The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default trapping feral barn cats

I need to trap and relocate a rather aggressive feral cat who has taken up residence in the barn. Hava Hart trap with canned cat food hasn't worked and we can't get near him otherwise. Any helpful suggestions from anybody with similar experience ?

You are going to drown it once you catch it, right?

Default NOOOOO, not drowning a cat

Good Lord, I could never drown a cat, I'm the world's biggest cat person ie no one got anything for Xmas this year bc the real barn cat got a $2,000 new hip. Who does that for a barn cat ? I could have bought a new horse for that. This cat will either be truely relocated or given a chance at the local ASPCA.

1) Is the Have-A-Heart trap big enough? I've found that, with the truly wild ones, sometimes the "cat" size is just not large enough--they don't want to go in. Try the next size up.

2) Also, where do you have it placed? I'm sure it's not just out in the open, of course, but try wedging it into an even tighter place, like between some hay bales or something.

3) Slow and steady wins the race....I've been luring a pair of dumped (and very scared) house cats into my trap....they are not ready to go right in, but they will eat from a plate right in front of the door, on top of the cage, etc. Make it part of the environment, something that's no big deal. Then, lock the door so it won't fall, and spend a week or so (after the week or so of "normalizing" the trap) just slowly moving the plate of food further and further into the trap, until he's in there eating happily and one day you can just set it to close!

4) Try something stinky, like tuna or the regular food with clam juice or something along those lines. Sometimes they need something particularly appetizing to tempt them.

Good luck! Being a farm, we get house cats dumped here all the time. If I can't catch them right off the bat (poor scared things) they usually go right into the trap the first day or two. But these two that I have right now, because they're so buddy-buddy and FREAKED OUT about being outside, are not so keen about going into the trap. But they are now eating from a plate just before the spring-plate, and within the next few days I'm going to set it. Hopefully the one left behind won't wise up!

Default Thank you for that second post ~ RELIEF !

Thank you for your second post ~ I ,too am a feral cat person ~ I would think that if you neuter him he will not be as aggressive - that has worked on our property - tough to get some of the older Toms trapped but when neutered they all have seemed to stick aroung in a happier manner and stay for the food source without disrupting the entire community. Good Luck ~ I always trap and release in the same area so they know their environment ~ I do not recommend this cat for adoption - at ASPCA - too confining and he will remain scared and aggressive ~ takes alot of time to tame a feral for adoption. IMHO ~ I have feral barn cats and feral ~ Domesticated ferals= "derals" as house cats.. Simply love them in all environements ~ they are so smart. Again ~ so glad you are helping this cat find his way. BRAVO !
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Mar. 23, 2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Sorry, I just couldn't help it, after the last skunk thread.