The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My mare is pin fired in both fronts. The scars are extremely light, and only really visible (and barely) in the summer. I never gave it a second glance, since it is even on both sides I was fairly certain it was preventative and she's never taken a lame step.

Then again, not many things are absolute NOs with me with horses... I have had 3 cribbers (out of 4 horses)!!!

I have known people who wouldn't buy them, but for aesthetics and it was hunters. I'd hope that trainer would do some research and make an educated decision.

If a prospect has been fired it bothers me not at all. Any discipline. If he's bowed, it truly depends on what I see/feel and what his job will be. Slabs, especially in the knee, terrify me. They really need a sedate career like lawn ornament or dad horse. That's my take on it.
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

I've never seen pin-firing scars. Anyone have pics?
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

They just look like a bunch of little dots in a small group, size of the group depends on the area, injury, etc. You could probably google it
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelurus View Post
    I've never seen pin-firing scars. Anyone have pics?
    Very organized dots:

http://images.google.com/images?q=pi...N&hl=en&tab=wi

The third one from the top left is attached to an article from horse and hound. It may be a good read.

Thanks Ajierene. That article is a good, brief, read :-)
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I had this big long novel typed out, deleted it, and find myself reduced to: trainer is an idiot.
    Agreed!

I am resurrecting this because today I was informed my pinfired horses legs were scarred...and No One competes at the UL of eventing with Pin Fired horses...seriously...its not an unsoundness nor indicater of...it is not a knock at a PPE and unless the horse is going to stand on a strip line for conformation where it would be penalized, who cares if it has pink polka dots as long as it gets the job done, moves and jumps exeptionally and has a good mind and is sound..pin fire marks..last thing I would be concerned over...and flat shins with no profile either...

3 members found this post helpful.

We had an advanced level eventer in our barn with highly visible pin fire scars..

Back in the 90's - and he competed in three days - real three days with full endurance day. He was a very sound horse.

I had a horse who had been pin fired; evented him up to Prelim, which he's still doing at 17. Never had an issue with it at all.

My 1.40m jumper is a 98 TB & he's fired on both fronts, straight down for "preventative" measures before he ever went into race training. Never had an off day. Still competitive in the 1.15-1.20m & PACKS my students around at 3'6". I'd buy another in a heartbeat. His didn't scar too bad, just barely noticeable if you walk up to him.

That's a good crock of shite! Always entertaining comments from people who have never stepped foot on a backside. I say get out there and prove em wrong......
    Forward is good

1 members found this post helpful.

Pinfired shins mean nothing to me. I don't even give them a second look (and I'm very critical when buying horses) unless they're in a decorative design.....
    Seeing scars on a more "exotic" location gives me pause about what the initial injury was.
    The thought that having a horse that bucked their shins as a baby at the track and was pinfired is somehow less of an event horse prospect than one that bucked their shins as a baby at the track and wasn't pinfired is about as dumb as pinfiring is in the first place. It's just harmless scars by that point.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a 2009 OTTB that was pinfired. Sold for $$$ at Keeneland and started his career with a very well known trainer, so the practice definitely continues.

Agreed (too tired to look and see if I agreed before)! My 2005 model has both shins pinfired and has wonderfully solid legs -- and is a fabulous jumper. Silly people.

My horse was pinfired (for splints) & competed successfully for several years to CCI** level, placing at NAYRC--never had a problem w/ it. Used to be, you could hardly get an OTTB that wasn't fired.

I have a TB gelding who did low level eventing with a bowed tendon and pinfired leg. It never gave us any trouble!

What's shocking is someone supposedly knowledgeable enough to get to the four star level not understanding, or knowing, what pinfiring is. Obviously a one-horse town....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Franklin evented to CCI*** level with pin-fired front canons and extensive scarring as well - both from his previous career on the track.

You can see his scars here:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

and a pic with his former owner - they won a CCI** that weekend:
    http://www.eventingnews.com/storiesa...Horse%20Trials

I made the difficult decision to retire him this week due to his coffin joint arthritis.

I work for a vet and whoever told you that, had absolutely no idea what they are talking about. they pin fire for several reasons. including getting a soft boned horse to lay down more bone across the shin to so they can go on a train them. also for bucked shins. I have an event horse that was pin fired, and never, ever a problem. mostly done as 2 yr.olds.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"