The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else missing out on Rolex this year?

After 6 straight years of going to Rolex and volunteering I will be missing this year due to college exams.

Anyone else missing out on Rolex this year?
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

Ummm, well possibly. I groomed last year, and if she goes to Rolex instead of Badminton will probably again. Thing is being 8 months pregnant by then I have to see if the Dr will let me go. Badminton is out of the question because do to airline regulations & when I would be flying home I would be too close to my due date. Also if anything happened and I went into labor in England my husband may kill me! I told him to look at the bright side though, our daughter would have double nationality!

This is the first time in 7 years I am not going to Rolex! Well, we are going to WEG instead. So we are reasy to book for 2011 though...I ma going to miss it and the horse park looks so nice this time of year....I hope they show some of it on TV...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Yep. Me and the SO are missing out, which is unfortunate because we have a friend running.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Ummm, well possibly. I groomed last year, and if she goes to Rolex instead of Badminton will probably again. Thing is being 8 months pregnant by then I have to see if the Dr will let me go. Badminton is out of the question because do to airline regulations & when I would be flying home I would be too close to my due date. Also if anything happened and I went into labor in England my husband may kill me! I told him to look at the bright side though, our daughter would have double nationality!
    I don't think England grants citizenship based on being born there. Sorry!
    I went the last two years (just started eventing in fall of 2007). I am sad I'm not going this year. Originally I hadn't planned on going because I was going to do a CT with the horse I was leasing. (My horse is recovering from an injury.) Well, the horse I was leasing came up lame in January, and is still lame, so no competing for me this season. Now I wish I had at least asked for a 4 day weekend off--instead I am just off the weekend, and KY is a bit far for the weekend!

I've gone the last 3 years, but I won't be able to attend this year due to the WEGs. Although, I have to say, it's not too bad of a trade off... I'll just be glued to my computer screen the entire weekend watching the live feed.

my group also opted for WEGs this year.....
    and who knows if we'll have recovered financially to go next year.....

on the bright side, hoping to introduce mr asterix to hunter pacing that weekend since we'll be here...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Unhappy I may have to bail out

and it kills me because I already bought my airfare and grand stand seating (though not admission general admission ticket yet). I am getting hit left and right with unexpected bills that I had not planned on (dental...lousy coverage from my PPO, moving my horse to a new barn.... i.e. cost of shipping plus security and first months board). If I had known all this was coming down the pike I never would have booked the flight. All this stuff came up at the last minute and I am uneasy about spending more money for car rental, hotel, etc.

Hopefully, Hughes-Carr will still provide the Internet Live Feed.

I have never been to Rolex but I do plan on going before I head to England for college
    For your information, I do ride like a girl

Meh, exams! Rolex fell the weekend right before my first Neuro exam first year of vet school, and right before midterms last year...I went anyway

I'm planning to go this year, even though I start clinical rotations next week but there's still the possibility that it won't work out. If I do go, I'll most likely be helping out the veterinary team for the WEG test events.

Quote Originally Posted by WishIWereRiding View Post
    I don't think England grants citizenship based on being born there. Sorry!
    Well then that blows my one argument out of the water......oh well. Don't think hubby would go for it anyway.

Default *sigh

This would have been our 10th year running at Rolex! We're sitting this one out so we can make it to WEG! I guess it's a fair enough trade. But I will still miss being at Rolex!

I'm still waiting on this baby to get here If he makes his due date, then he'll be one week old by Rolex. I might be able to sneak over there for a bit of shopping, but kinda doubt that it will be much more than that this year. I am going to get my mom & brother to go to the dressage test event while they're in town though
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I haven't been a few years anyway but I am going to make it to WEG! At least just for cross country day!!! It's on my birthday so it was like kismet!
    Grab mane and kick on!

sigh, me too. It's only a 3 hour drive so we always go.

I've been working for the Census this winter, and now hired on into the spring work. I need the job. Me too, expenses came up. DD's last year of college and she ran out of funding, I cooked the oven out of a 24+ yr old stove, so replaced all the kitchen appliances (NOT my idea of a 'wish list!'), medical insurance (self-employment) went sky high and horses to maintain.

MaaayB we can shoot down there at the last minute, have to wait and see. It was SO much fun last year to meet so many COTH members there!! It's always an annual reunion party with old friends.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

I haven't been since it was a 3*** in 93' I grew up for several years in GA but then we moved back up to Canada and ever since haven't been able to afford to go boo hoo...hopefully one year! Almost went in 02 to groom but had to stay behind as there was no one to look after the horses.
    Would love to go the WEG's though!!

Yep, have to save for WEG.

I have never been also. Very sad! Every time I try to save money to go something happens to my special needs son. I thought about going this year but as most have replied WEG is it for me this year. I am really hoping that one day I will be able to go, as everyone I know goes because we live in TN!! Oh well maybe next year!