The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Safari for foxhunters?

Anyone want to go on a custom horseback riding safari with me in October? I have a good friend who is a guide in Kenya and he's leading a custom safari through the huge northern ranches and Mount Kenya. The guy who organized it has placed at Badminton and Burghley and they have 4 spots left. It's for hard core riders only (i.e. foxhunters!) because of this guy and his friends' riding abilities, so I'm hoping to find a couple of other first flight balls-to-the-wall American foxhunters to go with me! Lots of galloping with giraffes and gazelles across the African plain and plenty of jumps. I've been with the company before and the horses are excellent. Anyone interested?

I think the main question to be asked is :

What's the pricing?

And what needs to be done before going over? I know there are a lot of shots involved, etc.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    I think the main question to be asked is :

What's the pricing?

And what needs to be done before going over? I know there are a lot of shots involved, etc.
    Ha, yeah probably a good idea Dates are October 18-28 (which means we would leave Oct 16th and land back in the States on the 29th). Cost is $8,000 and includes pretty much everything except airfare (like transfers, lodging, alcohol, horses, game park fees, etc). We would alternate between camping in the bush and luxury lodges (I think 5 nights camping, 5 nights at lodges). 20 staff to us 12 guests!

Last time I went, I got yellow fever and typhoid; you will need tetanus, polio booster, and Hep A and B if you never got them. I'm not sure we'll need malaria pills, I didn't take them last time but went to a different area. We will also need visas in order to enter Kenya and those are $25 which we can do in advance. I have a big Word file he sent me with the itinerary, PM me and I can send it to you. I think it will be the trip of a lifetime! (And with super cool eventing/hunting folks to boot!)

All thos miles in borrowed tack sounds like a pain in the bum to me.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Sounds amazing!!!!
    Could you PM me more info.

Definitely on my 'to do' list some time soon, but not this year- doing Russia and Prague and the WEG!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Definitely on my 'to do' list some time soon, but not this year- doing Russia and Prague and the WEG!
    I'm going to WEG, too. I'll practically be going straight to Lexington after the safari. Can't wait!

Just curious....Who is the guide/safari company for this adventure?

Sounds amazing!!! Would love to do it at some point but probably not this year.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by flyaway View Post
    Just curious....Who is the guide/safari company for this adventure?
    The company is called Offbeat Safaris and the guide's name is Mark Laurence. He used to have his own safari company called Siruai Safaris, but recently moved to Tanzania with his family and just does one-of custom safaris now.

What are the jumps like? How high???

Mark Laurence? Mark Lawrence? I grew up with a Mark Lawrence in a place called Molo, Kenya. His dad was a white hunter.....one and the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Mark Laurence? Mark Lawrence? I grew up with a Mark Lawrence in a place called Molo, Kenya. His dad was a white hunter.....one and the same?
    OMG that's crazy! Totally the same guy! You grew up in Kenya? I'm insanely jealous! I'm so in love with it there. If I wasn't married, I never would have come home. Anyone who goes might have to drag me on the flight home as it is.

Jump sizes vary between 3'-4' Masai brush fences and trees knocked over by elephants that can be as low as little logs or closer to 3'6".

P.S. You might know his wife, Carla, as well. Her family has a huge ranch that borders the Mara but I can't remember her last name. I think they knew each other growing up.

Be careful with the Malaria meds - there is a good med and a bad med and the bad one can cause weird weird things.
    I'm not sure but I thought Kenya does not allow hunting. Understood that you will be riding not hunting, but something I cannot support.

You are correct, hunting is illegal in Kenya.

Default Riding with Mark

FWIW, I rode with Mark when he and Carla were operating Siruai Safaris and just wanted to throw in my "two cents".

His ride was absolutely one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had (and I have taken well over 70 different riding trips). While I don't often respond to the "what was your favorite ride" question, I do tell anyone that will listen that the time I spent with Mark in Kenya significantly impacted me. It was one of THE most amazing and moving experiences I've ever encountered on a commercial trip.

And his horses (as well as himself) are truly top notch. I lost touch with him and Carla (and their lovely daughter Tobina) when they moved to Tanzania) so I am delighted to see that you've connected with him.

I'd love to re-connect with him too - if you can pass his info along.

Enjoy the trip - it will be the best one you've ever taken. Period.

(and yes - you have to get shots but in the end, the shots you get will last for the remainder of your adult life, so you'll be able to travel anywhere afterward. And again, fwiw, I took the malaria pills (even though Mark said they were unnecessary, until about half way through the trip as they made feel poorly. Once I stopped, all was superb)

Have a great time - and let me know how it goes!