target and buy the little cat toy foam balls - yes they are in bright colors, but they cost about 25 cents each. Then spray them with the black spray that you can use on horse's legs to cover up scars.

They totally stay in and are about 1/10 the cost of the rubber balls they sell at the tack shop.

That's what I do--same thing as the POMS at 1/10 the price and i've never seen a single one come out. My horse shakes his head with the fuzzy pom pons, but he doesn't with the cat toys.

Cat toys! They are *the best* earplugs. And cheap.

Another vote for the cat toys. Mine tolerate them quite well and they stay in much better than any thing else I have tried. I like the bright colors for at home so I remember to take them out and can find them when I drop them! I color the "show" version with a black magic marker and tend to not clip out the inside of my horse's ears as much to hide them a little better.

Pomms are the best. Cat toys are basically the same thing.

I really like the Equisport earplugs, but I don't really have a problem with my horse trying to shake them out. You can twist them pretty tight to put them in and I was told when I bought them that you can trim the ends a bit if they were too big (I haven't had to do that though).

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

so the cat toys don't actually come out?

The equisport ones seem good because you can squeeze them to a small shape and then they form to the ear. I just wonder in they are uncomfortable because they puff up and get tight in the ear canal.

Any more suggestions?

I will get some of the cat toys and try them at home to see if he can get used to them.

Thanks!

I came across something new this winter-Plughz, look just like the cat toys and are sticky enough to stay put. My super ear-sensitive mare tolerates them and doesn't shake them out. Not sure if they are the same as the Equisport ones. Bevals carries them:
    http://www.beval.com/Products/Plughz...s/0067005.aspx

Original Poster

those look like they would work too!

The equisport ones aren't round. They both say they are memory foam so maybe same material, but the ones at Beval look a lot smoother.

So round and smooth, or tubular and not smooth!??

I had pretty good success with them! I used them in a rather ear shy horse who never had worn plugs and once they were in, he didn't shake his head or seem irritated. I gotta admit, I forgot about them until I went to turn him out after our ride and he had been in his stall like an hour, and they were still in...

When I found the Equisport Earplugs on SmartPak, I was ecstatic and jumped at the chance to buy a bunch. In theory, they are the 'perfect' earplug. So far, I have tried them on four horses, and all four of them shook their heads to the point of such distraction that I ended up pulling them out and riding without. I'm not sure what about them caused the issue, but all four horses acted the same way. I haven't given up on them yet. I'm going to try trimming them and putting them in further, and less deep to see what the reactions are. Two of the horses I rode in them were horses, and the other two ponies. I did cut them down for the ponies, but maybe not enough.

Original Poster

see, thats what worries me. The fact that it might be more uncomfortable because it expands and puts pressure on the ear canal.

Maybe if you cut them to a perfect size. Maybe the round smooth ones would be better. But they are totally round and the Equisport ones are tubular.

I don't want my horse to hate me, I just want to make sure he can't hear everything!

Original Poster

any more ear plug experts?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I use the cat balls. They truly do stay in. The bright colors are helpful at home b/c they remind you to take them out.

I thought I had found an amazing source of black ones (magic balls) but they were too soft and didn't stay in.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thumbs up Cat Toys are the BEST

They stay in, they are super cheap, easy to find. Just need to either spray paint them black, or take a sharpie and make them black all over.

Horses can't shake them out - never had one of them shaken out. I think they are a little sticky, the right size, and comfortable for the horse so they don't shake their head.