The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who Manufactures Dominus Saddles

Who Manufactures Dominus Saddles. I think mine might be broaken and want to know what if any warranty/guarentee they have.

TIA
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Peter Menet, I think, no?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I can't tell if it is Peter Menet or if the company "dominus name/rights" have been sold....??

I have one of the older ones made by Menet, i believe, because I have seen the new ones and mine is not simialr to them. Mine also has some type of notation under the flap.

i am thinking its wishful of me to think a guarantee would be held if the company has been sold...hmmm

ugh... no one manufactures them anymore! You can get a saddler to work on the leather, but if the tree or any of the insides are broken, there isn't really anything you can do. I have one with a broken stirrup bar sitting in a closet.

I have one as well that I bought used for a really great price. I was having trouble finding something to fit my leg and didn't want to spend a ton. The bad thing about the saddle that I didn't notice when I originally bought it is that the panels underneath are uneven. The previous owner must have had a horse with some serious back issues because you can see where one side is more compressed than the other. I was hoping I could get it reflocked but was told by a County rep that it wasn't possible. The horse I ride now has his own custom saddle so I haven't been using mine. I hope that I will be able to use a mattes pad and adjust the shims to make the saddle a bit more centered in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by The Centaurian View Post
    ugh... no one manufactures them anymore! You can get a saddler to work on the leather, but if the tree or any of the insides are broken, there isn't really anything you can do. I have one with a broken stirrup bar sitting in a closet.
    ackkk ! I must have a thing on picking saddles that will go extint. The sadle I had before that was a Zaldi - the older nicer ones.

But for your stirrup bar. I think that is fixable. Mine broke 2 years ago, the pin holding the bar in broke and the bar fell out and I took it to our local saddle repair man fixed it for about 70 bucks. he had to cut into the flap high up, where it is covered by the skirt; its not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

you are lucky it could be repaired! my stirrup bar is crimped so it digs into the thigh of the rider. Its mind-boggling to consider what could make metal do that! I opted not to have it welded... just not safe anymore to ride on compromised metal.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Peter Menet, I think, no?
    Nope.

Here's the long and short of it. To Keep1Belle, I'm sorry to say that Tap2Tango is right.

The original Dominus line was designed by Peter Menet but manufactured by Harry Dabbs. Dabbs manufactures for all sorts of people, BTW. As an example, they manufacture the Thinline reins sold by Thinline.

Although it was manufactured by Harry Dabbs, the saddle brand name "Dominus" was actually owned by Millers/Eiser (a long-defunct company, some of their goods still survive under the Ovation name but it's not the same company making or distributing them).

The Dominus saddles were discontinued years ago. I don't have an exact date, but let's just say "Around the time that Peter Menet realized that he was really onto something, improved the design, and began making Amerigo in Italy through Selleria Italiana." 5 to 10 years ago, at least. So any saddle tree guarantee that would have originally existed is probably long gone, especially if you are not the original purchaser.

I have also deduced over the years, by shopping for a Dominus dressage saddle, that the saddles changed in quality and build over the years. It was literally a testing ground for Menet's design ideas.

Also, since they were only a mid-range brand to begin, many of the Dominus saddles that I saw on the used market were in less-than-good condition. They were not built to the endurance level of, say, a Stubben or a Passier (both very high-end lines back in the day before the advent of Antares/CWD/Amerigo/Devoucoux/etc.) In my search for a Dominus dressage saddle, I saw more than a few broken trees. Several had cracked leather on the seat. Some had no structural red flags but were just plain worn out.

At some point recently, like in the last two years or so, the brand name Dominus has been sold to Weatherbeeta. Of the few Weatherbeeta Dominus goods that I've seen, it's an entry-level line comparable in quality to Chetak or Kincade.

I have heard tell that there are Weatherbeeta-made Dominus saddles that are equally "entry level" and not up to the previous line's standards. Having never seen one of these Weatherbeeta/Dominus saddles, I cannot comment.

You know you've got one of the original, older Dominus saddles if it has Dominus printed all over the inside sweat flap. Allegedly the Weatherbeeta-made Dominus saddles don't have this.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Nope.

Here's the long and short of it. To Keep1Belle, I'm sorry to say that Tap2Tango is right.

The original Dominus line was designed by Peter Menet but manufactured by Harry Dabbs. Dabbs manufactures for all sorts of people, BTW. As an example, they manufacture the Thinline reins sold by Thinline.

Although it was manufactured by Harry Dabbs, the saddle brand name "Dominus" was actually owned by Millers/Eiser (a long-defunct company, some of their goods still survive under the Ovation name but it's not the same company making or distributing them).

The Dominus saddles were discontinued years ago. I don't have an exact date, but let's just say "Around the time that Peter Menet realized that he was really onto something, improved the design, and began making Amerigo in Italy through Selleria Italiana." 5 to 10 years ago, at least. So any saddle tree guarantee that would have originally existed is probably long gone, especially if you are not the original purchaser.

I have also deduced over the years, by shopping for a Dominus dressage saddle, that the saddles changed in quality and build over the years. It was literally a testing ground for Menet's design ideas.

Also, since they were only a mid-range brand to begin, many of the Dominus saddles that I saw on the used market were in less-than-good condition. They were not built to the endurance level of, say, a Stubben or a Passier (both very high-end lines back in the day before the advent of Antares/CWD/Amerigo/Devoucoux/etc.) In my search for a Dominus dressage saddle, I saw more than a few broken trees. Several had cracked leather on the seat. Some had no structural red flags but were just plain worn out.

At some point recently, like in the last two years or so, the brand name Dominus has been sold to Weatherbeeta. Of the few Weatherbeeta Dominus goods that I've seen, it's an entry-level line comparable in quality to Chetak or Kincade.

I have heard tell that there are Weatherbeeta-made Dominus saddles that are equally "entry level" and not up to the previous line's standards. Having never seen one of these Weatherbeeta/Dominus saddles, I cannot comment.

You know you've got one of the original, older Dominus saddles if it has Dominus printed all over the inside sweat flap. Allegedly the Weatherbeeta-made Dominus saddles don't have this.
    Thanks it is an original older Dominus/imprinted flap - I bought it in 2003 at Rick's Saddlery. Guess I am out of luck. I really like my saddle...boo. On the bright side I bout it for 700 or so bucks and got 7 years use out of it. So I guess thats ok when I do the math.

Thanks for the info