The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

galagphantom Guest

Default Summer camp activites??

Hey so I'm trying to help put together an equestrian summer camp. Anyone have any ideas of some fun activities to do with the kids? It'll be a day camp not a boarding one...

Fun things we do at our camp (very beginning riders, horse program NOT the only camp focus) include:

M - stop/start/turn basic instructions

T - obstacle course to practice steering/control/focus (includes a Z made out of poles to walk through, bending poles, log to step over, barrels to 360 around, poles to w/t over, etc)

W - bareback day (nekkid day) with steering practice over obstacles

Th - games day (red light green light, boot thief, tag, simon says, trail ride)

F - candy trail (bags of candy hung in trees along the trail)

shooflyfarm.com

Trail rides if you have trails.
    The lipstick game-sitting trot while putting on lipstick

Hotdog game-hotdog on a stick tied with a string, someone holds it and rider has to get to it take a bite (spit it out) and get back the fastest.

Design your own course and ride it

Little barrel racing or pole bending is always fun and different

Ride a buck-dollar under the bum and call out different gaits, whoever can keep the dollar there the longest keeps it.

cup of water-trot or canter around with a cup of water for one or two min. and then the person with the most water in the cup wins

egg and spoon-call different gaits, last with the egg in the spoon wins.

I'm sure I can think of somemore, been a while since I helped with summercamps.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

finger paint a horse day-or to make it educational help finger paint the digestive tract on the horse.

Go fishing if you have a pond or lake

have the farrier come for the day and talk to the kids while doing someones feet

buddy pick up-If the riders are not complete beg. and horses are good. Run down pick up a friend off the ground and canter back. Timed

A schooling show for the parents is a must. If there aren't enough kids for that, do a drill team type exercise in front of the parents. The kids are so proud of themselves and the parents feel like their money was well spent.

Another thing the kids really liked when I directed a camp riding program was a day when we dressed up and took glamour shots on the horses. These were girls, and we luckily also had a theater program at a camp to borrow fancy costumes from, but it could be modified for everyone. At the very least, let each kid sit on his or her favorite horse and take a digital picture you can print out and send home with them. They make really special mementos. My sister and I still have ours from a camp 15 years ago!

Oh I forgot the underwear race. Go buy the biggest underwear you can find. The kids one at a time will go at what gait they please to the end of the ring, get off put on the huge underwear get back on and head back to the finish, this is also timed.

Team clothes race-Teams of 2's usually works best. Have a kid dressed in an oversized shirt and shorts, maybe a tie or jacket etc... on the horse they have to race down and get off change clothes with teammate and teammate has to get on and race back, also timed.

I could probably go on and on and on and on . . if I can remember all from way back when.

Typically, it's the time they are not ON the horse that becomes the challenge

- Parts of the horse with sticky notes (you label note, they stick it on right part)

- Bridle build race

- arts & crafts- get one (or more) of those tubes with 10 or so little plastic horses in them, scrap cardboard, and have them build a barn/stall and paddock for horsey with sugar cubes, glue and popsicle sticks

- I had a work book done up with all the necessary lessons, (parts of the horse, saddle, normal vital signs, etc) there were worksheets for them to complete and some coloring pages

- arts & crafts - get those unpainted ceramic thingys that used to be so popular and plop them down with those and some paint.

- arts & crafts - decorate old horse shoes so they can make their own "Good Luck" shoe, glitter, ribbon, paint etc

- absolutely host a show and pizza lunch for the parents on last day. I had all the kids bring stuff from home to dress their horses up with, that was pretty cute. we did a very basic mounted drill (mostly dead beginners)

- get the Pony Club's mounted games book and pick those most suitable for your level of kids

- we had tee-shirts done too, helps distinguish the camp rug rats from all the regular ones

- types of bits, stall cleaning , bathing, watch the farrier, watch a big kids lesson, teeth floating's always a hoot if that's going on

- PROPER leading around obstacle course

I may remember some others and there are pictures around here somewhere . . .

good luck!
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

teaching camp (if you have a good group of kids) is SO fun!

-if you have a very patient grey or light palomino horse, have the kids draw on them with sidewalk chalk. super fun, and the chalk washes right out!

-make labels/sticky notes with the parts of the horse on them, and have the kids stick them on the appropriate body parts of a patient horse. this can be a competitive game/contest if you want!

-for more advanced campers, split them into two (or more) teams and take apart one bridle per team, mixing the pieces up into a pile. see which team can put the bridle back together the fastest.

-if you have a digital camera/printer, take pictures of each camper with 'their' horse, print them out, then have them paint and decorate old horse shoes, and glue the picture to the back so it makes a picture frame.

-another fun activity is to take pictures during the week, then on the last day of camp print them out and have campers make a giant posterboard collage of all the pictures, funny things, drawings, and messages from the week.

-a game our kids LOVED was 'student-instructor reverse.' the other instructor and i got on our horses, and the kids got to give us a 'lesson.' usually it ended with 'drop your stirrups! now canter! now jump!'

-if you have all girls, they might like giving the horses soapy baths and show-sheening their tails, putting on hoof oil, and making the ponies pretty.

-we also always gave 'awards' at the end of the week, for things like 'most improved' 'best helper' 'funniest' 'bravest' etc. and had a little 'awards ceremony'. the kids loved it and it helped everyone to appreciate each other's strengths.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Hey caradino, did we run the same camp?

Too funny.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Hey caradino, did we run the same camp?

Too funny.
    LOL i was thinking the same thing! great minds think alike!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

galagphantom Guest

Thank you everyone so much for the great ideas, they are very helpful and much appreciated!!