The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ever use those headphone thingies?

When taking a lesson, have you used those headphone amplifiers where the trainer talks normally (instead of screaming and loosing his voice by the last rider). I can't remember the names of any of these little gadgets. I'd like to get one but I don't want to waste my $. Thanks.

I've used them as a recipient. I find it very useful, not only can I always hear my coach's instructions, but it helps when there are more than one trainer working in the same space. I find it helps me focus too, as I know that I'll be able to hear my coach and won't miss/misunderstand an instruction.

I vote go for it!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Thumbs up

YES!! and it is the best thing ever! i've always suffered in lessons not being able to hear...and i love that the trainer is literally in your ear- for some reason i seem to absorb the instruction much much better.

Yep. We use the Eartec one, and it's good for the trainer at home so she doesn't lose her voice, and it's EXCELLENT at shows so I can hear her over all the other trainers yelling.

I have a hearing problem, even with my hearing aids. It has made a world of difference. Not only do I now hear all of my trainer's input, but both of us have a much lower level of frustration and tension.

I just used one for the first time in a recent clinic. Totally worth the money. It's like having the instructor right there on the horse with you. No shouting or straining to hear. It did make life tough for the auditors though.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    YES!! and it is the best thing ever! i've always suffered in lessons not being able to hear...and i love that the trainer is literally in your ear- for some reason i seem to absorb the instruction much much better.
    SAME

Good for the horses to they don't associate a grounds person with better riding.

how much do they cost?
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

I love working with those on!!!!....Helps me focus on MY ride....on the "down" side for my trainer......when my mare and I have "catfight moments" he hasta turn HIS volume down.....Don't forget if you have the piece where you can answer your trainer that they can hear EVERYTHING you say while you're ridin (ask me how i know).....

my old trainer lost her voice and made us wear the head phones for lessons. it worked, but i was a bit wierded out having to share ear phones that someone else had used the lesson before. i guess if you got your own it would be better.

we used them in the deKunffy clinics. the folks near him could hear and the rider could really hear well. It took a bit to thread the wire through the helmet (which I always wear) but I finally figured it out.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

My favorite clinician has them and they're fantastic! Especially if you're riding in a big arena, or you're outside and it's windy.

You're not having to spend any energy or brain power trying to hear the instructions, you can just focus directly on the riding and what the instructor is saying.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Default thanks

I was afraid it was one of those "good ideas" that never worked as well as you thought it should. I'm off to see what i can find!

yes, when they work they are great. When they start cutting out they are not great. Make sure your trainer wants to use them before buying them.

I liked them but my trainer stopped using them because they were eating batteries.

Love 'em.

I call them the "brain transplant" because I can be so much more focussed and in the moment with them on.

However, you do have to be careful not to get toooo focussed if oyu are sharing the arena with anyone else...

Is there a cheap way to go about rigging one up? I mean walkie talkies are what, $20? Can you buy some sort of ear thingy to go with a walkie talkie? Anyone got any good cheapy systems? What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I call them the "brain transplant" because I can be so much more focussed and in the moment with them on.
    Haha, i always call it my " being john malkovich" device.

Yes! Super great. Walter Zettl uses this nifty little device--perfect for those cold weather clinics!! I think it was attached to my helmet by a very large scrunchie type thing...don't know for sure though. Still an awesome device though!!

of course you can always use your handsfree earphone/microphone from your cellphone and just have a loooong cellphone conversation.
    I suggest you DO NOT TEXT WHILE RIDING however

In Canada these communication devices are not legal in the warmup or show ring.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Cat: funny, probably illegal in NC now, at least while driving! Our barn got together the year before last and chipped in to get a set for the barn manager/ trainer. She loves them! They really help and are great on a windy day. She was losing her voice and trying to use a megaphone. I think you can use your own head phones. I think the over the ear ear buds might stay in ok, like for your ipod.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello